The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Favorite color-changing knife routine? (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I had the distinct privilege of seeing the one and only Matt Schulien perform his version of the Color Changing Knives at Schulien's on Irving Park Rd. on a trip to Chicago in 1969. Man, that was SPECIAL! Matt was an exceptionally "hands on" kinda guy.... sitting down with his customers and performing "in their face" Up Close and Personal as they dined and drank at his establishment....and he LITERALLY had them laughing so hard they had tears rolling down their cheeks. What FUN watching that man entertain!!!

In terms of Audience Reaction, it was the strongest I had seen to that point.

Later, I met Scotty York at an early Desert Magic Seminar in Las Vegas......he showed me his routine and I loved it and bought the routine and his knive set.

Most recently, on Pop's Advice....I purchased his "Intricate Web of Distraction".

The Color Changing Knives is a trick that THRIVES on audience participation and "The adventures of their ongoing interaction with the Knives and The Magician as he "Does his thing."
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Examinable knives. Audience participation. Those are both important. I think that the routine must be tightly scripted in order to not let the audience get a chance to ask to see the knife.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Pop,
Agreed - Ring out the special ones long before it becomes interesting...
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Pop Haydn Is Joe Mogar still making knives? Are Joe's knives still the best? I see most (if not all) places are listing Joe's knives as "out of stock" Im looking to buy a set because I really want to start working on practicing your "intricate web of distraction" but really only want to buy 1 set and so I'm on a hunt for the best knives I can find,
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Rodger Lovins will be putting out an amazing set of color-changing knives this month. It is a three knife set that will work with my routine.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Pop,
thanks so much for the quick response! just to clarify are Joe Mogar's "Pop Haydn stag knives" no longer available or are you recommending the ones that Rodger Lovins will be coming out with over Joe's? I'm just super excited to start working on the intricate web & wanna have the best knives to do your routine and the work I'm planning on putting in justice . thanks in advance for the advice
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Joe has pretty much stopped making knives, but you may be able to find a set online or in some of the magic shops. The Rodger Lovins knives are the best, but expensive. If you want to make a lifetime investment, the Lovins knives are the way to go. Lanny Kibbey also makes beautiful high end knives.

You can find more knowledgeable people here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/670336429673248/
It is a Facebook group just on the Color-Changing Knives.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Great input as always! I actually joined that faceBook page earlier today. thanks.
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Foe everyone's information. I am still making The Stag Knife sets for Pop Haydn's routine. Plus many other routines.
I have fallen way behind due to my wife Joan having a little trouble with her Parkinson's. I have many other favorite
knife sets available. Email me at magicstars@usa.com and see my website www.joemogar.com
Thanks, Joe
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Joe,
Its great to hear that your still making knives, are your DVD's still available too? I am very sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I truly wish her the very best. I know Parkinson's can be very hard on those who have it as well as their loved ones I wish you both strength & patients.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Great to hear that Joe is still making knives. His knives are great, and were designed and are perfect for my routine. They are also the best value price-wise. I have used the Mogar knives for many, many years.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Favorite routine Pop Haydn's "Intricate Web of Distraction", watching any of Pop's routines is a real treat, if you like Linking Rings his Linking Rings Routine is really good as well. I like Daryl's knife routine as well..

My favorite knives are Joe Mogar's stag set, for me the stag makes it easier to know which knife/side by feel.. . Roger Lovins Knives are superb as well but they are a little too long for my hands...
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I am a big fan of "paddle" tricks like the Jumping Gems and the Money Paddle, and I would also like to get into the CC Knives.

I do have one concern about using the knives. Unlike most paddle effects, where the top and bottom edges of the paddle are the same, a penknife has a different top (the small exposed part of the blade) than the bottom (the smooth bottom of the knife). So when the paddle move is used, the exposed top of the knife will end up in a different position in your hand (the top and bottom will be reversed).

Doesn't this look odd to an observant spec, and provide a possible tip to the method? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, sethb wrote:
I am a big fan of "paddle" tricks like the Jumping Gems and the Money Paddle, and I would also like to get into the CC Knives.

I do have one concern about using the knives. Unlike most paddle effects, where the top and bottom edges of the paddle are the same, a penknife has a different top (the small exposed part of the blade) than the bottom (the smooth bottom of the knife). So when the paddle move is used, the exposed top of the knife will end up in a different position in your hand (the top and bottom will be reversed).

Doesn't this look odd to an observant spec, and provide a possible tip to the method? SETH

I have been doing the knives for more than forty years, and have never had anyone ever notice that discrepancy. They are looking at the color of the handle.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

I could see it being a problem if your doing a simple paddle routine with knives but if you do a knife routine that moves along their brain doesn’t have time to question or even notice it. I highly recommend Pop Haydn’s “ Intricate Web of Distraction”
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
If you are worried about one side of the knife not having the little groove to open the knife I believe the Rodger Lovins knives have it on both sides..
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:

I have been doing the knives for more than forty years, and have never had anyone ever notice that discrepancy. They are looking at the color of the handle.

Thanks Whit, for your thoughts. I think your comment pretty much settles the matter. Maybe I was thinking about this a little too hard! Seth
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
An observant spectator noticed the blade discrepancy with the Mogar knives when I performed it one on one. During the paddle move the blade will jump from one side to the other. Best to keep it moving and not pause at the top of the move.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2020, Leo H wrote:
An observant spectator noticed the blade discrepancy with the Mogar knives when I performed it one on one. During the paddle move the blade will jump from one side to the other. Best to keep it moving and not pause at the top of the move.

What routine were you doing?
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
43 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2020, Leo H wrote:

Haven't had this problem before... I think because they get to handle both knives before... they are concentrating more on the color change of the knife they just had in their hand than they are the blade position.