The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
That's just the sliding half-shell which as Jonathan has pointed out was just one component of the Slippery Sam Combination Coins set.

Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, GJo wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, inigmntoya wrote:
Gibson copied a lot of Dusheck's and other folks'stuff.

The Slippery Sam Combination Coins set is all Dusheck.

I'd love to get an original set.

Quote:

That's interesting.

I looked it up in Genii (Nov. 1974, p. 492). Released by Eddie Gibson. Anyone here own this effect?

For reference, I read the Slippery Sam info here, then looked it up in Genii:
https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.ph......_removed

Quote:
In the U.S., Steve Dusheck reinvented this form of shell and, in 1974, Eddie Gibson of the U.K. marketed it under Dusheck's name, as “Slippery Sam”, a copper-silver transposition that echos Zmeck's “Gold und Silber”; see Genii, Vol. 38 No. 11, Nov. 1974, p. 492.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
That's just the sliding half-shell which as Jonathan has pointed out was just one component of the Slippery Sam Combination Coins set.

Quote:
Quote:
Gibson copied a lot of Dusheck's and other folks'stuff.

The Slippery Sam Combination Coins set is all Dusheck.

I'd love to get an original set.

Quote:

That's interesting.

I looked it up in Genii (Nov. 1974, p. 492). Released by Eddie Gibson. Anyone here own this effect?

For reference, I read the Slippery Sam info here, then looked it up in Genii:
https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.ph......_removed

Quote:
In the U.S., Steve Dusheck reinvented this form of shell and, in 1974, Eddie Gibson of the U.K. marketed it under Dusheck's name, as “Slippery Sam”, a copper-silver transposition that echos Zmeck's “Gold und Silber”; see Genii, Vol. 38 No. 11, Nov. 1974, p. 492.

The blurb in Genii Nov. 1974 describes a copper silver transposition. Silver in one hand, copper in the other. Hands are closed, and when they're opened the coins have transposed. The coins can be handed out for inspection. Sounds like more than a shell to me.

Anyway, the point of all this is Eddie Gibson credited Dushek for the gaff and named it Slippery Sam to market the trick (according to the link).

The research was fun, and it's always nice to read something from Jonathan Townshend.

Debate amongst yourselves. I'm moving on.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The L gaff was being sold by Steve Dusheck and by Presley Guitar for a basic copper and silver transposition for at least five years before the "Slippery Sam Combination Coin Set" hit the market. You can see Steve's Copper and Silver coin transposition on his lecture DVD.

The Slippery Sam name and gaff is more than one L; it's a pair of coins, one silver, one copper, and both are (m), and have shimmed L - and a set of instructions for a routine. I wish I kept that paper.

The Bob Eliot handling of the item took us NYers by storm and we were using that for a while - a no-touch transpo where the coins wind up balanced on the thumbs, fingers spread, hands otherwise empty. Since we already knew the double turnover strategy... handing out the coins was an option. As was doing routines such as Coins of Ishtar where you can show both sides of the coins right before the magic happens and again after the pairwise display. Smile Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
I purchased a few coins on Black Friday deal hoping to have before christmas.

Sent a few emails before buying and he was super responsive, within a few minutes.

Christmas passed and no communication. Sent an email and he said he would work on it the following weekend and ship it out.

Every month after I send an email asking for status but I am being ghosted.

Getting close to the 6 month window to get refund with paypal.

This has been my experience.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
My order arrived over a month ago with one missing product . Several emails went back and forth and then I felt like I was ghosted. Called him a week ago Monday and he said they would most likely ship last week. Still nothing. I am also tired of being asked to,”send him a reminder email.” A customer should not have to email and call you to remind you that the product that you said was in stock and took their money for needs to be shipped. If he is to busy to do it, then he should offer you a refund. Great products but I will never buy directly from him ever again.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
TomB, don't let the window run out. Even if they say they shipped the product. Sounds like nothing's changed.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
March 12 I sent him yet another email. This makes 16 emails unanswered. I am starting to doubt anyone who "claims" they email him and he responds right away. I know of no one personally that has ever gotten a reply via email from him.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
If it makes you feel better I could screen shot his replies to my email.

I would try another way as it sounds like your email is getting flagged.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
I have several email exchanges with Roy over a two year time span. All with prompt responses.

Most recently in December 2023.

In one case, when I did not receive a reply within a week, I called him in the morning. He answered the phone, and we had a nice conversation.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Unfortunately, From these posts, I am beginning to believe that those with negative experiences far out number those with positive experiences. He always seems to answer the phone, he is always polite, but this generally does not result in good customer service. I will most likely purchase products from him in the future, but never directly from him. Purchase from his website at your own risk.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Good grief, I don't know what the secret is! I have used 4 different email accounts and still no reply.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2024, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Good grief, I don't know what the secret is! I have used 4 different email accounts and still no reply.

I suspect the secret is subject matter and timing. Time is money in his field; any time spent on computer is time not spent producing product. If I had to choose how to use my limited time set aside for email response, I'd prioritize new sales requests over status updates - the "it's still in the queue, a few weeks out" or whatever doesn't generate income, and isn't particularly helpful to anyone else.
I get it, we all have different comfort zones around "no news is good news" and getting updates on projects. I'm not trying to suggest you're in the wrong, just how I imagine I would handle it if I had to.

In my past experience (like 10 years ago) I had trouble getting status updates, but in the last 2 years, I've have 4-6 long email conversations with him asking questions about buying a product, estimates on custom projects, and trying to understand what he may have on hand when I will see him in person at an event. These emails were quick and friendly. So he does respond to emails, but I imagine if the email is "can you tell me when it will be ready, it's been ____ weeks", if it fits in his definition for acceptable timelines, he may not prioritize the response.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
My subject line was: "Getting ready to place big order--have question!"
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Can we all please stop making excuses? What difference does it make what email account you use to contact him? What difference does it make what the subject line reads? The truth is he should not be selling his products directly, because he does not handle the sales in a timely, professional manner.
If you purchase something from someone, and they promise it to you by a certain date, it is up to them to contact you. This is a bit ridiculous. We all agree that Roy is a great guy and that he makes great products. Let me be clear: “Do not buy directly from him. “
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2024, equivoque wrote:
Unfortunately, From these posts, I am beginning to believe that those with negative experiences far out number those with positive experiences. He always seems to answer the phone, he is always polite, but this generally does not result in good customer service. I will most likely purchase products from him in the future, but never directly from him. Purchase from his website at your own risk.

Most of the time people will comment on negative experiences more often than good ones.

And to your post above, he does sell things in a timely manner. I have got 5 orders from him that all came in the time frame I was given.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2024, Andy Young wrote:
Quote:

Most of the time people will comment on negative experiences more often than good ones.

And to your post above, he does sell things in a timely manner. I have got 5 orders from him that all came in the time frame I was given.

That may be true, but why would anyone who looked at this thread place an order with his website?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2024, Andy Young wrote:
Quote:

That may be true, but why would anyone who looked at this thread place an order with his website?

Well there aren't that many coin gaff makers in the USA. He is one of few that make certain gaffs in non silver currency.

There are positive reviews.

Just because he isn't your cup of tea didn't mean others wouldn't want to use him.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
Can we all please stop making excuses? What difference does it make what email account you use to contact him? What difference does it make what the subject line reads? The truth is he should not be selling his products directly, because he does not handle the sales in a timely, professional manner.
If you purchase something from someone, and they promise it to you by a certain date, it is up to them to contact you. This is a bit ridiculous. We all agree that Roy is a great guy and that he makes great products. Let me be clear: “Do not buy directly from him. “

If this is directed at me, I'm not intending to make excuses. However you're also not going to get a true answer here for what's happening - Roy is the only person who knows the answer and isn't here. I find it helpful to put yourself in someone's shoes to see if you can understand why a problem may be happening; it may help you figure out how you can adapt. In this case, it may be that you choose not to engage with the seller. Or perhaps you use the information to adapt your own expectations of the interactions. It _can_ matter which email you're using - it's possible he hasn't received the email. Perhaps it went to spam, for whatever reason. Again, doesn't dismiss the problem, but it was a helpful step in debugging the problem. I don't think anyone is trying to say "waiting for ever is acceptable / excusable", but trying to be helpful in solving the problem for the person.

There are many people who have likely had great experiences and haven't shared them; someone called this out earlier, and it's important to remember when reading reviews. It doesn't mean the people posting here's experiences are invalid. But it's important to consider them and decide how you want to proceed.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The whole, your email may be going to spam, is laughable. If your in business, why would you NOT check your spam folder? Better yet, why would emails from multiple legitimate accounts from a wide variety of people keep ending up in a spam folder?

I have ordered from no less than 10 different online magic vendors in the last 28 years, and not a one went to a "spam" folder. And I tend to email a lot and ask questions before ordering. And several of these online vendors are a one man operations.

Shoddy business practices shouldn't be defended. Nobody here is out to get anyone, we just expect decent customer service.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Cytoplast, it was a general statement and not directed at you.

As far as your other, statement is concerned, even if these complaints only add up to 10% of the people who place orders with him, do you really want to take that gamble? once again, this was not directed at you.