The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (530 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34~35 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Armando Lucero is just masterful! Man, like the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, Al Schneider (and relative nods to Michael Ammar & David Roth as well) could not have known of all the magnificent possibilities of his great Matrix effect. It is one of the greatest seeds ever planted in the art as seen by all the wondrous interpretations that show a modest house transform into a great mansion of many rooms.

I have posted about this in the past, but it’s worth being shown again here. It’s what it looks like when you kick things up a notch along these same lines. It’s some of the most beautiful work I’ve ever seen on the subject. Start at about the :30 mark…

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
For me, Armando's Matrix is the best, most beautiful Matrix I've seen.
Luis Olmedo's Matrix is also very, very good but my absolute favorite is Armando Lucero.

I saw Armando live with his Matrix Routine at a magic convention
I will never forget that.
That was an experience in my life... that was something special.
This feeling is difficult to describe, but this moment, these few minutes were beautiful.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think I might agree with you dj, Lucero’s work and approach is just beautiful and hard to beat. But what I like about Patricio Teran’s Elements is just that, that he uses other things in his presentation, and I think those other/ different pieces lend greater interest, especially everyday things like a key and ring. I have actually played with bits & pieces of it. I think the overall moves and actions are similar in a lot of ways, and both show great finesse and overall mastery. But all in all, I think they both epitomize some of the highest levels of progress on the effect. I would like to know what both men thought of the other’s work? Smile Also, while I believe in the simpler things, it is hard to fathom that people could see all this and believe that the basic Matrix is still as good as it gets. Oh well, to each his own, I guess. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2024, Mb217 wrote:
Armando Lucero is just masterful! Man, like the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, Al Schneider (and relative nods to Michael Ammar & David Roth as well) could not have known of all the magnificent possibilities of his great Matrix effect. It is one of the greatest seeds ever planted in the art as seen by all the wondrous interpretations that show a modest house transform into a great mansion of many rooms.

I have posted about this in the past, but it’s worth being shown again here. It’s what it looks like when you kick things up a notch along these same lines. It’s some of the most beautiful work I’ve ever seen on the subject. Start at about the :30 mark…

I was a professional editor for several years in my career, earning an Emmy award for my work. I can spot what others perhaps may not.

If Roth and Ammar had the benefits of editing available to the masses today with relatively inexpensive software and a decent laptop computer...eliminating frames, and speeding up video in certain key moments to kick things up a notch...then their routines would have looked differently as well.

Lucero may be remarkable, but one should take magic effect marketing videos with a grain of salt.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I hear ya, and congrats on that Emmy. Smile I think the trailer was definitely styliized for greater interest but having seen the actual work, I can tell you that all of it is real and doable, except of course stuff like the tape going backwards, gratuitous jump cuts here & there, etc., and I do hope folks could recognize that as not being really doable but just part of the video fluff, like when they make car commercials where the car jumps ridiculous lengths, or something like that. Smile

And yes, if all the technology now was available years back I have no doubt it would’ve also made greats like Roth & Ammar even greater. But at the core, you gotta be good to begin with and they were. I also think that that same technology, marketing etc., would’ve done the same for greats like Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, or Bill Russell, etc., as it did for Michael Jordan in his day. It all has a lot to do with him being considered the GOAT. But I digress and appreciate the larger discussion of great magic whenever & however it’s shows itself.

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
I would have preferred to see this chink a chink without the effects. The routine looks great, but the presentation is rather confusing and makes it harder to evaluate what you are seeing.
I like to look at comparable routines like chink a chink vs matrix. What advantages or disadvantages they have and which one appears more magical and why.
Watching masters as dj posted, makes me look at it differently again. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have always enjoyed the barehand coin assemblies over the ones using cards. I think both are magical enough but there’s something about the magic happening with just your hands, that for me, just can’t be beat…It looks like real magic to me! I fell in love with watching Roth’s simple take on this early on, and while I like and respect Matrix, well, I guess it’s another “to each his own thing.” And the good thing is, it’s all good. Smile

Anyway, here’s another one from Patricio Teran, without a lot of the maybe confusing pizazz of the first post, that may take away or at least remove any question of the sheer beauty of his creativity and skillful authenticity of his technique.

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is my idol.
Gary Kurtz and his “Full Frontall Assault”.
This is a very old video, a private recording in a magic circle.
This is a rarity. There aren't many videos like this.

For me, Gary is the best close up magician and above all the best coin magician ever. I miss him.

When you see him demonstrate these very sophisticated coin techniques with incredible ease... unbelievable.
Not only this "Full Frontal Assault", see his mamut routine "Misty Like A Dream".
Just like here, always a smile on his face no matter what he does.

And I've studied both of his routines ("Full Frontal Assault" and "Misty Like A Dream") and when I perform them I can't laugh, more like cry.
But he laughs.
I miss Gary in our magic. Coins and cards world.
Unfortunately he completely distances himself from magic and he only does mentalism.

Anyway, enjoy Gary Kurtz with his incredible "Full Frontall Assault" routine:
https://youtu.be/o4cqU9G_xkc
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Edit
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2024, dj wrote:
Here is my idol.
Gary Kurtz and his “Full Frontall Assault”.
This is a very old video, a private recording in a magic circle.
This is a rarity. There aren't many videos like this.

For me, Gary is the best close up magician and above all the best coin magician ever. I miss him.

Thanks for the video.

I really like his books/notes, "Leading with Your Head" and "Misdirection and Direction".
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Gary Kurtz is a great one alright, and he’s got some wonderfully magical effects to prove it. He’s another one you don’t hear much talk about around these parts. But you don’t ever want to forget his work in coin magic. It is so immediate and in your face, also so very casual…He is in total control. I always thought Silver Dream reminded me a bit of his brand of magic. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, this guy is so good. I’ve posted on him before, but I just wanted you all to take a good look at what coin magic looks like when it looks this good. Smile I didn’t know it back then, but from the very first time I saw him, he was one of the very best I’d come to ever see in this part of the art.

GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, Mb217 wrote:
Man, this guy is so good. I’ve posted on him before, but I just wanted you all to take a good look at what coin magic looks like when it looks this good. Smile I didn’t know it back then, but from the very first time I saw him, he was one of the very best I’d come to ever see in this part of the art.

What's so mind numbing is I own and have studied Eric's DVD where he teaches this routine, and I was still fooled by the final vanish. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, this is a great routine by him, and as it has been said…”Every once in a while, someone comes along that stuns the avant garde…” That person for me in my time was absolutely Eric Jones. I don’t want to recant his history here, but he became a world wide sensation, and deservedly so as he really is that good…perhaps even better than that, truth be told.

I can remember long ago now (right from this forum), he sent me an old video of him doing one of his early versions of Karate Coin, that became his, “Tai Chi Penetration.” Man, it was stunning to watch then and even still to this day it is still quite dazzling. And I have always seen it from that day to this as the absolute best version I have ever seen on the subject. His creativity in the effect is magically jaw dropping. If anyone has not heard of him or seen his work, that should be your next piece of study (and the next after that) on this part of the art. He learned from the old guard but raised the bar much higher with his unique brand of magic, charm, & style.

Highly Recommended!

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I really like this guy, besides being a really good closeup performer, he just enjoys so much what he does. His bubbling personality just makes you smile and enjoy his magic even more. He also happens to be really good at coins as well. Not sure if you’ve heard much of him but if not, then now you have and I implore you to check out his work…:)

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, I grew up loving C/S tricks, and I actually came up with a few good ones along my journey, like my Copper Silver INC. But once again, here’s a nice little trick, again done by one of the rest of us from the great out there. Smile It’s nothing fancy but it is quite clever and extremely magical to watch. This is the sorta little trick my grandpa would show me every now & again, always something I would come to never forget, just like him. It don't take much. Here, see for yourself. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Here’s my take on this. As I said, Copper Silver magic is fun and I’ve tried something like this above but I’m sure it’s done differently. Smile I used to do this one regularly for people as part of my everyday/ everywhere I went set. It eventually blossomed into the longer effect I mentioned above. This is just a little piece of it… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
OK, OK…I got quite a few PMs about this little play with Copper Silver, and as I first mentioned above here, it is something from my Copper Silver INC. offering on the website. It is a culmination of all the thinking I did about the old effect and wanting to magically bring about 2 different coins going from one hand to the other and back again, even going to the spec’s hand. It took me quite a while to figure out how to do this but with some real magical creativity, I did it. Smile And it remains one of the very best pieces I ever came up with, in fact, for a good while it was the only coin trick I would do…it was just that immediately amazing to people. Behind all of this I have been playing with it again and it still makes me smile… Smile Anyway, as requested, here’s the actual effect.

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Here’s another guy you don’t hear much about as to coin magic around here, but he is really good. I remember working on a coin set project where he was one of the contributors and he is just a creative genius when it comes to this part of the art. He has been featured on Penn & Teller Fool Us and on Penguin LIVE, so he’s the real deal. He represents a lot of good magic coming out of Chicago. He has a new offering out, a download on Coins Across. It’s got some interesting SOH+ work on it, and his magic is always worth checking out…:)

www.tomdobrowolski.com/product-page/a-sh......s-across

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I really love magic as there’s just so many wonderful parts of it. Sure, it’s fun to specialize in a particular part of it, but I love when you can do so many other things, y’know, “variety is the spice of life.” Smile Anyway, within the many aspects of the art are sub-parts, and many people like to involve themselves in that as well. So, it’s not just about doing the magic but talking about it or reviewing it. There are several excellent reviewers, but I find this young fellow to be quite exceptional. Here he reviews a novel new coin trick, actually a coin in bottle effect. Looks like a neat little trick and you’ve heard the old adage, “even a kid can do it.” Well, he can, amongst many other fine closeup tricks. This one is pretty visual, but I’ll let him explain it to you…Take it away, Blake… Smile