The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..10..15..20..25..30~31~32 [Next]
Syllan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Syllan
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, Syllan wrote:
Looks very similar to Mental Dice by Marc Antoine

Not read the blurb, eh?

I did. But if Marc Antoine version looks far better than the 1976 version (standard size, 3 dice instead of one with 3 different colors, multiple peeks at once), the new Anverdi's version just looks the same as the Mark Antoine version. I can't see any real innovation.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I'm very impressed with the improvements made to these. I would argue that these would be the best dice of their kind on the market especially when you are getting 3 of them and they are color coded. Love the fact that they are now standard size and are now rechargeable. I don't own this particular set so basing everything from the ad-copy as well as experience with how well the original mental dice from Murphy's.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I read the blurb once and could tell you at least three improvements Smile

But hey, sounds like you've got your own opinion and I hope you're happy with your dice Smile
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I read the blurb once and could tell you at least three improvements Smile

But hey, sounds like you've got your own opinion and I hope you're happy with your dice Smile

I'm good, don't really have a use for them so I'll pass. LoL.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
These do look quite nice (and I'm not all that big on using tech).

Though, the execution of this feels quite similar to a recent kickstarter campaign that I've seen... "GoDice" I believe. Is this sort of tech becoming a little to integrated into the public awareness?

My other qualm concerns the visual display. I recognize that this is the most efficient means to show multiple numbers simultaneously but I feel something a little more subtle (similar to that used by PM) to be superior because there's no need to SEE anything.

I'm just musing out loud here so I'm not strongly for or against this release... Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, DrewBstoss wrote:
These do look quite nice (and I'm not all that big on using tech).

Though, the execution of this feels quite similar to a recent kickstarter campaign that I've seen... "GoDice" I believe. Is this sort of tech becoming a little to integrated into the public awareness?

My other qualm concerns the visual display. I recognize that this is the most efficient means to show multiple numbers simultaneously but I feel something a little more subtle (similar to that used by PM) to be superior because there's no need to SEE anything.

I'm just musing out loud here so I'm not strongly for or against this release... Maybe I'm overthinking things.

Best,

Drew

I would imagine the PM style of signaling when you have 3 dice in play, that would be a fair bit of a pain in the behind as one would have to keep track of the reads of the individual dice as well as wait for the signals to cycle through. This likely would present a problem as you have to both keep track of which each dice is completely mentally as well as wait for the signals to cycle and if you miss one or two of them, you have to go through the entire signalling cycle again. For a single die, I would agree with you, the PM style of signaling would be what I prefer.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Right.

I was simply postulating that a visual cue is much more intuitive to a lay audience and thus less deceptive (IMHO). I understand that arguments can be made about cleverly disguising the peek but that still doesn't negate the need to LOOK.

I guess I'm just partial to the PM signal.

Best,

Drew

(Last frustration... WHY must they explicitly show how this works in the trailer?!)
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I see Merchant of Magic have them for £319.99
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, DrewBstoss wrote:
Right.

I was simply postulating that a visual cue is much more intuitive to a lay audience and thus less deceptive (IMHO). I understand that arguments can be made about cleverly disguising the peek but that still doesn't negate the need to LOOK.

I guess I'm just partial to the PM signal.

Best,

Drew

(Last frustration... WHY must they explicitly show how this works in the trailer?!)

I’m a big fan of the PM version. That said, I bought this, but for different purposes. The routine I use my RD for wouldn’t work with these, yet I already have some ideas of a different routine using these that I couldn’t do with the PM version.

And while layman products are hitting the market, and they show off everything in a trailer, I think that when these things are out in use in front of Live audiences...they have no clue. We are certainly tuned into it, but the general public doesn’t care. I also keep a few dupes with me and give them away if I suspect that they suspect anything.

Looking forward to testing these out!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The real question is for a routine do you really need three dice at the same time?

I would argue you most likely do not. Obviously we performers can come up with any routine that we want. But I would hazard to say that using three dice
in one routine might be overdoing it - potentially calling undue attention to the potential method.

Occams Razor.

So for my taste... I will continue to use one die.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
That's the beauty, one dice - one spectator
3 dice - 3 spectators - or
3 dice to find the page number in a book
2 dice to deal down to a selected card.

Carry a single die and borrow a coin, place the coin face up on the table and turn your back.

Tell the spectator to roll the dice and whatever number they land on to imagine the coin flipping over - heads and tails that many number of times.

Once they are ready tell them to "just think" would the imaginary coin that exists only in their mind be face up or face down.

And you reveal their thoughts....
mayhem
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of mayhem
Glad to see there was already something in the making with rechargeable dice. This looks more of what I would be looking for.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Is there any information on a warranty?
Use the FORCE Luke.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mine has shipped...that was quick (Penguin)...i even had a video of it being packed 🤔
I've asked to be banned
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
You can pick up you Dice here : www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/......-anverdi

Due in stock on Friday!
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
This new Anverdi version ticks a lot of the right boxes for what I'd like to see in a Mental Dice product. I've placed an order.

I already own an original set of Marc Antoine's Mental Dice and it's one of my favorite effects. I purchased it used and one of the dice arrived with a chip in the finish. At the time, I reached out to Marc and he provided outstanding customer service. Despite the fact that I purchased it secondhand, Marc sent me a replacement die for NO CHARGE and he also told me to just keep the damaged die (thus I didn't incur any shipping costs to send it back to him).

Marc recently updated his version of Mental Dice. He changed manufacturers and the new Antoine dice are 1mm smaller than the original version. Also, he is now providing what he calls an "Easy Box". This box is a holder for the Antoine dice and when you place the dice in the box they are automatically turned off and remain off until you remove them from the Easy Box. A VERY nice new feature for dice that don't have rechargeable batteries.

I reached out to Marc (about 10 days ago) to ask about an Easy Box for the original Antoine dice. That's when I learned that the new dice are 1mm smaller and, thus, the original Antoine dice won't fit in the new Easy Box. I was a little bit bummed. Marc offered me a reduced price deal on just the new dice but it was still going to cost me a pretty penny to get the Easy Box capability.

With the new Anverdi Mental Dice announcement, I'm glad I didn't take Marc up on his offer.

How they compare...

Dice Size
Anverdi: ~ 16mm
Antoine Original: ~ 21mm
Antoine New: ~ 20mm

Pros for Anverdi vs. Antoine
Rechargeable Battery in Dice
Receiver is smaller and can be relocated wherever you like
Anverdi are (according to Murphy's site) chip resitant

Pros for Antoine vs Anverdi
Dice are a little larger (better visibility)
Antoine now offers an accessory vibration/thumper receiver that will work with any one of the Antoine dice, which allows non visual communication of the number of that die (similar to what ProMystic offers)

Subjectively, I prefer the Red, White, Black dice of the Antoine version compared to the Red, White, Blue dice of the Anverdi version. I think a deeper, brighter Blue would have looked better for the Anverdi version. The current Blue (as seen in photos) is too pale, IMHO.

At any rate, Anverdi version ordered. It will be really interesting to compare them for range, accuracy, etc. I may end up selling one or the other. Or, I may end up getting the vibration/thumper receiver for the Antoine version and end up using those dice individually for a different effect.

It's too bad there isn't a vibration/thumper receiver for the Anverdi version.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
It was a blast taking part in filming if the video with Murphy's Magic, I am very pleased to work with such professionals. Just incase you did not have a chance to see this, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xnwstql7pzlsf......mp4?dl=0

Chuck Caputo
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:

A vibration receiver would have added good potential. IMO it shouldn't be too difficult for Tony Anverdi to add a vibration receiver.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:

IMO it shouldn't be too difficult for Tony Anverdi to add a vibration receiver.

Smile

I think it might be difficult for Tony to add one all things.considered.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:

IMO it shouldn't be too difficult for Tony Anverdi to add a vibration receiver.

I think it might be difficult for Tony to add one all things.considered.

Mark

Vibration receiver for only ONE die in play. Shouldn't be a problem at all IMO. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.