The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: A Serious question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Dear All

As a stage magician I explored the art of hypnosis. I read quite a bit about it, and successfully hypnotized some 25 friends and family. This was about 40 years ago, and I never used it for performance. Since then I have left it alone, bar reading up on the subject. All books I have read seem to agree, that we do not truly know what is at work.

I am sure we have all seen the following - (as an example) - 'when you wake up, the lady in front of you will be the most beautiful woman in the world to you - and so she is to the hypnotized subject. .

Then the other day I read in a book as follows:

The subject is hypnotized, and is told that he will not be able to 'see' his daughter who is also on stage.

The hypnotist stands behind the girl, and holds up an object behind her back (which the father cannot see) - what an I holding? The father answers correctly - he can see through her so to speak as if she is not there - apparently defying the laws of physics.

This blew me away a bit - is there anyone out there who has an opinion. Better still, anyone prepared under these difficult times who can repeat the exercise as outlined above perhaps at home with a family member or friend?

I would appreciate that very much

Many thanks
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm not sure what is so mindblowing? The person simply responded to a suggestion. That's what hypnosis is. I've done this in every show for over 30 years. Invisibility routines are as old as time.

I never suggest attempting hypnosis on family and friends. No matter what you or others claim, it is simply not the same or any barometer from which to measure anything.

I've never been a fan of "reading" about hypnosis, hypnosis needs to be experienced for true learning and education.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea negative hallucinations are standard. And to manipulate the position of the object is not really hard to find the window. No physics laws defied.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
"and holds up an object behind her back (which the father cannot see) "

You won't see the Video. The ONLY way to do that would be to prime the guy off mic before doing that routine. Telling him what you'll be holding. . . actually not a bad idea.

To be honest done with a bit of panache you can let the audience in on the 'trick', they'll still be amazed by it. Smile

NO Hypnoptist has Ever made themselves invisible. Simply impossible. To the Hypnotee it's a case of imagining they cannot see something. The RAS is good at ignoring stuff which is What is actually happening.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Thanks

According to Invisibilty - the person is simply responding to a suggestion (Invisibilty) -
According to Jon - you have to prime the guy what you are holding

which is it?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is a show. Start there. A theatrical event in which the audience is not aware of all things happening.

The negative hallucination combined with stage cuing or angle manipulation are used.

In other words Copperfield doesn't really fly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Iugeu "The subject is hypnotized, and is told that he will not be able to 'see' his daughter who is also on stage.The hypnotist stands behind the girl, and holds up an object behind her back (which the father cannot see) - what an I holding? The father answers correctly - he can see through her so to speak as if she is not there - apparently defying the laws of physics."

Hypnois can not alter the laws of physics. If the guy guesses correctly what the hypnotist is holding he can either see it, as Danny Doyle suggests, or he knows what it is in advance.

Keep in mind Reg Blackwoods excellent precursor to suggestion... "It's AS IF..." So it would be, "It's as if your dughter is invisible and you can see right through her, she no longer exsisits. You can however see whatever it is the hypnotist is holding in his hand." Or something like that.

[ By the way, Danny is wrong - Mr Copperfield can fly ;-) ]
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My bad lol.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@iugefu

What is the name of the book? Thanks.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
HUMAN RACE - get of your knees by David Icke at p372

He talks at length about our illusionary and decoded reality and that we live in a holographic universe.

Quote:

The hypnotist had implanted the deep subconscious belief into Tom's brain/mind that his daughter was not in the room and that had tricked the brain's decoding system into ignoring his daughter's vibrational energy field and not 'reading' it. The 'physical' scene in the room only existed in Tom's brain and, if his daughter's energy field was not ' read', she would not appear in the 'physical' holograph ' his brain was constructing. Everyone in the room could see the daughter because their decoding systems had not been programmed, like Tom's, not to do so.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I'm afraid David Icke doesn't have a good reputation for credibility, especially in the UK. If I were you, I'd take anything he says with a very large pinch of salt.

Barry
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Barry - agreed!

But in this instance he was relating a story by Michael Talbot, which Talbot had outlined in The Holographic Universe.

Anyway, the purpose of the post was to try and ascertain whether there is any truth to this story - again I call on anyone to conduct an exercise to try it out...life is full of surprises sometimes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not when it comes to the laws of physics. Not too many surprises there sorry. All the needed experiments have been done and peer reviewed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
I believe you nailed it in the original post. "...apparently defying the laws of physics." The word "apparently" is key here.
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
IF I had to put that bit into my act (and that's a very big IF), I would play around with the idea of mixing Dunninger ploy and real suggestion....
andrew.blais
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of andrew.blais
Has anyone read Robin Waterfield's "Hidden Depths: The Story of Hypnosis"? Good, bad, both?