The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Anyone dealt with Roy Kueppers :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Gregor Mann
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Gregor Mann
I have once orderd something from Roy and after 6 month of horrible communication. He said he deliverd my coins , but they never arrived.

I orderd a simple half dollar shell and a copper silver dollar.

I am just wondering if others have made equally bad experiences with him?
My latest Rubberband effect
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-rjVv3a60g&t=18s
10 Tricks that might fool you or not Smile
alanm99
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
137 Posts

Profile of alanm99
Many years ago I bought tricks from him.

I am in UK and he shipped them in good time.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Communication can be spotty.
Based on what I've seen/heard, his work quality can vary from very good to very disappointing.

Ask for the tracking number showing delivery.
Hope you paid via PayPal (for that and any such transaction) - they'll generally refund you if the seller can't produce tracking showing delivery.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
I called Roy and asked if he had a dollar sized CSB set and he said he'd have one ready in a week. Easy transaction and the set arrived on time. I always recommend him.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
I have bought coins from him on 8 different occasions, and in my case every order came back quickly, and my Morgan Hopping Half he said may take a few weeks, and it did. I have also had quick replies with questions. So my personal experience has always been very good with Roy. Best of luck with your order, and I hope whatever the mix up is, is an easy fix.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Poor communicator as mentioned already but his craftsmanship is pretty good. In fact I remember a ton of hype when Garrett Thomas put out "Imagination Coins" as to the provided gaff (made by Roy) was one of the better if not the best that people had seen in a long time. I have a lot of his gaffs, I just buy them from shops like Penguin who have them in stock and I don't have to wait or worry. As a matter of fact, I just bought an "Expanded Shell Set (shell and 4 matching coins - English Penny version)" from Penguin for $45 and it is perfect quality. My opinion is to buy from shops or take your chances. Disclaimer--- I have never dealt directly with him but have read this same story countless times over the years here. I was kind of hoping that now that he has moved from Canada to Las Vegas (I heard) that it would improve. Who knows?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Gregor Mann
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Gregor Mann
Thanks for the replies!I guess I was just unlucky

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
As inigmntoya said above a lot of reports of varying quality and wait times. There's been numerous threads over the years about Roy's work.
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
He’s clear ADD! All of my exchanges with him are erratic at best!
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I saw Him 2 years Ago At 4 F. And ordered A English Penney Shell for a Sun And moon Coin ! I have yet to get it ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Regardless of good or bad: it is not a good business model for long term success; I hope Roy gets the reins and puts those instances in the past!

Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Roy Kueppers seems to have the most divisive reputation among coin gaffers from my research through the internet. Opinions ranging from "amazing" to "terrible" quality.

It seems like only consistency in all this is his lack of communication with clients which is kind of disappointing considering like Stephon Johnson mentioned doesn't set a good precedent for success. Especially with how customer loyalty these days and in such a niche market is really important :S A lot of these kinds of products aren't cheap either so a lack of communication from vendor to client is just such a turn off.
mysta-magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
27 Posts

Profile of mysta-magic
I don’t usually visit the Café but this post was brought to my attention so here I am. It‘s been a rough few months for everyone and that includes myself as a craftsman for many reasons however if someone had not received their order, please contact me thru email and please try to let me make it right before posting on the Café. I understand that it’s frustrating to not receive your orders and I can assure you that it is never my intention to miss or purposely not send an order. Each of my customers is very important to me and although it’s very tough to please everyone (just ask any business owner) I definitely will never stop trying. I am fulfilling several orders every day so ship regularly and receive many rewarding emails daily. For the most part my customers are very happy and it shows with all of the positive feedback I receive. However, although rare I do sometimes hear from customers that either have an issue with their order or never received an order. Sometimes the delay is because I haven’t had a chance to make the item(s) because I’m still sourcing the coins for the job and sometimes it’s because I am waiting to set up a machine for a specific
part of the process and need to finish what I’m currently working on first which can take days or even weeks at times.
And sometimes it’s because I’ve overlooked an order completely although never deliberately.
Sometimes packages are lost in the mail due to the postal system for internal reasons that are totally out of my control such as customs on international orders etc. If your package does not get shipped as a result of me not shipping and I am unable to ship for whatever reason I will gladly refund your payment. I can assure you that I’m not trying to scam anyone. I know what that feels like. I am the creator of the Bite out coin over 25 years ago and in 2017 someone Trademarked my name and began counterfeiting my product and used my name to make these sales. I spent a lot of money on Lawyers to have the trademark removed from that person and gain control of it myself. I was finally successful . Not a good situation .

I spend several hours a day replying to emails as I receive approx 30-40 per day (Sometimes more) so for pretty much a one man show I easily get overwhelmed. And if I don’t put in enough time in the shop then orders don’t get completed so a bit of a catch 22. I place emails in various folders and try to respond to all of them but sometimes they do get lost in the pile and I apologize. I am grateful for all my customers and don’t take any of them for granted so if something you ordered has not arrived please reach out again and I’ll look into and do my best to make it right .

Sincerely,
Roy Kueppers
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On May 25, 2020, mysta-magic wrote:
I don’t usually visit the Café but this post was brought to my attention so here I am.

Sincerely,
Roy Kueppers

You did yourself a lot of good by posting here personally. Thank you for that. Our Magic craftsmen are rare and precious.

Now, take care of Dave's English penny shell!
st3v13
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of st3v13
I sort of just assume maker's of all things are busy people.

All the gimmicks I've received from Roy have been great.

I'm gonna say the "method" for achieving some aren't the way I like, but that doesn't mean it was done poorly. I just think alternative "method" is more convincing, but I'm gonna say no1 I've performed for has noticed.

In all honesty, I send an email once a week and hope he responds =D PERSONALLY, I think his work is worth it, but it is up to the individual.

Steve
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I've ordered from Roy before and the product shipped after a few weeks. Nice gaff (unexpanded shell etc). Communication also seems fine, as Roy is a one man show. I intend to order from him again.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On May 24, 2020, Gregor Mann wrote:
I have once orderd something from Roy and after 6 month of horrible communication. He said he deliverd my coins , but they never arrived.

I orderd a simple half dollar shell and a copper silver dollar.

I am just wondering if others have made equally bad experiences with him?

After my experience I would say he is a scammer!

His work is hit or miss. When it's good, it's actually very good. When it isn't...it's awful and unusable. There seems little to no in-between on that. I've purchased from him twice in the last ten years. One good experience, and one an absolute nightmare so bad that I won't ever purchase, own, or use anything he makes again - even gimmicks he makes for other magicians and suppliers. I'll send you a PM of the details. He's not a scam, but no one can or will deny that he's a lousy communicator. And it has been my experience, and is my personal opinion, that he is a terrible business person and not always entirely truthful. Whether you ever get your stuff, or get it without waiting the better part of a year after being fed excuses and lies, or even get good product is a gamble. And it is a gamble I lost several years ago and I won't ever make again.
Gregor Mann
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Gregor Mann
I have contacted him now. I will keep you updated about his response and if I will actually recieve my coins.

stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I hope this gets sorted for you Gregor. I made my second purchase from RK a couple of weeks ago (the first was last year and all was fine, and the gaff was good quality). This time round he responded to my initial email the same day, and I've had an email saying my package is posted to the UK, so all good from Roy so far.

Let us know how you do.
SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
I ordered coins from Roy this year. His communication wasn't the best but I realize he isn't making a living making gaffs so I was patient.
I continued to send friendly reminders and he responded reasonably. Anytime I called him he took the time to discuss progress. When they showed up I was so excited to get them I forgot all about the wait. I ordered a morgan Silver Copper Brass, His version of Lethal Tender and a set of 4 silver morgans with a matching shell!
Roy's Coin sets are all real coins and handle beautifully. My favorite coins are the Morgan S.C.B. I hope to work with Roy on some future projects since he is willing to machine anything you ask!

Roy is a great machinist who is very busy with his business. A little patients will get you great quality coin sets!
At least that's my opinion.
Cheers