The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2024, equivoque wrote:
Cytoplast, it was a general statement and not directed at you.

As far as your other, statement is concerned, even if these complaints only add up to 10% of the people who place orders with him, do you really want to take that gamble? once again, this was not directed at you.

Thanks for clarification.

I do agree. I don't think it's wrong for people to have the information and make their choices accordingly. Everyone has different risk tolerances. I have my personal decisions on how I will operate with Roy and what kinds of projects I would feel comfortable taking a risk on and where I feel it's outside my comfort zone.

I think assuming positive intent with people is a great place to start. I had a series of emails (not to Roy, but a variety of other people and small businesses) go unanswered for a long time. I took it personally and it wasn't until I took a step back to think about the situation did I realize I had a made a recent typo in the DMARC DNS record on my domain, so I became flagged as spam. I didn't realize it right away because I didn't have any problem when submitting via a customer service form, or when replying to a message. But when I sent a message direct didn't make it. It was my fault. Yes, those other people could have checked their spam folders - but I think as a society we've become quite reliant on the services to filter well and I know I only check mine maybe once or twice a month.

None of this is to excuse or defend any particular practices. I just think we can live in a happier world if we take a step back to presume the other person is operating positively and intelligently and see where that line of thinking may take you. It doesn't mean you need to forgive, or choose to support the business, but it can help to put positive energy out there and remember that everyone else is also a person, mistakes can happen, and you can choose how to respond.

I currently have an incorrect order from another vendor. I'm not happy about it, but I can appreciate the situation that vendor is likely in, acknowledge they are human and trying to do well, and decide whether or not I want to adapt my expectations when working with them in the future (which includes timelines, patience) or if I want to find another solution for my problem (of wanting something).
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Well said, @cytoplast. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is easy to get agitated. Sometimes we do need to step back and analyze. We'll said cytoplast.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Nicely put cytoplast. The important thing here is that even the people who are complaining agree that Roy makes great products and that is a good guy. Not everyone’s cut out to be a retailer. Not a criticism, just an observation.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Not everyone.
Roy has made and I'm sure WILL make some very nice stuff. But he's also let some not so great stuff pass out through his doors.
Like his level of service, at times the quality can also be hit or miss.

Quote:
Nicely put cytoplast. The important thing here is that even the people who are complaining agree that Roy makes great products and that is a good guy. Not everyone’s cut out to be a retailer. Not a criticism, just an observation.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2024, inigmntoya wrote:
Not everyone.
Roy has made and I'm sure WILL make some very nice stuff. But he's also let some not so great stuff pass out through his doors.
Like his level of service, at times the quality can also be hit or miss.

Quote:

Does this excuse him from ripping off and back dooring other peoples effects Steve? Just because he makes some nice stuff he gets a pass?
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2024, Mad Jake wrote:
Does this excuse him from ripping off and back dooring other peoples effects Steve? Just because he makes some nice stuff he gets a pass?

Considering he's not using Steve Dusheck's name in the title of the effect he's selling, he's not in trademark violation. As has been previously discussed in depth.

So, legally yes. He gets a pass.

Much like the 13 for so other providers of the effect who are not using Dusheck's name in the title.

It's up to customers to decide the ethics involved.

Rather than continuing to bring it up to 20 or 30 readers here, wouldn't it be more effective to broaden distribution of the official product through major magic retailers?
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
As far as I am concerned whether or not a customer received a quality product in a reasonable timeframe and who has the right legally or ethically to produce certain effects are 2 separate issues.. All of my posts, address, the former, and not the latter
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Wow, just wow GJo. So he steals effects and back doors them and because it's not illegal he gets a pass on stealing. Wow, just wow.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2024, Mad Jake wrote:
Wow, just wow GJo. So he steals effects and back doors them and because it's not illegal he gets a pass on stealing. Wow, just wow.

I wrote that legally he gets a pass because he hasn't violated a trademark. As well as roughly thirteen other providers of the unauthorized effect.

I also stated it was up to customers to determine the ethics of buying from him (or other providers).

The first statement is different from the second. Please don't conflate them.

Since you never bring up the other thirteen providers of unauthorized versions of the Dusheck effect, I have to conclude your agenda here is to smear Roy's reputation.

Wouldn't your time and effort be better used increasing Airship Magic sales of the authorized Dusheck effect by improving distribution through large magic retailers?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If you go back and read the original posts about this topic, they start back in 2020. It's now 4-years later in 2024 and the posts today are about the same as the posts back in 2020. Each of you has to make your own decision whether to buy from Roy or not. Those who posted in the past "hit or miss" if you read all the posts from the very beginning, is probably the most accurate.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Tbaer I'm pretty sure there were threads pre-2020 also.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
[/quote]I wrote that legally he gets a pass because he hasn't violated a trademark. As well as roughly thir

Since you never bring up the other thirteen providers of unauthorized versions of the Dusheck effect, I have to conclude your agenda here is to smear Roy's reputation.

Wouldn't your time and effort be better used increasing Airship Magic sales of the authorized Dusheck effect by improving distribution through large magic retailers? [/quote]

Agreed!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2024, GJo wrote:

Well, this thread being titled "Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers?" could be the reason people are talking only about Roy Kueppers.

Guy comes onto a RK topic, tells what he thinks and what he's experienced re: RK. Doesn't mention others in a RK topic. Therefore, he has an agenda to smear RK? It seems to me the first principle you have presented in this topic has been along the lines of, "RK's work as a coin maker/dealer must not be characterized in a way I don't care for."
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2024, Chessmann wrote:

Well, this thread being titled "Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers?" could be the reason people are talking only about Roy Kueppers.

Guy comes onto a RK topic, tells what he thinks and what he's experienced re: RK. Doesn't mention others in a RK topic. Therefore, he has an agenda to smear RK? It seems to me the first principle you have presented in this topic has been along the lines of, "RK's work as a coin maker/dealer must not be characterized in a way I don't care for."

Fair point.

I stated clearly the ethics are something each potential buyer must decide for themselves.

Seems it'd be a more productive approach to try to work out a royalties deal with Roy (and the other makers of the Dusheck effect in question), rather than repeatedly question Roy's ethics here to the 20-30 people who generally read this forum.

I don't see the payoff to that strategy.

Why not direct that energy in a positive direction toward a licensing agreement to get paid each time the trick is sold? That'd be a win-win approach.

Everyone's different though.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2024, GJo wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2024, Chessmann wrote:

Fair point.

I stated clearly the ethics are something each potential buyer must decide for themselves

Seems it'd be a more productive approach to try to work out a royalties deal with Roy (and the other makers of the Dusheck effect in question), rather than repeatedly question Roy's ethics here to the 20-30 people who generally read this forum.

I don't see the payoff to that strategy.

Why not direct that energy in a positive direction toward a licensing agreement to get paid each time the trick is sold? That'd be a win-win approach.

Everyone's different though.

Chessman, thank you for pointing out the obvious. I was just going to wait until someone caught on.

GJO- That's exactly what my brother did. He went as far as to pay out of his own pocket the estimated royalties Roy owed the Dusheck Estate to put things in order.
What did Roy go and do next? He started telling wholesalers he has every right to make and sell the effect. Really nice business ethics.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2024, Mad Jake wrote:

GJO- That's exactly what my brother did. He went as far as to pay out of his own pocket the estimated royalties Roy owed the Dusheck Estate to put things in order.
What did Roy go and do next? He started telling wholesalers he has every right to make and sell the effect. Really nice business ethics.

Thanks for the background.

It’d be helpful to hear Roy’s side to this story. So far, we have heard only one side.

Filing an injunction to stop sales (if that’s within the scope of the trademark) would seem to be a logical next step.

As would working to expand distribution of the Airship Magic product to major retailers.

I hope one day you can come to an amicable agreement and be at peace.

Be well, and best of luck.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I have a great deal of respect for all the different opinions expressed here. The problem as I see it is that has morphed into an all out of attack of Roy, including his ethics and business practices. unless you’re a lawyer, I’m not certain that we should be attacking Roy based on who has the legal rights to an effect. I think it’s time for this post to end,