The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Feminine Mystique :: Fantastic Lady Magician (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
She did do a good job. Her act will be better if she improved in a few things.

I feel her audience will give her an A+. But some magicians are bringing down her rating because they know what to watch for.
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, danaruns wrote:
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was anything special. And I thought the steals were obvious. And the quick changes not so quick. And the magic not so magical. Maybe it was because I was watching her work rather than her "gams." I was hoping that if she had a tutu on, that there would at least be a bunch of props hidden in there that she would produce, but no. Just another friggin tutu. But again, I'm glad you liked it.

There's always one isn't there?
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
This lady has worked very hard to perfect this routine. Yes her quick change was a little slow but it worked. As for the rest we see her move sometimes as we know what is going on, however she probably has to perform several times a day which can be exhausting so we all would slow down a bit. She is doing a very energetic routine and anyone can slip now and again. I think she is a real trooper and did very well. My message to all the ladies out there "YOU GO GIRLS" don't let anyone stop you.
I don't understand all I know about this
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I watched the videos without sound. I thought it was hard to tell if her main concern was magic or auditioning as a dancer. A little movement is fine but after the first cane production, which as witchdoctor pointed out as an obvious steal, she spent way too much time just dancing around with it. Next effect was an appearing cane. The steal was obvious to me. It was quite clear that she picked up something besides the silk. The "quick costume" changes were anything but quick. No real magic there. Before the fan production, why put on the coat? Seemed obvious to me she needed the coat to get the steal and there was no magic with the fan production. Another slow costume change and she comes out with a fan already set to change to silks. More dancing. Finally a costume change coming out to produce a cane. No steal involved and clearly something in her hand. Sorry Bill, it was no where near 8 ft in length.I was expecting the steals to be made from the tutu which provided plenty of cover for everything she did with the canes.

At the same time, I think her ideas were good, just needed to polished especially the timing of the costume changes. Overall just a so so act but nothing special to make it stand out.
Where the magic begins
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Meh.
It was okay & all....but not a whole lotta "oomph" if you ask me.

I mean, canes & fans----she's setting her sights a little low with those props. If that's what youre going to use, you'd better have more to your act than them simply appearing. Even to a non-magician, after the 5th time, the telescoping "appearance" of a cane just isn't going to seem that magical anymore. Not to mention this isn't the sort of thing that plays to a huge audience.

Then there were her quick-changes. Apparently this young lady hasn't seen very many videos of quick-change artistry in magic, or she'd have left that part of her act at home. To be impressive, Q.C. should happen out in the open with only 0.5-2 seconds of visual-blockage. There's nothing magical about going into a changing-room and coming out 4-5 seconds later in an outfit which could easily fit under the one you were just wearing.

Again, I'm not saying it was a BAD show-----I could totally see this act getting hired on a ship or working the street in Vegas.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is what stage manipulation magic is, PRODUCTIONS of objects. Look at Norm Nielsen's Act, Card productions, Coin Productions, Zombie Violin.
Look at Lance Burton, Dove Productions, Card Productions, Candle Productions, and Zombie Floating Ball.

That act was a very hard act to put together and work out. She did an excellent job, and if she performed it for a magician audience, she would have won the contest. but this act was not for magician, but audiences of people that know nothing about magic.

All who picked apart this ladies act, have no knowledge of what a stage magic act is, and have not studied the greats in magic.

Her steals were excellent, and to those that say they seen them is are wrong, sure they came from her body, but you did not see the finger placement or where they came from. You just assume where they came from.

As for the quick change, who said she was doing a quick change of outfits. There is an reason that was not possible, anyone with magic knowledge should know that.

No wonder there is so much hatred of guys in magic by the women trying to join the magic society. With the stupid comments thus far tearing her down in this forum, you all deserve what you get. I am sure not one of you can put together a stage act, anywhere near as good as this ladies.

Lastly, she is working and all of you are not. She is an excellent lady magician. Wish I could see her live performance.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote
No wonder there is so much hatred of guys in magic by the women trying to join the magic society.

I think it's just protesting those that seem to "objectify" women. I am guilty of that. Obviously... Smile

Doug
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote

Lastly, she is working and all of you are not. She is an excellent lady magician. Wish I could see her live performance.

Wow...."all of us"?? Was I just imagining yesterday's gig? Anyone else wanna sound off on the (in)accuracy of Bill's psychic powers?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
OK OK OK, 3 months of grousing,I don't know her, but if you can do better - GOOD - if Not - TRY-PRACTICE-MORE - GUYS lets get on to something/somebody else
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
One doesn't have "to be able to better themselves" to offer a critique of the performance or point out weaknesses or inadequacies. I never thought there was any merit to such types of thinking.

I can critique and dislike a Speilberg movie, but that doesn't mean I have/could to be able to it better myself. Ridiculous.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Opinion verses Knowledge, really don't consider opinions from those without knowledge or experience and educated people.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The audience will be composed, primarily, of those without knowledge or experience or education in the skills presented.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd