The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Betchas :: Best book with bar bets etc - what do you recommend? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2200 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Of the various books available that teach bar bets and similar material, what would your recommend as best?
LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
Diamond Jim Tyler has three pocket-sized volumes of "Bamboozlers" which is all anyone should ever need!
holdingoutflat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of holdingoutflat
I'm sure you can find a bunch of other posts with the same question that give better answers but Simon Lovell has a lot written on bar bets
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2200 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2019, LarryD wrote:
Diamond Jim Tyler has three pocket-sized volumes of "Bamboozlers" which is all anyone should ever need!

The three book set of Bamboozlers by Diamond Jim Tyler (available from him here) proved to be a great recommendation, thanks for the tip. His Penguin Lecture (Diamond Jim Tyler LIVE 2) covers a lot of content straight from the books, and is a good companion source.

101 Bets You Will Always Win by Richard Wiseman (from the terrific youtube channel Quirkology) also turned out to be a great choice, and has similar material; I also highly recommend it.

I can't recommend Paul Zenon's 100 Ways To Win a Tenner. The bar betchas included are decent enough, but the explanations are not - they're overly wordy, and don't just get straight to the teaching.

Brian Brushwood also has a couple of good books with bar bets and more that he's produced under his Scam School title.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I second the Brushwood books, they are written in a simple, clear style without unnecessary complications.
However I appreciated the Zenon's book too ( although I prefer the one on pranks, Dirty Tricks ).
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
231 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
I am writing volume 4 now. Later this year I plan to release the Bamboozlers Deck. The design is gorgeous.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
The Modern Conman by Todd Robbins and how to cheat at everything.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2200 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2020, Diamond Jim wrote:
I am writing volume 4 now. Later this year I plan to release the Bamboozlers Deck. The design is gorgeous.

I'm looking forward to it, Diamond Jim.

I bought the first three from you, and love this series!
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
The Bunco Book by Simon Lovell is also very good.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
jackfarrah1991
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jackfarrah1991
I have already read a lot of books about betting. But I want something more interesting.
samrich
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of samrich
I read online articles, I don't have enough time for books.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2200 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2021, samrich wrote:
I read online articles, I don't have enough time for books.

I also read online articles, but I love the permanency of a book.

I can take it with me even when I have no gadgets or internet, and can pass on to the next generation or give away as a gift.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
The Bammo Flim-Flam Conglomeration by Bob Farmer is an excellent book! Definitely check it out.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
For starters you have:
Big Bad-Ass Book of Bar Bets & Drinking Games by Jordana Tusman
and
How To Cheat At Everything - cheating, scams and hustles by Simon Lovell
MaxArtifice
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of MaxArtifice
For a (light but fun) look at the subject you could try Harry Anderson's "Games You Can't Lose."