The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..30~31~32 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
On a side note I have my real die from Promystic that has a battery moulded in its core .
Meaning it cannot be recharged or replaced and it’s still going strong 10 years later .
The only batteries I have needed to change are in the thumper .
I certainly prefer replaceable watch batteries in the thumpers as have had lots of other rechargeable electronic units off Christopher Taylor etc etc and they just don’t last that great imo Gaz 🙂
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Does anyone know if the receiver has a removable plastic film
coating on the display, or is mine particularly susceptible
to scratch marks?
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2052 Posts

Profile of Daren
So what if the batteries die over a period of time or become faulty? Can we send them back for repair??? It’s not clear what kind of warranty you get with this purchase?
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Daren wrote:
So what if the batteries die over a period of time or become faulty? Can we send them back for repair??? It’s not clear what kind of warranty you get with this purchase?

For this price you should not expect much.
I very much like beeing able to exchange my dice set from Marc Antoine.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Daren wrote:

For this price you should not expect much.

Hilarious. Smile Smile
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, Michael Clifton wrote:
Does anyone know if the receiver has a removable plastic film
coating on the display, or is mine particularly susceptible
to scratch marks?

Yes, there is a peel-away plastic film over the display of the receiver. Just (carefully) get your fingernail under one corner and pull it away.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The usable lifespan of the dice batteries is the LEAST of my concerns. I've learned a little bit of inside information about just how much thought and planning went into the development of Murphy's first Anverdi product. Anverdi Mental Dice is a phenomenally well-made product. And I'm convinced that Murphy's is quite intent on standing behind the product for years to come.

Mark
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2840 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
So Magic Mark, do you like the dice? Can't really tell from your posts.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
So Magic Mark, do you like the dice? Can't really tell from your posts.

So maskless magician, is your cup always half empty? Never mind, all too easy to tell from your posts.

Mark
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
I agree Mark
This is absolutely brilliant
otreboR
View Profile
Elite user
The Netherlands
401 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Oz Pearlman uses the dice at the end of his performance.

Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEO3WDENKU
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2019, otreboR wrote:
Oz Pearlman uses the dice at the end of his performance.

Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEO3WDENKU

Yowser, talk about not being subtle with the glimpse. Yet, nobody noticed. Except other magicians.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The sleep mode feature built into the Anverdi Mental Dice receiver also puts the dice to sleep. I ran a test with a fully charged receiver and dice. I turned them on and then put the receiver in sleep mode. I set a timer. Six hours later I pressed the button to wake up the receiver and the dice. The receiver and dice started working instantly upon waking the receiver. There was no delay for them to "sync" or any kind of delay at all. It was as if the receiver was never put in sleep mode.

Then I turned the receiver off and back on again. The battery level displayed for the receiver was 90% and the battery level of the dice were all 9. (90% or greater).

Six hours in sleep/standby mode and only 10% of the battery was used. Yet, a quick touch of a button and the dice and receiver are instantly ready to go again.

I can carry these around in my pocket in sleep mode all day long with zero concern about the batteries getting too low. Thank you Murphy's Magic!!

Mark
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
3 quick things...

Thing #1 - Finally got around to watching the entire Dream Lunch routine on the Mental Dice tutorial. As others have already stated, its excellent and I really like it. So many possibilities of different presentations.

Thing #2 - I’ve experimented a couple times using Mental Dice (actually using just one die) as a lead-in to my DFB routine. The premise is to create a completely random 2 digit number from 11 to 66. There’s apparently no way I could even know what number they've arrived at. That opens up the possibility of getting yet another hit and could be a good use of including TAP in the routine (or even a good old-fashioned, low tech nail writer) but I haven’t worked that out yet.

I wasn’t sure if reducing the number of possibilities from 1 to 100 down to 11 to 66 might lessen the impact but it seems to be even stronger.

Thing #3 - Previously in this thread a few have stated that a sensory thumper is a superior cueing receiver for this type of device rather than a visual display. But I think if they were to actually try this visual receiver they would quickly change their mind.

It’s soooooo much faster and you never have to wait for round 2 to confirm the number, and a peek is a piece of cake to do, no one suspects it. A routine such as Dream Lunch is so much faster and surefire using a visual receiver, no stalling while waiting and counting buzzes. I think once you try it you’ll never go back to an archaic thumper.

Sure, make sure excuses why a thumper is better but I guarantee you it isn’t for MOST things. Of course there are a couple uses in which it is still better suited but those are more for yes/no things like a which hand routine. But if you need to know particular information then it’s like going from radio to television.
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Vidieoman,
Thing 2 is very clever. BTW, whats TAP?
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
The architect of predictions
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I disagree on the thumper issue as the whole point of waiting for the 2nd time for confirmation is completely justified .
Your scripting is done and actually cleverly plays into things once you fully know the number .
If you need to know it in a instant and you are saying you picked number 5 that’s not the way it should be done .
Obviously a thumper and a screen would be the ultimate but if I could have only one it would always be a thumper .
Take colour match pocket , I fully know they have picked the colour red ( example ) but they have no idea of this so my scripting would be ( after I know ) .
Let me know when you have selected one because once you have I want you to colour in the shorts etc ( all said in one fluid sentence ) .
The whole thing of knowing in an instant is totally irrelevant imo .
I have performed this well over a thousand times so trust me I know Gaz 🙂
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Gaz, I think you missed my point. You simply confirmed that a thumper works well which I was certainly not disputing. We know it works well as it’s been around for ages and has been used successfully thousands (possibly millions) of times. But many performers have difficulty saying a sentence fluidly while also counting accurately. Just because you have the information immediately doesn’t mean you reveal it instantly. And it’s hard to deny that if the spec changes their mind and decides to switch numbers (and that happens to be a large number) it can throw a wrench into things, especially if it’s a routine like Dream Lunch where you are repeating the process a number of times. You really need to move things along at a quick pace in a routine like that to avoid boredom and monotony. But you don’t reveal any information until the very end.

Besides, I don’t think you can say for sure you’d choose a sensory over visual display because I don’t believe you have used this visual display. But MOST (not all) will prefer it after using both IMO. There are trade offs to be sure but just like there are some advantages to radio over television, overall television is preferred by most. I think eventually the same will be true of visual displays but no doubt there will be some who will be dragged over kicking and screaming.

In the not too distant future I can envision even smaller displays that can be hidden almost anywhere and also be programmable to display whatever you like. For instance, with Color Match it simply displays the color red rather than a corresponding number, or whatever you prefer it to display, or can even thump if that’s what you want. But then again, perhaps the naysayers will be proven correct and any electronic effects will be dead and gone before that happens.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree with you Bill I would absolutely love both options .
However as I am so versed in the thumper and think it’s unbeatable in the fact that you can never ever be caught with it that is by far my preference if a product doesn’t have
both options .
I don’t want to palm a miniature screen so I would only ever have one in my top breast pocket and peek downwards .
However I don’t always want to be restricted in my attire and a thumper can be read perfectly in my sock .
Anyway I would love both options and I believe if they could have incorporated these easily from the get go they would of done Gaz 🙂
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:

I don’t want to palm a miniature screen so I would only ever have one in my top breast pocket and peek downwards .
However I don’t always want to be restricted in my attire and a thumper can be read perfectly in my sock .
Anyway I would love both options and I believe if they could have incorporated these easily from the get go they would of done Gaz
🙂

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

IMO, the added vibration option will be a good and useful feature. It's an important requirement. However vibration option will be more practical and effective for just ONE die and not for all three Dice.

Also IMO, with a slight modification to the existing visual display unit, the one Die vibration feature can be easily incorporated in the same visual indication module with a tiny/micro selector switch. No need to have a separate vibration/thumper unit.

Just MY thoughts please.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.