The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23 [Next]
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2020, novasteeple wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2020, MrBrown wrote:
Diverter: Call any number, it rings one you preprogrammed
The Stranger: Call any number, it rings the one you preprogrammed (plus if you spend an additional 500 bucks on in app purchases it will integrate with some other apps and stuff)
Right?

I don't have Diverter (I have an Android phone), but The Stranger does a lot more than that.

First, in addition to calling preprogrammed numbers you can also "call" one of many recordings. These are scripted in a way that makes it easy to interact with them as if they were live people. There are also voicemail recordings and "the number you have reached has been disconnected," etc. These can be used as convincers, so that the first number or two you call don't work, and then you get a live person or interactive recording for the last one.

Second, The Stranger conveys information to your confederate through text messages if you pay $3.99 per month for that service. The information can include when you start your show, when a playing card has been selected, a word from a booktest, Wikitest, or other routine, a number, etc. It can include instructions for how to solve a Rubik's Cube to match the spectator's, for owners of The Stranger who also own Cubesmith. There are extra in-app purchases available for the ability to send information to your confederate that you or the spectator merely spoke out loud, using voice recognition; for an optimized number keypad; and for the ability to save lists of words for use in a booktest.

Third, The Stranger comes with a huge and wonderful community. The Facebook group is extremely active with ideas and support, and there are WhatsApp groups in several countries that let you find a confederate at a moment's notice. So you're not only getting an app, you're getting a global network of confederates.

Fourth, The Stranger works on iOS and Android. FaceTime is available on iOS, and video calling is coming soon for Android.

Marc Kerstein and Jonathan Levit are both extremely creative and talented app developers, and both deserve a lot of credit for their products. If you're on a strict budget, have an iPhone, and only want to make a phone call, Diverter is fine. If you want a huge range of features and assistants all over the world (or if you have an Android), The Stranger is the way to go.

I agree 100% I know the stranger has more features I have the stranger. It is much better. All I was saying was you could accomplish a similar thing with diverter. If you are thinking about it go for the stranger. It has a lot of great features and integrations and great service. It also has a great community and regular updates. The recordings are great also
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Cardistry master, all you were saying regarding a Diverter and The Stranger comparison was:

>It does perform the exact same effect<

That's far from "you could accomplish A SIMILAR THING with Diverter", and a claim like the one above still is both misleading and plain wrong. That is why I called it that way.

Why it's misleading and wrong can be easily looked up in the app descriptions and also here throughout this thread, though in the meantime some of the messages were deleted for whatever reasons, but still and nonetheless: any claim they did perform the exact same effect can easily be identified as wrong - which puzzles me since you also claim you have both apps, so you should be in the know.

I'm sure some responses here were deleted because too many people were upset that there was such a fuss about something so plain obvious. So, let's settle this and say there are applications for Diverter and there are applications for The Stranger, but the latter offers much more flexibility and a much broader range of functions - the reason why it's more expensive. Everybody's free to look these details up in the app descriptions.

Hence, there shouldn't have been a dispute in the first place. Still: no offence.

Have a great day everybody, all the best and stay healthy
Michael
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I agree with cardistry master. You can do the exact same effect with both apps and I would go as far as to say this includes all the integrations with the possible exception of CubeSmith. However you would not necessarily use the exact same methods with both apps. Likewise you can perform the effect without using an app at all.

The effect is that a complete stranger reveals whatever you want to reveal. The core difference is that the stranger has some built in options for cueing your stranger. Another difference is that the stranger has some built in convincers such as the dead line and voicemail. Likewise the Stranger has recordings so that you can perform when you do not have an “assistant” available although outside of the US the recordings aren’t really good I certainly would not use the U.K. recordings.

The other advantage of the Stranger is the community.

Both apps have their place and each have advantages over the other depending on your needs.

However from the participant’s point of view the effect is the same regardless of whether you force the information or have the app text the info to the participant or regardless of whether you use wikitest integration or the apple shortcuts feature. CubeSmith I would be a challenge to replicate but personally I think calling a random stranger who just happens to have a Rubik’s cube is just stretching believability a little too far.

However with the exception of CubeSmith the effect is the same, it’s just the methods that may differ. Both apps are great but your needs may favour one over the other.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I agree with cardistry master. You can do the exact same effect with both apps and I would go as far as to say this includes all the integrations with the possible exception of CubeSmith. However you would not necessarily use the exact same methods with both apps. Likewise you can perform the effect without using an app at all.

The effect is that a complete stranger reveals whatever you want to reveal. The core difference is that the stranger has some built in options for cueing your stranger. Another difference is that the stranger has some built in convincers such as the dead line and voicemail. Likewise the Stranger has recordings so that you can perform when you do not have an “assistant” available although outside of the US the recordings aren’t really good I certainly would not use the U.K. recordings.

The other advantage of the Stranger is the community.

Both apps have their place and each have advantages over the other depending on your needs.

However from the participant’s point of view the effect is the same regardless of whether you force the information or have the app text the info to the participant or regardless of whether you use wikitest integration or the apple shortcuts feature. CubeSmith I would be a challenge to replicate but personally I think calling a random stranger who just happens to have a Rubik’s cube is just stretching believability a little too far.

However with the exception of CubeSmith the effect is the same, it’s just the methods that may differ. Both apps are great but your needs may favour one over the other.

Mark

I agree with Mark. I have auto texting that I use for diverter that allows me to perform the exact same effect. I also think the cubesmith integration is too much. No real stranger would do that much. I think the stranger is better since it has some features that make the effect better but you can perform the same thing with diverter with the exception of ithump and cubesmith integration
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2208 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, MrBrown wrote:
Quote:
I give up

Finally.

Exactly.
No one was questioning The Stranger can do more.

We were describing the base effect which to layman both apps can do.

Have you even bothered reading the thread? Of course this was questioned.

It would be terrific if this ranting stopped right away. Most appreciated.

No one is ranting.
Just pointing out both apps do the same thing in layman's eyes.

Pick card, call random number, person reveals card.

Simples.
tleong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
22 Posts

Profile of tleong
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Quote:
I give up, quite speechless how anybody owning and thus knowing either app is able to arrive at such a statement that for a spectator it's the same effect, because it's not. But apparently any discussion here is in vain. So, to each his own, but still please do not claim here for any interested fellow magician that they offered the same, please. Thanks in advance.

I own the stranger.

Effect as laymann see.

They pick a card, dial a random number, person answers and reveals the card.

Is that not what Diverter can do as well?

From my opinion, from what I can see in both app, the end results are the same to the layman but to the magician, both process to achieve results are different. Is like to a layman, regardless you drive a Toyota or a Mercedes, you still reach the destination but to the driver, of course you get different experiences in both car. Of course driving a Toyota you be paying less and driving a Merc will cost you more as you be getting lots of features in the car.
I wanted to buy The Stranger but it cost too much for me as I cant use the other features as I'm in Malaysia, the only mode I can use the live stannger. And I cant buy Diverted as well since I am using Android phone. So I ended up getting Connection by Romanos from Penguin for $9.95 (no app needed, just method) & I just did some minor changes to the way I present it and I still get the same result as well.
Gavin.Wong
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Gavin.Wong
Here's my review of The Stranger by Jonathan Levit. In my opinion, this is one of the strongest effects you will always have on you and ready to perform at a moment's notice!

Dominique Blanco
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Dominique Blanco
Hello to the owner of the app. Is there someone who could tell me what’s everything included in the pro version? Thanks a lot
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2021, Dominique Blanco wrote:
Hello to the owner of the app. Is there someone who could tell me what’s everything included in the pro version? Thanks a lot

Hello! The Pro Pack includes the following revelation modules: Booktest, Listen, NFC, NailWriter, and Number. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have other questions!
Dominique Blanco
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Dominique Blanco
Hello guys I wanted to share my first 3 weeks use of the stranger app. I have to say a premise that I do own a lot of apps (WikiTest,DFB,amalgam,ithump,unlocked and inject) I don’t want to compare stranger to any app, as this is something you can’t compare to other apps for one reason. This is not an effect, this is something that will be a game changer in any serious magician. I can imagine that the pro own the pro package and I am not a pro, but I knew I had to invest in this. So where do I start? First of all the community, there are user like Shawn Farquhar one of the elite in magic, if he purchase it, you know he is not a beginner and understand what has value and what not. Behind this work there is Jonathan Levit, who is not only a superstar, but he is a great person. Jonathan is not like a lot of creator who takes your money and will never answer to any of your message, this is a man that will help you in any issue. The app is usable in over 30 languages. A spectator can choose any card, search for any word, select any number, if you are one of those who own WikiTest or ithumb, a stranger on the other part of the phone, will be able to reveal a zodiac sign of the spectator and a word searched in Wikipedia. This app without you fumbling on the phone, just by unlock your phone and inserting the number they told you. If you don’t own other apps, don’t worry, because you can do a lot of stuff and letting reveal anything to your stranger, even without tapping anything (purchase the listen module and you will understand what I mean)I was in the beginning a huge fan one app as I didn’t know apps in general, but since I purchased the stranger, the reactions are so strong, you can perform it any time and anywhere, even if you do have signal issue. What Mister Levit has created is not a magic trick it’s a huge huge and again huge game changer in any serious professional magician. I can’t suggest it enough. Listen to one advice, if you are still reading this 23 pages in the forum, you are losing good time. This time you will need for the tutorial of the stranger, because once you tried 1 week the full potential, you will never be the same again
rustam2020
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of rustam2020
Does anyone know with the purchase of the WikiTest modular and WikiTest app, if anything else needs to be purchased, like add ons i.e., Listening Mode or Text Message monthly subscription? Or, is there recordings for WikiTest reveal through Stranger?
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, rustam2020 wrote:
Does anyone know with the purchase of the WikiTest modular and WikiTest app, if anything else needs to be purchased, like add ons i.e., Listening Mode or Text Message monthly subscription? Or, is there recordings for WikiTest reveal through Stranger?

The WikiTest module is included in the base price of The Stranger. The text message monthly subscription is used by all modules to send the reveal information to your stranger. It is needed unless you are only using recordings or you have some other way to communicate with your stranger or force information you've set up with your stranger in advance. Since WikiTest doesn't have recordings like card reveals do, you'll need the text subscription. But it's totally worth it and works seamlessly, so just go for it.
rustam2020
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of rustam2020
Thank you! I got it from Hocus. II didn’t know wiki was part of the basic package. They advertise it as they are the only dealer selling it with wiki modular.

I am planning to roll up your sleeves this week and start with Stranger. I don’t have the WikiTest app anyways. Well not yet. But hopefully soon.
rustam2020
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of rustam2020
I just checked. The Book Test module comes free from Hocus It seems it is valued at $99 dollars.
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
A question regarding the different modules:

Isn't the nailwriter module enough for our needs? Or maybe even just the texting subscription? You could transmit every piece of information imaginable that way, isn't it?

I'm confused about which module to get and why. What's the benefit of getting specific modules?

I'm planning on using the stranger to reveal freely chosen and peeked pieces of information (words/numbers) aswell as playing card values.
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2021, Gourmet wrote:
Isn't the nailwriter module enough for our needs?

You might do fine with just the nailwriter module, but the booktest and number modules are intended to reduce the time and touches necessary to enter information. So if you're often transmitting numbers or the same bank of words, those modules will be much faster. The listening module avoids touching the phone at all. The free CubeSmith and Wikitest modules provide integration with those excellent apps.
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2021, novasteeple wrote:
You might do fine with just the nailwriter module, but the booktest and number modules are intended to reduce the time and touches necessary to enter information. So if you're often transmitting numbers or the same bank of words, those modules will be much faster.

One could probably achieve similar speed in typing words from a bank of words (even numbers) by using iOS' text replacement feature (settings - generall - keyboard - text replacement), isn't it?
novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
One could probably achieve similar speed in typing words from a bank of words (even numbers) by using iOS' text replacement feature (settings - generall - keyboard - text replacement), isn't it?

Maybe, depending on your situation. But the point of the booktest module is to be able to preload banks of words, and select words with a single touch. With the keyboard hack you're describing, you'd have to remember all the words for all the booktests you might perform.
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2021, novasteeple wrote:
Quote:

Maybe, depending on your situation. But the point of the booktest module is to be able to preload banks of words, and select words with a single touch. With the keyboard hack you're describing, you'd have to remember all the words for all the booktests you might perform.

Valid point
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
The intent with the revelation modules is to open up creative possibilities, limited by only your imagination. Also, they are designed to streamline the performance by allowing you to input the data more efficiently. The Nail Writer is one of my favorite modules because you can enter anything on the fly, and using the swipe keyboard makes it super easy. And you can find ways to hack the entry (like text replacement, which is REALLY smart), and that's great. Also, the other modules can help you streamline even more. There are lots of ways to go after all of this. In my updates, I am simply trying to give you more options and let you run with them. The Booktest module is one of my favorites because it is so versatile and easy to input data. And, if you want to enter multiple items (like a birthday with day and month, or several objects, or multiple words, etc), this module will let you do that, and it will remember the order in which you choose them.