The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Out To Lunch (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Not sure if this is the right forum... but I'm looking for recommendations for "best" Out-To-Lunch effects.

I perform one which is a card revelation but looking for other options. Preferably, (1) easy reset, (2) can vary the outcome; for example different cards revealed on successive performances, (3) no too much writing or drawing during the performance.

I remember a version (I think it was Daryl's) based on the trident optical illusion ???
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Scott, I made my own cards based on few ideas I picked from TC Tahoe/Romhay book and Wilson booklet and others I developed myself

1) A fork that is straight and then it is bend
2) Same as 1) with a spoon
3) Statue of Liberty that disappear and only the pedestal remains
4) A tic tac toe where the grid is empty, and the card given is finished and done, (you play a mental tic tac toe with your spectator)
5) You asked the spectator to draw a Tree (very simple) and the card they received has the picture with Gauguin Tree and spectator signature
6) Same as 5 but with a house, that becomes a Monet house drawing
7) Emoji pic, that changed based on something you said (from happy to sad, from sad to happy, from no glasses to glasses, etc)

I printed my cards in makeplayingcards.com in business card size, you can print your name and information on the other size of the card. Business Cards printed services does not allow for each card to be different, the one I used I can printed few cards of each OTL
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Pabloinus,

Thanks for the reference. Some good ideas to get me thinking, and that is a great reference site for the future
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Mark Jenest put out a trick called "Demotivation". The routine uses the OTL principle to change the title on the magicians business card. Jenest's routine has him "down" because he didn't get the promotion he wanted at work. The trick being that the spectator, after personalizing the business card in some way, has the business card between their palms and thinks of the title they would like to promote the magician to instead. Jenest plays it for a laugh using some obviously low and funny title being magically or psychically printed on the card.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
MaveriQ
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
34 Posts

Profile of MaveriQ
I also made my own. It is a picture of me holding their selected card. 4 different cards repeated for repeatability.
I realize you said you wanted something different than cards, but I replied to say it's a great chance to hand them a picture of you! My volunteers take away a signed photo of me holding their card. I did 8"x10" photos to work parlor, but that is a preference thing.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
MaveriQ,

Yes, it is cards, but I like that idea
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fun Inc's Royal Magic line makes what they call the fortune telling Swami. It is an out to lunch outfit that comes with mental effects, card effects, and other effects with very nice full color cards.

http://www.funinc.com/fortune-telling-swami/ro00290p

You can't order from them, but most magic shops carry this effect.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
I combine OTL with a coin to impossible location. I borrow a coin then sign it, then sign my business card. Telling them the coin will end up on their palm, I place business card face down on their hand. Now I vanish the coin and say it's attracted to their signature. After the build up, they turn the card over and the coin is not there, but the card also says "I owe you" with a picture of a coin. By this time I've loaded coin so reveal can be very clean.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Finally ran across the booklet I was thinking of originally. Years ago there was a OTL booklet of effects, called Stockholder. Well, I found it is still available.

Grab it before I forget where it is again. Doc Eason is keeping it alive for current magician.

https://doceason.com/product/out-to-dinn......er-book/
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
You can get TC Tahoe’s Out to Lunch ebook on Lybrary.com

Patrick Redford had a small ebook as well based on an idea of using a bulldog clip.

Jay Sankey’s books have quite a few out to lunch effect.

David Acer had a nice idea using postcards.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
You may find some suggestions in the Card sections of the Café

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
PICTURE THIS by Richard Sanders also a nice trick using out to lunch principle.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Check this out:
Lunch Is Served by Paul Romhany and TC Tahoe - Book Sixty different routines compiled by Paul Romhany and TC Tahoe, with additional routines by eighteen other magicians from around the world, including Banachek, Kenton Knepper, Gerard, Richard Webster, Joe Givan, and Wayne Rogers. This book is a compendium of creative approaches to a single principle. AVAILABLE AT PENGUIN.

This has five star reviews. You just can't go wrong with the best things from Paul Romhany.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I’ve designed a few versions built into my business cards but Picture This is prob still the best version of the last 25 yrs. I love the OTL plot and have a ton of material discussing variations. The Rohmany book is probably the most comprehensive. A few good variations in it.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Fun Inc's Royal Magic line makes what they call the fortune telling Swami. It is an out to lunch outfit that comes with mental effects, card effects, and other effects with very nice full color cards.

http://www.funinc.com/fortune-telling-swami/ro00290p

You can't order from them, but most magic shops carry this effect.

My all-time favorite! I have been using it for years with great reactions!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
I agree with previous posters.

The Stockholder booklet and Out to Lunch are the best resources on OTL I've found.
FreddieLeeFroth
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of FreddieLeeFroth
Over Christmas, I spent some time looking through old notes where I'd scribbled down a rough description of various effects I intended to get around to trying. One of them was called 'Business Lunch' which utilized the OTT Principle along with the McCombical Deck. The problem is that I failed to make a note of where it originated ... can anybody help?
XavrosStalkingwolf
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of XavrosStalkingwolf
David Forrest has an interesting take on the OTL principle called P.O.A. from Automata 2, which can now be bought on its own as a download.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Greg Wilson does a great comedy out to lunch with a black pen that ends up writing different colours on the card they signed.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
How do you guys prefer presenting the OTL ... simple organic approach with rubber band or a particular OTL wallet?

Thanks!
Dan.