The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Still available? coin to impossible location (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Did not know where to post this ... but this effect is "old" and I wish it was "new again" ...
I know there are other "versions" of this effect available, but not the same as this classic.

Does anyone know if it is still available anywhere?

Props:
It will try and explain, best I can.

A small cardbox is shown - approx 8cm length, 4cm wide, 1.5cm deep.
It has several elastic bands on its length and width, entirely securing the box from tampering.
The box does not have a lid, but a slider cover - hope that makes sense.

When the bands are removed, and the cover slid away it reveals another cardbox inside.
This box is also secured length and width by elastic bands.

When the bands are removed from this box, again, there is another smaller box inside.
Again, secured by elastic bands.

When this box is opened, the signed spectators coin is found inside a small fabric bag.
The neck of the bag is also secured by an elastic band.

We all know how this works ... but where can I buy one now??

Any help, leads appreciated
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I found mine at the Dollar Store. I had to look around to find the nesting boxes, and I finally found a small fabric bag used by women to hold small trinkets, but it was all right there except for the gimmick. I made that from stiff plastic packaging material rather than metal, which makes the coin slide through more easily.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Many thanks for your reply "jimgerrish" ...
can you elaborate please - where did you find nesting boxes?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Dollar Tree. Sometimes you can find them as "Nesting Boxes" but I found mine separately- large, medium, and small. I prefer the different looking boxes because each one is a small surprise, whereas identically decorated nesting boxes is less exciting...to me.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Wish we had the same resources in the UK,Jim
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Next best thing- learn to fold cardboard into boxes. It's not that difficult. Cut pieces of wood into the size box you want to make and use that as a form to bend and fold the cardboard over.Where there's a will, there's a way.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My first version of this often overlooked prop, was the Adams version. I believe Magic Makers sells new versions of those props, including an updated version of the effect you mention:
https://magicmakersinc.com/collections/s......ss-adams

The boxes they supply are silly, but you should get the gimmick you need to make it happen. Then, I would recommend replacing the outer box with a large kitchen match stick box ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diamond-Kitch......19792682 ), followed by a regular size match box, followed by any small felt jewelry bag. A bag, inside a box, inside another box makes a great impression.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Jim ... wizard of oz -
thanks for your input.

Still trying to find the finished product in the UK
johnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
103 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
Mel Babcock triple bean box is the best coin to impossible location you’ll get .I use whole coffee beans in the middle box never fails to blow their minds .I use it as a closer
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is a basic nest of boxes that was often done with a coil but it could be adapted to a ring. It was also the coin in ball of wool. Still a good trick properly presented.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2022, hugmagic wrote:
This is a basic nest of boxes that was often done with a coil but it could be adapted to a ring. It was also the coin in ball of wool. Still a good trick properly presented.

For clarification: Mel's Triple Coin Boxes/Nest of Bean Boxes/Treasure Chest (ala Grant, Arturo and others) will not accept a ring, just a coin.

Modification of this designed apparatus would not be practical. New construction using the same basic principle would work.

Julie
dfolson
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of dfolson
You can find a vintage Adams version for sale at quickerthantheeye.com for $15 search for "Adams' Magic Coin Box"
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
There are various sizes of match boxes for wooden matches. These might work. Hugmagic mentions the ball of wool. I haven't tried this but often thought that inside the boxes was a ball of wool. Slightly bigger boxes. Combine the 2 ideas, instead of the little bag, or you could have the little bag be found inside the ball of wool too.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2022, gregg webb wrote:
...I haven't tried this but often thought that inside the boxes was a ball of wool. Slightly bigger boxes. Combine the 2 ideas, instead of the little bag, or you could have the little bag be found inside the ball of wool too.

There's a routine for this in BoBo that is worthy of a look; as is most everything else therein.

Julie
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Oh, good. Thanks.