The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (530 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..20..23..26..29..32..33~34~35 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks for all the new interest in this…It’s one of my favorite on-the-move tricks to do. Every time I might want to re-think it, I tend to leave it just as it is, because it just an amazing little piece of SOH. It’s magic just the way I grew up with it, immediate and fun. Glad people are checking it out again. You’ll love learning this one, and you’ll always have it in your pocket to perform any place, any time. I’ve done this at big corporate events, at dinner & birthday parties, in Lowes, at church, in the doctor’s office, and for children of all ages… It’s a real reputation maker. Thanks again for all the renewed interest, guys, from all those new to the table, and all those that continue to appreciate & enjoy a good meal again & again. Smile

https://mb217magic.gumroad.com/l/WtloD
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I appreciate all the interest shown here in PMs, loads of good questions. I will address some more openly here:

1 - Is this package for the beginner? I really want to give it a try.

This is more of an intermediate offering. You need to know the basic coin moves to make things happen, plus there’s a few moves that take some practice to get down smoothly, as all good effects do. I hope it gets you working hard, because you can do it if you put for the effort.

2- Why do you do only one change in the “SPE’L” effect?

Because I didn’t want to bog down the effect with a lot of back & forth, as is the case in a lot of One Coin Routines. I can do quite a few nice changes, but for this on-the-move trick, less is more, as the handling goes on to show even greater impossibility.

3 - In “Gone,” is the magic hard to do?

I don’t think so, it is a wonderful move to learn and always deliver some unbelievable magic right on the spot. Plus, there are several ways to do this, and besides how I teach this version, I would direct you to something like Bobo’s Coin Magic for greater reference.

4 - I like the rhythm of both effects, did you always pace your tricks like this?

No, I didn’t. The fluidity of the tricks come from my presentation of them. Like in any good trick, getting down the moves well will help you make it all sing together. I have purposely presented these 2 effects together as they flow well with one another, and allow you to clean up from one to the other. Smile I would always tell you to do what The Great Rocco told me once when I showed him a trick in the airport. I was showing him something, and I did it so fast that I guess he couldn’t see it good. He realized I was a bit nervous, patted me on the back and told me, “Son, just slow down.” Smile

When you become confident with everything, there’s no need to for speed, because you understand what & how what you’re showing is seen. That in itself will help you develop confidence in your presentations.

Here’s an example of what I mean, when everything just comes together for you… Smile

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2022, RobertApodaca wrote:
A lot of strong magic in this thread. I commend you for you dedication to your craft. Inspires me to improve my coin work. I can do a basic for coin matrix but that's about it. My coin vanishes are okay in practice but during audience performance, I feel too nervous and lose my palms or flash too much.

Why, thank you Robert for the kind words and recognition. Smile

Beyond being thankful for my overall experience in coin magic, I wanted to cite the many different varieties and people that take part in the art, and they run the gambit from beginners to seasoned pros. We all don’t mention the big, small & all of us as to the art, but we all take part and grow in its pursuit. For many, it is a lifelong term of endearment, others go in & out of it, and some often come back to it along the way. But it’s always here for us, with many other streets intertwined, like for me a little card magic and closeup stuff. Smile

I would encourage you to keep going, as only good practice develops your presentations. Confidence comes with better understanding and doing. Matrix is a good one, and for sure coin vanishes amaze people to no end, but look more to learning good coin routines because they better involve you in more of what it takes. Something like Gadabout Coins is a great one to learn, practice and present. There’s so much of what good coin magic is all about in it. Of course Bobo’s is a good place to learn the basics & beyond, but so is Bill Tarr’s, “Now You See It, Now You Don’t.” Nice coin section there and wonderful step-by-step drawings to help you along. Nothing so hard here, but real effort will push you forward, as it has done all of us. Smile

Thanks again, and I’m so happy that you and countless others enjoy what I’ve done here. Smile

StevenR
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of StevenR
Thanks for sharing all the various videos and insights on coin magic.

It's been an interesting read / watch.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Nice going Mb217. Also to Robert...it is like the old joke of how to get to Carnegie Hall (asked of a guy carrying a violin case) and his answer was "Practice!". I also wanted to take this opportunity to mention why you've never seen me perform at conventions or in contests etc. Or lectures. I just don't perform for magicians. Period. There are plenty of places to work where it is just regular people. I'll share routines in written form, but my "style" of performing I can do when there are no magicians in the audience, but if one walks in, I clam up and get off the stage as quick as I can. Seriously. But as for a whole room full of magicians, no way. The reaction from people who don't watch magic all the time is really fun.

Back to you. I've been wanting to do that after the nice plug you gave me a short time back. Best wishes.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
How do you know if a magician walks into the room if it's not one you recognize?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
How do you know if a magician walks into the room if it's not one you recognize?

You have to be to be a mentalist too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
That's true. I am. Anyway, I used to know the magicians that were on the scene. Now I might not...point is, I don't perform for magic groups. Simple enough. My real point is that many guys only perform for magicians at their clubs, and look to perform for magicians such as on Penn and Teller or in contests for magicians (such as FISM). Surely you can tell which camp you're in...liking to perform for magicians or liking to perform for laymen. And doing lectures is in the "magic for magicians" categories. My other point is that there has been so much exposure and I consider Pen and Teller's show to be almost exposure...they pick apart tricks..."May the 'force' be with you" etc., to the point that the general public knows more than they used to which has caused a hybrid of magic where everyone is doing a kind of "magic for magicians" style almost all the time.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
P.s. I'm not saying one way is right and the other way is wrong. I'm just stating that I like one camp and not the other. Some guys can co-exist in both groups and it isn't an issue. What happened was Mb217 paid me a compliment and I was directing an answer of sorts that included why I'm so underground, to Mb217.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
If you know me, then you know it’s not all about me as I like to make you aware of good coin magic from my he big, small & all of us…Here’s the latest from a real powerhouse of magical thinking & doing…Danny Goldsmith.

You won’t believe your eyes…WOW!

https://www.dannygoldsmithmagic.com/bleeping-101-j

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lotta interesting stuff here posted on coin boxes lately, and loads of good routines out there, but I have enjoyed a couple of good ones for a while now as there is just so much good coin work & presentation happening here beyond the boxes, and not from giants but from us.

Not sure you’ve ever heard of or seen these guys, but remember, from the big, small & “ALL” of us our art comes forth… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know we all love coin magic here, but it’s good to take a break sometimes from anything. I personally like to admire all sorts of magic, and particularly appreciate whenever you get to see a real champion of champions in anything. Our money-makers of SOH & misdirection are off the charts in this one. Incredible creativity and just mounds of amazement & surprise makes for just about the best magic of all… Enjoy! Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I didn’t want this to be buried within layers of the tomb, so I wanted to bring it out front here…

I remember this guy from when I was growing up in Harlem, NYC, and would be lucky enough to go the Apollo Theater for shows. A few different times he was on the bill, and was always for me, the best part of the night. Smile Not only a brilliant stage magician, but was also a tremendous coin guy. My remembrance of him developed more so into a lasting memory of whenever I ran into him at the magic shop downtown. He was great on stage, but up close, man was he good, especially with the coins. Smile I can still hear the oohs & ahhs and rousing applause from the crowds. Really good and interesting guy, that I’m so thankful took a little bit of time with me upon my journey…

https://www.conjuringcredits.com/lib/tpl......ango.pdf

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I remember Presto from hanging out at Tannen's. He would have a lit cigarette in his mouth. He would appear to take it into his fist while secretly retracting it with his tongue, flipping it with the lit end toward his throat, into his mouth. He would make the cigarette disappear from his fist only to have it reappear, still lit, in his mouth. Needless to say, it was not something I ever tried to do.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don’t know him, but glad I happened upon him as he is really good with coins, just watch him in this routine. It’s about the easiest change of a coin there is, but when jazzed up with strong, creative impossibilities, well, it can take it all to another level. Plus, interesting & timely patter can be a colorful crayon to take to any picture. This presentation is a darn good one with a few nice shows that helps to make the whole thing POP! I think you’ll enjoy this, but see for yourself… Smile

tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

I'm not normally a huge fan of what looks like coin juggling, but I agree, that one was very well done!
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2022, Mb217 wrote:
I don’t know him, but glad I happened upon him as he is really good with coins, just watch him in this routine. It’s about the easiest change of a coin there is, but when jazzed up with strong, creative impossibilities, well, it can take it all to another level. Plus, interesting & timely patter can be a colorful crayon to take to any picture. This presentation is a darn good one with a few nice shows that helps to make the whole thing POP! I think you’ll enjoy this, but see for yourself… Smile

Every magician in germany knows Helge.
Helge Thun is an excellent close up magician and he is a member of "The Flicking Fingers" group. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you, dj for the update here and info on Helge…He is a wonderful coin worker and closeup man. It’s always nice to be able to do a bit of everything, and that he can do coin magic with the best of them, well, that’s why I like to showcase the big, small & all of us, because there’s just so much out there, so much we might not have heard of or seen, and might not be made aware of here for one reason or other. This is like finding money in the streets, and now we know the rest of the story… Smile

And here’s a bit more of the man’s sparkling creativity with coins and beyond… Smile

tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Very nice. That whole series (4 videos) is excellent. I enjoyed the end of #4 particularly much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yny7pNcwjdA

I love the boldness of what I'm going to call "flooring" (grounding?). I'm sure the cameraman noticed, but still great. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You know me, every now & again I venture to bring you something interesting beyond just that of coin magic. Why, well, because there’s a whole big magical world out there beyond just what you might like or think is important. For instance, I’ve come to better appreciate a little card magic. It probably don’t happen without the drudgery of the past couple/few years now we’ve had to experience. I guess it helped me to expand my focus and I’m so glad it did. Anyway, most of what we know comes from some book, manuscript, piece of instruction, etc., from somewhere.

As to coins, a lot of folks got started with Bobo’s, or the Kaufman books on this part of the art. It’s been passed along that way or taught in every part of magic, and I believe Master, David Roth himself was a part of it here, secretly somewhere in the bowels NYC… Smile I remember recently once reaching him here while he was at work, to wish him a Happy Birthday…We had a wonderful conversation that has created a lasting memory for me of the kind of real greatness I’ve experienced now & again, one way or another along my journey… Smile

Take it away, Bill…