The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Tenyo 2020 (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Downloaded all of the instructions today, I find that the trailers help more than the written instruction for "what to do" I am also anxious to try the gravity trick - not at all what I was expecting and also a little worried ... LOL

The lasso trick is exactly like a trick I had as a teen (same principle) and they even include a paper bag! As opposed to today's sellers who just say "supply your own"

Out of all of them 4D cross is my favorite
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
I am also anxious to try the gravity trick - not at all what I was expecting and also a little worried ... LOL

Worried about what? Reliability? Practicality? That's the one I have my eye on, and I'd just as soon skip it if it's not going to be usable.

Evan
omagico
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of omagico
Ok got the gravity, card fishing, and the 2 key chains tricks.

First impressions

Fishing - on the unit I got the ma****s were reversed so I had to fix my rope to function correctly. The 1st 2 people I tried it on were both just saying NO, NO WAY!! WHAT THE F** was that? This one is a keeper for sure.

Gravity - not sure how repeatable this is at the moment. I'm also not sure how strong the adhesive is.

Key Chains - interesting concept. takes more dexterity than the Card Fishing and Gravity. Things are a little tight to do smoothly. I'll be using the second option of passing a pencil through. Much more smooth at least for me at this point.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I got them all too.

Gravity - may be a real worker

Will keep you posted.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4756 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Most interested in gravity. Seems very similar to something that was released months ago but I cannot remember the name.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
It's the "clear" everything that makes this so strong. Really smart deployment of an old idea . . . Tenyo!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Busting them out today - spending Saturday in the "magic lab"

Fishing was awesome - showed it to my 11 year old with no prior practice and it got a HUGE reaction (and he sees a lot of magic) He told me "that's a good one."

Gravity ... the jury is still out on this one. I can't seem to get it to be 100% reliable. I can see someone trying to be funny and just pulling it up regardless. TENYO gives you two options (like you see in the trailer)
perform it on a smooth table top - or use the plastic mystic circle plate that's included (if the table top is rough or covered with a tablecloth)
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Busting them out today - spending Saturday in the "magic lab"

Fishing was awesome - showed it to my 11 year old with no prior practice and it got a HUGE reaction (and he sees a lot of magic) He told me "that's a good one."

Gravity ... the jury is still out on this one. I can't seem to get it to be 100% reliable. I can see someone trying to be funny and just pulling it up regardless. TENYO gives you two options (like you see in the trailer)
perform it on a smooth table top - or use the plastic mystic circle plate that's included (if the table top is rough or covered with a tablecloth)

Fishing is an old classic so, IMHO, well worth buying.

Gravity, IMHO, is not very exciting so not a necessary purchase. Maybe the least worthwhile one in the bunch.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
So interesting how the fishing is reported so well here. It's just not my cup of tea but you guys are making me re-think this one with your enthusiasm.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
4D cross feels a little like an ADAMS magic trick - reminds of their own penetration effect.

This one you need to read the "helpful hints" in the instructions to really "find your sweet spot" and even then it can be a little wonky.
(or at least mine is .... or maybe it's my 50 year old eyes and fingers)
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, StarManager wrote:
So interesting how the fishing is reported so well here. It's just not my cup of tea but you guys are making me re-think this one with your enthusiasm.

Watch the Japanmagic demo of it on YouTube. Here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQrWK7y1o-s

Perhaps that will convince you to order it. As usual, he comes up with a very clever and creative twist on the original prop.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

I just opened NOTE A BILL a little while ago and it was not quite what I was expecting/hoping for. Kind of like a disposable prop.

The only use for it I see as worthwhile would be if you use it to hand out your business card if you have one. If not, then may be one to pass on.

It will not be long before I try to sell it as an opened in new unused condition piece.

So, this one beats the Gravity Box as not very exciting at least for me.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I see lots of uses for Note A Bill. It is somewhat as I expected and the included pad and materials are very "adult" as opposed to the bright colored standard Tenyo props. Tenyo could double sales if they offered EVERY plastic effect as they regularly offer and in Matte black as an option . . .
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Ok, I opened Mystery Blade. There was a little bit of confusion with the instructions and the base the decks rests on for me, but it was my own dumb fault
The card force they teach is genius for a baby deck like this - it's a totally normal deck! (well, except that it's super dupes tiny)

Note a bill is the most elaborate as far as set up and execution

So final of the night - from favorite to least favorite

1. Fishing
2. 4D
3. Mystery Blade
4. Note a bill
5. Gravity Box
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Just curious, what are some of Tenyo's features / additions to the Miracle Card Fishing effect? Can this version be done with a signed card? I assume not based on the trailer, but would be a pleasant surprise.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

So I have been getting comfortable with and practicing my presentation for 4 D CROSS for a few days and can say with confidence that I am now ready to perform it.

The handling is actually much easier than I first expected. The secret to success with it is to get really familiar with the included props and not work too hard to make the magic happen.

For me, this is by far the most ingenious release Tenyo has had for quite a few years! This is that old fashioned laugh out loud clever Tenyo method and design and a delightful (and refreshing as of late) prop we have come to know and love with Tenyo releases.

By the way, there are no noise or concealment issues as I have seen mentioned. Lots of practice in order to get familiar with the props and handling will take care of that!

How in the world this was designed so well is fascinating to me. I would go as far as to say that the ingenious method is comparable to Mystery China Box. No kidding!

Certainly my favorite of the 2020 line!
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I agree that the Cross is wildly creative and deceptive!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I've done reviews for the entire TENYO 2020 line - if anyone wants a more "inside look" at them all.

The first one will go live MONDAY and the rest will follow each day. I'll be in California and away from my desk that week, so I am telling you in advance. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5QAqNOGAGb56RWANf6bqmg/
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Awesome David! Looking forward to these. Thanks for doing it.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Have to say I am really liking the Gravity Box! Working well on tables and counter. Maybe I got lucky but working consistently so far. The clear box is so deceptive and lends itself as a utility item for a number of routines. I think Lubor would have loved this! My fav so far. I agree 4 D Cross is cool and "old school" Tenyo Smile