The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Gambling Sleight of Hand discussion thread (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
The second printing is happening!
https://www.gamblingsleightofhand.com/

For those who already received your copies, what are you working on? Or, what sections are you reading?

So far I've been playing with some of the strip cut concepts, the "natural break" on the top stock control, and the table break-off (my favorite of the mucks I've seen on video). I plan on finally reading the Erdnase chapter tomorrow, to see what the fuss is about.

How bout you?
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
Trying not to skip around, but I have checked on certain things I have always wondered about-the tabled break off for instance. I also love his push-trough motion, noe of the tell tale signs of it, no odd out with the elbows thing.

Im with you on the erdnase thing, I am going to read it tonight as well. The riffle stacking and deals are wayyy down the road for me...

curious, what autographed card did everyone get?

(and why did they delete the thread...?)
camron
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of camron
I read the introduction and now it's a free for fall, for me... whatever comes to mind, I just skip to it...
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
The erdnase chapter is a long read. One night may not be enough depending on your level of commitment.

There is a lot there to digest.

I've been going over it for the last three days.
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I am also trying to read the volumes in as linear way as possible. I am practicing an ace cutting routine from the stunts section, just couldn’t resist and it is fantastic. When Jason England talked about the Volumes taking years of study, I felt very skeptical. I’m now on the second ‘false deals’ chapter of Volume one and I’ve already stalled on page 64 trying to take in and practice the ideas up to this point. I think if done thoroughly it actually will take years to properly master Smile
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Have been going through it, in order, with cards in hand. (Noting sections that I will be coming back to for more work.) Pretty much every page has a significant revelation. Sometimes areas I had wondered about, sometimes things I never dreamed were an issue.

Just made it to the push through section. (My favorite shuffle.)

I'm embarrassed to say I never did study Erdnase much. Besides reading Ortiz's work on the subject I have always learned the technique necessary to do a new routine that caught my eye. And ignored most of everything else. As a result the section on Erdanse in Mr. Forte's new book hasn't been a selling point for me. But I gotta admit I'm starting to get curious what all the hub-bub is about.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, rnaviaux wrote:
Pretty much every page has a significant revelation. Sometimes areas I had wondered about, sometimes things I never dreamed were an issue.

This was the biggest surprise to me so far. I think a lot of the things regarding strip cuts and shuffles were a revelation to me, I wasn't expecting to change my handling at such fundamental level.

I've given up on reading in order. I'm still doing so, and have my bookmark in the first book. I'm also just getting to the full deck section. However, I keep getting distracted and end up somewhere else. So, I'm using the two bookmark method for now, lol
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
I've given up on reading in order. I'm still doing so, and have my bookmark in the first book. I am also just getting to the full deck section. However, I keep getting distracted and end up somewhere else. So, I'm using the two bookmark method for now, lol [/quote]

I completely with you on this Kimura. I am so tempted press on and dip in and out of the pages and chapters but I am staying strong......just
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I saw some posts regarding a subreddit on the books but I can't find them now. Did that ever happen, and if so how can a body find it?
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of shahin
@Marlin

It is mentioned in the "what happened to the forte thread" thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/forteyears
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Thanks shahin.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
185 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2020, Paul H wrote:
I've given up on reading in order. I'm still doing so, and have my bookmark in the first book. I am also just getting to the full deck section. However, I keep getting distracted and end up somewhere else. So, I'm using the two bookmark method for now, lol

With regard to whether readers will read from cover-to-cover or jump around, here's what Steve wrote under the title "Experienced Cardmen" on page 1050 (Volume Two):

“Experienced cardmen – if they’re like me – will probably bounce around from move to move and stunt to stunt before settling down and reading the books from beginning to end, assuming they find the research interesting.”
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
Fove52
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Fove52
Hi all, I am trying to collect some valuable material on gambling sleight of hand, I be open to suggestions on where to learn.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Arnold's facebook club.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
...you are in that Tommy? I guess I’ve missed that
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2020, Fove52 wrote:
Hi all, I am trying to collect some valuable material on gambling sleight of hand, I be open to suggestions on where to learn.

This thread you are in is talking about a book that sounds right up your alley. And it’s certainly valuable Smile
Fove52
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Fove52
Oh, I thought it wasn't about Steve forte's book, but the actual topic, my bad!
His new book might be out of my price range though.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
No - we are just in our Boogie Woogie club.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP2KFeHWoAM1LvT.jpg
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2020, Fove52 wrote:
Oh, I thought it wasn't about Steve forte's book, but the actual topic, my bad!
His new book might be out of my price range though.

Jason England's Foundation dvds/downloads are a bit more available, financially speaking. Same for Sal Piacente.
Fove52
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Fove52
I just checked out Jason England's DVD's. I've looked into his work before, but every time I see him do a move it's pure perfection. Anyway, thanks for the info.