The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
The horses seem to be out of the barn at this point. [/quote]

No the Thieves are.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
My understanding is it was those practices of thievery which lead to the magic communities loss. Steve was a brilliant creator, yet the disrespect of him and stealing his works by other companies lead him no longer offering to the community.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
According to Steve's daughter, there are hundreds of effects that never saw the light of day or offered. It's a shame, Steve was brilliant.
The magic community always states how important it is to credit the creator, no matter the age of the effect. Yet, with the Slippery Sam gimmick
no one ever credits Steve for this major creation.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2024, Mad Jake wrote:
The magic community always states how important it is to credit the creator, no matter the age of the effect. Yet, with the Slippery Sam gimmick

Not true.

In the Come Fly with Me tutorial video, Mark Mason explicitly credits Steve Dusheck for the Slippery Sam, and thanks Steve for giving his permission.

In the Ultimate 3 Fly tutorial video, Bob Kohler credits Presley Guitar and Steve Dusheck for the Slippery Sam right at the beginning of the explanation.

From vanishingmagic.com's Coin S***l page:
Quote:
A Slippery Sam S***l is often used for routines such as Three-Fly. In this gimmick only ***** is remaining, allowing you to slide the coin *****. This type of gimmick was popularized by Steve Dusheck and invented by Edward Bagshawe in the late 1920s.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2024, GJo wrote:
Quote:

Not true that no one ever credits Steve for the Slippery Sam.

In the Come Fly with Me tutorial video, Mark Mason explicitly credits Steve Dusheck for the Slippery Sam, and thanks Steve for giving his permission.

In the Ultimate 3 Fly tutorial video, Bob Kohler credits Presley Guitar and Steve Dusheck for the Slippery Sam right at the beginning of the explanation.

From vanishingmagic.com's Coin S***l page:
Quote:
A Slippery Sam S***l is often used for routines such as Three-Fly. In this gimmick only ***** is remaining, allowing you to slide the coin *****. This type of gimmick was popularized by Steve Dusheck and invented by Edward Bagshawe in the late 1920s.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Thank you GJO, I'm glad to see that. I don't have any of those effects, but I'm glad they gave Steve the credit.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Someone interested in documenting Steve Dusheck's contributions to magic might start by updating his Genii Magicpedia web page, which is relatively light on content. The submission will be vetted then updated.
https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?title=Steve_Dusheck
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Great to know. I'm going to pass this info on to my brother so he can update it. Thanks for taking the time to let me know about this GJO.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Some may find this topic interesting.

Steve Dusheck joins starting on page 6.

It centers around his trick Copper Silver Transpo and routine, how it (and his other work) has been ripped off, and discusses how he (Steve) has been terribly affected by it - financially, and how it feels to watch your creations get ripped off.

Link brings you to page 6, but those unfamiliar w the Digital Dissolve brouhaha may want to start at the beginning.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=100
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, Chessmann wrote:
Some may find this topic interesting.

Steve Dusheck joins starting on page 6.

It centers around his trick Copper Silver Transpo and routine, how it (and his other work) has been ripped off, and discusses how he (Steve) has been terribly affected by it - financially, and how it feels to watch your creations get ripped off.

Link brings you to page 6, but those unfamiliar w the Digital Dissolve brouhaha may want to start at the beginning.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=100

Thanks for posting that Mark, I had started to read it way back when, I'm picking up where I left off. Another rip off of Lethal Tender is Craig Petty's Appirition.
He reversed the gimmick and changed the card to a coin purse. Steve's posts confirms my opinion of what Craig and Alakanzam did. To add insult to injury, Craig used
Steve's orignal LT as a selling point of his version and said it was Out dated. That's pretty low. And Alakazem continues to carry rip off versons of LT. Craig claims
Appirition is an improvement of LT. It's not his place to improve Steve's effects. That piece of work Justin MIller did the same thing. Both claim they credited Steve,
when the estate read that, they said they don't want them crediting Steve, they want the ripoffs to stop. Steve Dusheck Line of Magic is an international registered trademark
and no part or in whole can be used without expressed written permission by the estate and or AirShip Magic Mfg. that my brother owns.

It appears to be a sickening situation of if a dealer has something magicians want, they're willing to overlook their rip off effects.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
Steve Dusheck Line of Magic is an international registered trademark
and no part or in whole can be used without expressed written permission by the estate and or AirShip Magic Mfg. that my brother owns.

Then your brother should file a lawsuit for trademark infringement in state or federal court.

A search of The United States Patent and Trademark Office website for "Steve Dusheck Line of Magic" returns no results.

"Steve Dusheck's" is a registered trademark owned by Marsha Dusheck.

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/search
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, GJo wrote:
Quote:
Steve Dusheck Line of Magic is an international registered trademark

Then your brother should file a lawsuit for trademark infringement in state or federal court.

A search of The United States Patent and Trademark Office website for "Steve Dusheck Line of Magic" returns no results.

"Steve Dusheck's" is a registered trademark owned by Marsha Dusheck.

Yes that's the one, Marsha holds the trademark registration. We have extended reach by the estate to enforce it.

You and I both know that a legal battle is not worth the $. As always, it's the principle.

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/search
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Marsha Dusheck's trademark is for "Steve Dusheck's".

Therefore, any "Lethal Tender" trick (or any other Dusheck trick), not marketed as "Steve Dusheck's Lethal Tender", would not appear to violate the trademark, which helps explain why Lethal Tender effects from at least nine entities are currently being sold, and retailers like penguinmagic.com offer the trick from a couple of manufacturers. It's unlikely that penguinmagic.com would put its business at risk by marketing any product that exposes the retailer to a lawsuit.

As you have said, if folks want Steve Dusheck's original routines then Airship Magic is the source.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
Marsha Dusheck's trademark is for "Steve Dusheck's".

Therefore, any "Lethal Tender" trick (or any other Dusheck trick), not marketed as "Steve Dusheck's Lethal Tender", would not appear to violate the trademark, which helps explain why Lethal Tender effects from at least nine entities are currently being sold, and retailers like penguinmagic.com offer the trick from a couple of manufacturers. It's unlikely that penguinmagic.com would put its business at risk by marketing any product that exposes the retailer to a lawsuit.

As you have said, if folks want Steve Dusheck's original routines then Airship Magic is the source.

The trademark is to stop people using Steve's name associating with rip off versions of any of his effects. The trademark covers Steve Dusheck's and any use of the trademark whole or in part.
Meaning they can't use Steve Dusheck. I've reported 2 people so far to the tradmark association and they quickly removed any mention.

In the small community we are, it's a shame you have to resort to it at all. I personally own 9 trademarks and in all the years have never had to enforce it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
According to Steve's daughter, there are hundreds of effects that never saw the light of day or offered. It's a shame, Steve was brilliant.

The "slippery sam" gaff is more than what Steve used for his Copper and Silver transposition (see it on his lecture video). Slippery Sam (combination coin set) is a two coin set, one silver and one copper, which uses both the sliding feature and magnetism - both "coins".

@Jake - any chance you guys will offer the combination coin set? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
@Jonathan
Probably in the future. Right now my lil' brother is sawing his fanny off making "Head Outs" But I'll mention it to him to request it be added
to the long list by the Dusheck Estate.

On another note, my lord Jonathan, you almost have the same amount of postings as my accountant LOL.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2024, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The "slippery sam" gaff is more than what Steve used for his Copper and Silver transposition (see it on his lecture video). Slippery Sam (combination coin set) is a two coin set, one silver and one copper, which uses both the sliding feature and magnetism - both "coins".

That's interesting.

I looked it up in Genii (Nov. 1974, p. 492). Released by Eddie Gibson. Anyone here own this effect?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What would you like to know about the Slippery Sam Combination Coin Set?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Gibson copied a lot of Dusheck's and other folks'stuff.

The Slippery Sam Combination Coins set is all Dusheck.

I'd love to get an original set.

Quote:

That's interesting.

I looked it up in Genii (Nov. 1974, p. 492). Released by Eddie Gibson. Anyone here own this effect?
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2024, inigmntoya wrote:
Gibson copied a lot of Dusheck's and other folks'stuff.

The Slippery Sam Combination Coins set is all Dusheck.

I'd love to get an original set.

Quote:

That's interesting.

For reference, I read the Slippery Sam info here, then looked it up in Genii:
https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.ph......_removed

Quote:
In the U.S., Steve Dusheck reinvented this form of shell and, in 1974, Eddie Gibson of the U.K. marketed it under Dusheck's name, as “Slippery Sam”, a copper-silver transposition that echos Zmeck's “Gold und Silber”; see Genii, Vol. 38 No. 11, Nov. 1974, p. 492.