The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The marquee says... :: Who to see in Vegas (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
thatmichaelguy
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of thatmichaelguy
I am taking a short trip to Vegas this month, and I've only got one night to see a show. So, who's your can't-miss, gotta-see-em suggestions of the performers that have shows currently?

Thanks in advance!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
When I was there I was able to see Penn & Teller and Nathan Burton.
However I really wanted to see Mac King!

My vote Mac King! I ONLY heard great things about his show!!!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Well I have seen Mac King's show in Vegas about 3 years ago and can say it's a winner! Put it this way, my poor wife who has been subjected to far more magic than any reasonable person should, loved it! I can't think of a better endorsement than that...
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Another vote for Mac King
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Mac King performs in the afternoon, if you can see his show it’s great.

As for the evening show... if you can only see 1... I would vote for Penn & Teller. If you can swing for 2 ($$$ wise) I would vote for Copperfield and Matt Franco.
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Mac King all the way! I’ve seen his show many times and it’s always great...and the best part is, it’s an afternoon show so you can still choose another show for the evening. I would recommend Mat Franco at the Linq. The show is very entertaining and it was much better than I expected. Also, Penn and Teller is always a good choice.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Copperfield.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Man King and Penn and Teller.
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
Copper field is a must. I have always wanted to see Penn and Teller. I was disappointed with Criss Angel. What about the mentalist shows?
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Mac King. P&T's show is also great.
The way we bought tickets to P&T were from a last minute kiosk selling half-price tickets. Then about an hour before showtime I went to the box office ticket counter, waited til no other patrons could hear, then I showed my tickets to the gentleman behind the counter and did the "$20 Trick" - handed him a $20 bill and asked if there were any upgrades available. He said please come back about 10 mins before showtime and check, they would release any VIP tickets that weren't claimed. I did, he did, we got great seats for not a lot of dough, and the show was of course phenomenal.
I'm also pretty interested to see DC what with what I'm hearing about spaceships, aliens, and dinosaurs.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The real problem with the $20 ticket trick is that you end up giving money to someone who had absolutely NOTHING to do with the artistic process in the least. The artist are basically robbed and to me that is abysmal. It is hard enough for artists to make money as the system is. Marketing in Las Vegas costs A BOATLOAD of money and every dollar on every ticket counts. That guy is paid. Artists depend upon tickets.

I just don't like the way that feels to do it to another artist, much less a couple of our "brothers".

Maybe you never thought of it that way. I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't. Hopefully in the future most will.

Go see Penn and Teller and go see Mac King. Two of the best shows anywhere.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. The person who gets screwed is the artist/performer. Vegas is all nearly pay-to-play, with many shows running at a loss during he week due to the expensive costs of advertising, marketing and promotion. This is not supporting other performers or the community.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
The real problem with the $20 ticket trick ....

Those tickets were VIP comps. Would they have been put up for sale and the proceeds given to the artist? (honest question btw)
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Does it matter? You took money out it another artists pocket. Do you realize that in Vegas it can cost 75 cents of every dollar taken in to run a show?

You didn’t get a cut rate show.

It just shocks me artists willingly do this to other artists and then try to somehow justify the behavior.

And yes there is a system in place for what to do with those tickets. What the system isn’t is you giving a person, already being paid by the way, a bribe so the only people getting benefit from the transaction are not the artists themselves. Why not ask and PAY for the upgrade?

I have a serious question for you. Do you perform for a living? Do nothing but perform to make money? Do you have a theater you promote to try to get people to show up and pay money to do so? If so wouldn’t you think you would want all that money coming back to you? If not can you see the point as an artist at least?

I do perform exclusively in these environments so maybe I am more sensitive. If just like you to consider this side of the equation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have lived and performed in this town (Las Vegas) for decades. I know many of the headlining performers on the strip many within the magic and mentalism community. I have gone to see many shows in town. I am often offered comp tickets. I have many I have coached, consulted, trained or mentored that have invited me to their shows. I have never accepted a free, comp'd, or discounted ticket to any of these shows. I always pay full price.

I know Danny is the same way. This is what it means to support our art, artists, and community.

I know there are many hobbyists and amateurs here. It is important to understand this and see the greater picture to what it means to be a performer in Las Vegas or anywhere for that matter. What you see as fun entertainment is a business for many and this should be remembered. When many complain that "there are no magic shows in my area" this is part of the reason why.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is just an enormous expense to Mount any show. To take money from them is really not cool.

Support other artists the way you would like to be supported.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Duly noted.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Penn & Teller, Mac King, and David Copperfield are all solid choices but I would also add Piff the Magic Dragon and Matt Franco to that list.