The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21~22~23 [Next]
magic-splitter
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of magic-splitter
Voila app was already proposing this effect perfectly, and at an international scale 🤔
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, pegasus wrote:
In the context of this routine it is perfectly plausible to use the specs phone. Makes sense.

Edit. I meant your OWN phone. Not the specs.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, pegasus wrote:
In the context of this routine it is perfectly plausible to use the specs phone. Makes sense.

Edit. I meant your OWN phone. Not the specs.

Thanks for this clarification. I agree!
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Psy
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, RichOrvec wrote:
Is is possible to make my own recording? For example, if I say wanted to reveal a word that I forced, could I make my own recording with my own “script” for the voice of the spectator?

I agrees with this comment. The possibility of being able to create your own recording with your own reveals is what will take this to the next level
gassaox
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of gassaox
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, Psy wrote:
Quote:
Is is possible to make my own recording? For example, if I say wanted to reveal a word that I forced, could I make my own recording with my own “script” for the voice of the spectator?

I agrees with this comment. The possibility of being able to create your own recording with your own reveals is what will take this to the next level

Could and you do that with fake call app where you can record your voice and set it to the time I want your phone to ring ,only difference is they phone you ,u do not phone them and it is free
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
982 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, Psy wrote:
Quote:

I think what makes stranger unique and well worth the money is a real person. I love using concepts such as complete strangers having moment of connection.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
RichOrvec
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RichOrvec
Basically, I want the option to have a spectator call a random number, and the recording that plays is whatever I want it to be. I'd like the option to write my own script for a "random" conversation with a "stranger".

If I could get an answer to this, it would be an instant buy for me if this is doable.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:

Thanks for the question. The subscription is NOT necessary to perform the effect. This monthly subscription (you can cancel at any time and the first month is free for you to try) will communicate the selected card to the stranger without you having to do anything. If you are not using this feature, you can still call a live person and either use a code to communicate the card, or use a forced card. You can also interact with one of several recordings in the app that sound like real phone calls. The recordings will reveal any card selected or named.

Can you expand on the subscription method? Not quite sure what this offers. Communicate the selected card without having to do anything. Hmm
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
"No sleights, codes, forces, hidden accomplices or pre-show work"

Well, unless you want to do it the way they show in the demo. Smile

So I've seen elsewhere in this thread that there is a community of people willing to be the stranger.

What happens when the number of performers wanting a stranger is greater than the number of people willing to be a stranger at a given time? Is there something that lets the performer know they can't call a stranger currently?

I can also imagine that there will be enthusiastic volunteers at the start that lose their enthusiasm after the 50th or 100th or 1000th call.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Psy
Being able to create a recording simulating a LIVE CALL will be a perfect addition!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Thanks for the question. The subscription is NOT necessary to perform the effect. This monthly subscription (you can cancel at any time and the first month is free for you to try) will communicate the selected card to the stranger without you having to do anything. If you are not using this feature, you can still call a live person and either use a code to communicate the card, or use a forced card. You can also interact with one of several recordings in the app that sound like real phone calls. The recordings will reveal any card selected or named. [/quote]

Can you expand on the subscription method? Not quite sure what this offers. Communicate the selected card without having to do anything. Hmm [/quote]

The subscription unlocks the texting feature. Who you enter the phone screen, the app will send a text automatically to the stranger you have specified in your settings (the person you are about to call). They will receive the text immediately and will know the card. Then, when you call them, there is nothing for you to do other than have your conversation and ultimately have the stranger reveal the card.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, barts185 wrote:
"No sleights, codes, forces, hidden accomplices or pre-show work"

Well, unless you want to do it the way they show in the demo. Smile

So I've seen elsewhere in this thread that there is a community of people willing to be the stranger.

What happens when the number of performers wanting a stranger is greater than the number of people willing to be a stranger at a given time? Is there something that lets the performer know they can't call a stranger currently?

I can also imagine that there will be enthusiastic volunteers at the start that lose their enthusiasm after the 50th or 100th or 1000th call.

Your stranger is selected from your contacts on your phone. I have a group of friends that I use as my stranger. When I'm ready to do the show, or prior, I let my stranger/friend know that I'll be performing soon. When the call comes in to them from me, they just answer and we have our conversation. With the texting feature unlocked, there is also a button in the app to automatically send off an alert text to let them know that you are about to walk on stage.
CopperChopCup
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
Is the stranger required to have an iPhone? Can the call be made to a landline or Android phone?
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2019, CopperChopCup wrote:
Is the stranger required to have an iPhone? Can the call be made to a landline or Android phone?

Not at all! You can place the call to any phone!
FredNarlo
View Profile
Loyal user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
282 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
I’m still not 100 percent sure I understand what the $4 a month thing even does. You say that it lets the stranger know the card without you doing anything, but what does that mean?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
The monthly charge lets you use stooges or live accomplices over the phone, and enables covert texting to them, from the app so they will know your card ahead of time
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2019, dooblehorn wrote:
The monthly charge lets you use stooges or live accomplices over the phone, and enables covert texting to them, from the app so they will know your card ahead of time

Thank you for jumping in on this! It's appreciated. Also, the subscription sends the text message with the name of the card, but the app still allows you to call your stooge or live accomplice without the need for the texting subscription.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Does the input method require any memory at all?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2019, paperinick wrote:
Does the input method require any memory at all?

Not at all!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jonathan - I sent you a message via FB messenger Smile

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/