The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1412 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Dustrod, is possible you can disclose the items purchased?

In your communication with Roy Krazy, did you ask if the coin was in stocked?

I am trying to understand this nut job.

Thanks
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2020, Jerry wrote:
Dustrod, is possible you can disclose the items purchased?

In your communication with Roy Krazy, did you ask if the coin was in stocked?

I am trying to understand this nut job.

Thanks

I ordered a gravity flipper U.S.Half with an expanded U.S. Half shell and matching set of inserts. I didn't opt for any special features other than matching dates. I didn't bother to ask if they were in stock at the time.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
USA
49 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
So, let me say this as a preface...this is just my experience and does not define him. BUT....

Custom Morgan Hopping Half set...had it made and arrived on my doorstep in two weeks (January 2020)

Enlisted him to prototype a coin gaff and to (hopefully) be the main manufacturer (early may 2020)
-late may 2020...arrive and quick and easy correspondence , talk about tweaks
-early June 2020-early July 2020....I get deathly ill and correspondence on both ends are sparse
-mid august 2020....sent multiple emails and calls/texts for an update (considering a main component he had to literally custom create) with zero response
-mid September 2020...finally get a hold of him to find out he scraped my project without telling or notifying me to take on and focus on the stuff like symphony coins/quantum . While enraged to say the least, I offer to buy his new forever bands to keep the relationship civil and open.
Late September 2020- bands arrive. Wrong size and snap upon installing them. Shoot him a text to confirm the issues/get the right size...promises to send the right sized bands
Early October 2020- finally answers and says he hasn’t gotten to it
Current day*- still hasn’t responded to any texts calls fb messages or even comments. Even offered to buy a custom set I needed made. Zero responses to this day.

Thankfully another gaffer took on the project and didn’t charge me a prototyping fee only because it turns out the prototypes Roy made were very poor (couldn’t tell with a naked eye).

Long story short...it’s a gamble. He bites off more than he can chew. I understand also he gets flack for things he has no control over (let’s be real...I’ve waited blindly 3 months with little to no communication for a lassen set...but at least lassen always follows through and the coins are worth every second and cent) but boiling it down, while a nice guy and a good creator/fabricator ...really awful with having a business/customer service.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1412 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Jxb, thanks.
It appears you have made the proper observation, "He bites off more than he can chew".
He is plate spinning. While giving great service to one customer, he is unable to finish or supply another.
Roy is trying to run/manage a business and make product.

A administrative assist could be the answer. At the end of each day a brief progress report about the status of the various orders would be emailed to the assist, who, in turn could flesh out the details and update the customers as needed. Handle the orders, and keep over all communications with clients.

Of course this is all a fantasy.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Lassen hasn't taken orders or custom orders for a while now. Couple years? When he makes items, he posts what he's made on his blog, and if you're fast you may luck out. What makes me laugh about Roy is that his prices are higher than Todd's and nowhere near the quality.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
USA
49 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, Tom G wrote:
Lassen hasn't taken orders or custom orders for a while now. Couple years? When he makes items, he posts what he's made on his blog, and if you're fast you may luck out. What makes me laugh about Roy is that his prices are higher than Todd's and nowhere near the quality.

No, he definitely will alter an order for you ha. My slippery Sam set from earlier this year he shimmed ha. Does that count as custom haha
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
There is a rumor, perhaps a tall-tale or maybe even just a legend, but apparently someone placed an order back in 2010. The order was filled correctly & also received in the same year it was placed. Think it was on Ripley's Believe it or not. Could also have been a Guinness world record article. Hard to recall 10 years back.
davidmilne
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of davidmilne
I'm writing to report that after an eight month wait my order has had a happy ending. It arrived safely this morning, and the quality of the work is excellent. Thank you Roy.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, Jxb1989 wrote:
No, he definitely will alter an order for you ha. My slippery Sam set from earlier this year he shimmed ha. Does that count as custom haha

Not quite the same -- he was already making a run of those.
That's more of a "tweak". Smile
Magic Alaskan
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Alaskan
Roy has always treated me great and products were high quality. He is a one man show trying to do his best. I will continue to support him. Roy is a great guy, period.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Though he did not respond upon receiving my order, he did reply to my email in a timely fashion. He let me know what was happening and when my order would ship... He sent it out when he said and it arrived in a timely manner.
I am pleased with both product and transaction.
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
87 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
Honestly, I had a bit of a sour experience a few years back when purchasing his expanded hopping halves - within days of receiving them, my Kennedy shell got stuck on the Kennedy coin; too tight of a fit, and I couldn't separate them. I messaged Roy and at his request, paid to have them shipped to him. He eventually got back to me apologizing that he destroyed the coins trying to get them apart, and charged me another $40+ for a replacement. So after paying to ship the coin to him and then being forced to pay for the replacement, I ended up paying almost $140 for coins that cost $70, just because I got a faulty set that got stuck. Ended up losing the cursed coins a year later anyway.
jgcorn
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, OH
5 Posts

Profile of jgcorn
I've always had positive experiences with Mr. Kueppers - he's always replied within a day to my admittedly uninformed questions with grace and tact.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.
davfreeman
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
I have also had several positive transactions with Roy Kueppers in the past year. And the quality of everything that I have received has been great.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I have a few of Roy's standard products and all have been fine from a quality perspective but I have always purchased them from one of the magic suppliers that had them in stock and not directly from Roy. Given the mixed reviews, and unless you are looking for a custom piece, I have had good luck buying the items I wanted from USA Magic Tricks and couple of others so if they have what you want it is a lot easier. Prices are usually the same as Roy's site and a couple like USA Magic will ship for free if you buy over a certain amount.

As far as matching dates, I have found that in the end, it is easier and usually cheaper to visit some local coin shops and buy matching coins from them.
Mike
View Profile
New user
Canada
9 Posts

Profile of Mike
Always found Roy to be polite & knowledgeable. I have his Canadian "Lethal Tender", a Canadian Loonie shell, & a U.S. flipper coin. All are excellent craftsmanship.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Living in the UK, I have always found Roy Kueppers to be exceptional in communication and value.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Always had a good experience with Roy. I know he had a big relocation about a year or two ago. Not sure if maybe response time slacked of during that period.
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Just received a package from RK. It took two weeks from order to delivery in UK (he had one already made up and sent photographs etc). Original email was answered within an hour or two, and he also included some extra stuff I asked for.

The product is beautiful and customer service excellent.

Cheers

Steve
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Gotta say: I've had quite a number of Roy's products, and while the experiences were mixed, the guy clearly wants to make good. Treat him gently: he is doing the best he can.
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"