The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (530 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..33~34~35 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
A good friend of mine is in Florida and spent some time watching a guy that I saw years ago on Penn & Teller, and he did a very clever and remarkable coin routine…flawlessly! It was beautiful to watch and I’m so glad to have been reminded of a magician that should never had been somewhat forgotten. Here, see for yourself, *starting at about the 2 minute mark…

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
A good friend of mine is in Florida and spent some time watching a guy that I saw years ago on Penn & Teller, and he did a very clever and remarkable coin routine…flawlessly! It was beautiful to watch and I’m so glad to have been reminded of a magician that should never had been somewhat forgotten. Here, see for yourself, *starting at about the 2 minute mark…

Wow. Just wow. So well done & enjoyable.
Fooled me in many ways and in a good sense.
Thanx for sharing Marion.....hadn't seen this.
One can appreciate the work & thought put in for this. It is something I would believe the majority here may be familiar with from THE book.
Just shows that one can take an older idea....& with lots of work and thought...can turn it into a miracle.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I've always been a fan of that coins to pocket, but I actually like his other act on Fool Us even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLs_No8qMi0
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3352 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Both of these 2 pieces of magic are exceptional!
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
On May 20, 2023 Tampa Magic Club will be holding a one day convention. Jafo is on the bill along with Doug Conn and Erick Olson. Dan Sperry will be making a Special Guest appearance. For those of you in the area who may not have been on the mailing list, here is the website. Love to have you.

https://www.tampamagicclub.com/festival-of-magic.html

Bill
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks for the big heads-up here, Bremner… Smile

Man, an interesting mixture that seems like a real winner of an event. If I was going to be there, I’d certainly be in the house. Some excellent magicians in a great magic venue. If anyone is in the vicinity of all this magic going on in Tampa, try your best to get there and see some good coin magic and what the great & immediate variety of topnotch closeup magic is all about. Smile

Highly Recommended *****
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, I remember this… Smile I got it from Tannen’s Magic Shop in NYC, seems like a hundred years ago now. Always loved the immediacy and trickiness of the little thing. Tannen’s was filled with neat little pocket magic like this using coins with other household items. People don’t use pennies much anymore, but I remember when… Do you? Smile

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Mb, it is the matches I find that are not getting used much any more.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
...BUT matches are recognizable. I would think a motivated magician would be able to put together a very enjoyable routine with matches. The classic sources are out there AND by applying a little imagination to other (non-matches related) tricks one could easily be creating many "new" effects.

Now if only I was motivated... Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I agree Julie. There are some interesting things that matches can be used for, other than arson Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I remember first seeing this trick as a kid and was just completely fooled by it. Happy I had enough to buy it that day. In checking out how it was done, I was just amazed by the cleverness of it, as it made me better aware of so many things as to magic, like misdirection, subterfuge, patter, etc. It was just a neat little trick. So much that when I began recreating my old magic box of tricks, I bought it again to display. Smile It reminds me of the sorta stuff my old friend and giant magic creator, Steve Dusheck used to rig-up as to so many magical things he shared with me. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know some of our guys here are craftsman, but this is just on another level.

Maybe not exactly magic, but somewhat just as amazing to watch.. I can see a routine where one of these is switched in and then out again for some real wonder and impossibility.

Yet another aspect as to coins that make them so very special and interesting little things to build upon into much more than they are… As Mr. Spock would say, “Fascinating!” Smile

marco1
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of marco1
I saw this fellow doing a trick which included visually dropping a half dollar into a purse frame and vanishing. Looks amazing! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8GK2MvFaww
I love it and wonder if that fellow came up with it own his own? Murphy's Magic in conversation, didn't know if it was something new coming out or how the effect was pulled off. Anyone have any thoughts?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 5, 2023, marco1 wrote:
I saw this fellow doing a trick which included visually dropping a half dollar into a purse frame and vanishing. Looks amazing! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8GK2MvFaww
I love it and wonder if that fellow came up with it own his own? Murphy's Magic in conversation, didn't know if it was something new coming out or how the effect was pulled off. Anyone have any thoughts?

this can be achieved use the Schneider Basic technique with no gimmicks, but I'll guess there may be one involved here.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice little bit, but yeah funs, I would agree as to both things. Smile

People forget how great a piece of magic the invisible coin purse is, just a wonderful little thing that I have used myself and continue to carry around as just an instant piece of unbelievable magic. Smile

Anyway, along these lines, this is way better with much more of a little routine to it. And again, by a wonderful magician many might not hear much about here, but that’s what I do in brining you coin magic from the big, small and all of us. Smile

marco1
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of marco1
Lovely! After 60 years of doing magic, I guess I'm fooled by the purse frame bit you linked to, though the one I linked to, showed the coin falling through the air and vanishing as it visually dropped into the purse. I must admit, I'm not familiar with the Schneider Basic vanish. Does David Roth have anything close to it?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Schneider Basic vanish. Does David Roth have anything close to it?

Not to my knowledge or on any DVD I have seen, but he was influenced by Al Schneider's material on False Transfers.
This approach used Predictive Vision, and I am not suggesting that is what this performer used.
Not sure it is not virtually enhanced, but I am suspicious of photos and videos offered today.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:

This appears to be similar, if not identical to a version of Al Schneider's Snap Back Vanish.

See this video at 1:30 in.
https://www.worldmagiccenter.com/WMC/SHOWMOVES.htm

Al Schneider's Basic Vanish is shown here at :14 in.
https://www.worldmagiccenter.com/WMC/SHOWMOVES.htm
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
...though the one I linked to, showed the coin falling through the air and vanishing as it visually dropped into the purse.

Watch that video at 25% slow-mo and you will see the coin falling down, past the purse frame and out of the shot (ostensibly onto the floor). He sells it going into the purse with his look and actions after the drop.
marco1
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of marco1
Yes, at the end it drops through the purse and out of the picture frame but at :06 he simply drops the coin into the purse frame and it vanishes as it goes past the top of the frame the left hand is holding.