The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
217 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Awesome!!!! Works great on Android. Having a blast with it so far. Thanks so much Jonathan!!!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, MikeOB wrote:
Awesome!!!! Works great on Android. Having a blast with it so far. Thanks so much Jonathan!!!

Wonderful! So glad to hear it!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Just did this for one of my toughest audiences, the inlaws. They're savvy and obviously know a lot about what I do.

This floored them. More than them just being fooled, my toughest critic, my mother in law (she's one of those that doesn't like being fooled) loved it and completely enjoyed it

Yep. It's a winner all around.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Just did this for one of my toughest audiences, the inlaws. They're savvy and obviously know a lot about what I do.

This floored them. More than them just being fooled, my toughest critic, my mother in law (she's one of those that doesn't like being fooled) loved it and completely enjoyed it

Yep. It's a winner all around.

I love hearing this!
SharkTrager442
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
Hey, I'm in the UK and thinking of purchasing. Can anyone tell me if any of the 'content' is with English accents. I don't mind calling a US number and hearing Americans but if I call a UK number will I hear English voices on VM and recordings?

Thanks!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Yes. There are recordings for the UK.
SharkTrager442
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
Thanks Jonathan, just to confirm, these English accents are available on Android?

Also, as a voice over actor, can I volunteer to use my voice for further English accent recordings?
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Yep...on android too. And thanks for the offer to help! That’s wonderful!
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
Due to the Covid pandemic, I alaso haven't yet been able to use my Android version of The Stranger in performance. Nonetheless I want to give a shout-out to Jonathan for the meticulous thought that went into every aspect of this extraordinary effect, including the intuitive phone interface (and simulation), the AI, the convincers, the routining, etc. It's all brilliantly done and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
I am on IOS and I love the look of this but I have a few problems with it. I would get this if it were not so expensive. I already have diverter which I like because it is a real call that shows up in the call history. Other than the fact that there are recordings for the card reveals I don't understand what the differences are aside from the recordings. It seems like for the stranger the rest of the app is useless unless you pay the $4 a month. Is that correct?
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On May 20, 2020, Melies wrote:
Due to the Covid pandemic, I alaso haven't yet been able to use my Android version of The Stranger in performance. Nonetheless I want to give a shout-out to Jonathan for the meticulous thought that went into every aspect of this extraordinary effect, including the intuitive phone interface (and simulation), the AI, the convincers, the routining, etc. It's all brilliantly done and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thank you! I appreciate this. It's been a wonderful journey and it is hasn't slowed down. Lots of new stuff coming. I'm having a blast and so glad that the community has embraced it as well!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On May 22, 2020, cardistry master wrote:
I am on IOS and I love the look of this but I have a few problems with it. I would get this if it were not so expensive. I already have diverter which I like because it is a real call that shows up in the call history. Other than the fact that there are recordings for the card reveals I don't understand what the differences are aside from the recordings. It seems like for the stranger the rest of the app is useless unless you pay the $4 a month. Is that correct?

The recordings/conversations make this something you can do anywhere, at anytime. And, they absolutely fool the audience. I know many performers who are ending their shows with the recordings. Aside from this, if calling a live stranger, you do not need the subscription you are mentioning. The subscription does streamline the process, but is not required. In addition, on iOS (and coming to Android), you can now call a live stranger and have them reveal anything (a word from a booktest, a number, names, a serial number on a bill...anything). The subscription is needed for that function.

Ultimately, there is quite a bit the app does for you.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Ok. The recordings seem like a great feature but with a real person without the subscription you can't do the other revelations or anything especially the wikitest. So to really use it you do need the feature.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On May 22, 2020, cardistry master wrote:
Ok. The recordings seem like a great feature but with a real person without the subscription you can't do the other revelations or anything especially the wikitest. So to really use it you do need the feature.

Without the subscription, you can still call a live person. The subscription secretly transmits the information to the Stranger, without the need to force or code anything. But, again, it is not required to have the subscription.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

To use anything outside of a card reveal it is.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
You do not need to pay a subscription to have anything revealed by 'a stranger'(a word from a booktest, a number, names, a serial number on a bill...anything).

This has always been achievable since Apple implemented the ability to use NFC. You only need tagged cards etc which contain the relevant information, and then create a shortcut from within the iPhone that will automatically send that information in an SMS or email etc. Couple that action with having any phone number that is entered into your phone by the spectator diverted to your confederate's phone and you can have your confederate reveal that information. I don't understand why people are being asked to pay a subscription for this.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, rasp wrote:
You do not need to pay a subscription to have anything revealed by 'a stranger'(a word from a booktest, a number, names, a serial number on a bill...anything).

This has always been achievable since Apple implemented the ability to use NFC. You only need tagged cards etc which contain the relevant information, and then create a shortcut from within the iPhone that will automatically send that information in an SMS or email etc. Couple that action with having any phone number that is entered into your phone by the spectator diverted to your confederate's phone and you can have your confederate reveal that information I don't understand why people are being asked to pay a subscription for this.

Using NFC is also pretty cool. I have a way that automatically sends a text that I use for diverter but would also work for this and if you are interested please message me.
halestorm
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
64 Posts

Profile of halestorm
Oh boy! I finally got to perform The Stranger for the first time tonight... so fun! so incredible!

We had someone over tonight for dinner. I pretty much no longer perform magic at home. My wife & daughter would indulge me if I asked but they've seen it all. They're never thrilled. But our guest was interested in seeing something. I didn't think I had carte blanche for any real "show" but I didn't want to do only The Stranger, in case she wanted to see something else... I wanted TS to be the last thing. So I first performed a torn corner-vanish-appear (the mystery object given to the spectator at the start, before the card selection, turns out to be exactly the corner torn from the card that someone else selected). They all liked that. So I say, let's try something crazy. As magical as that was, you're probably thinking I must be involved somehow. (agreement). Let's get someone totally random involved... (slight confusion as to what's going to come next)

That's the intro. So no one could believe at first that I was really going to do it, but they all got into it. Each person got to enter their 3, then 2, then 2 digits directly onto my phone. Disconnected. Yeah, well what'd you expect from a random number? There were some chuckles like, what'd you expect?

Try again. Ring.. ring.. ring.. That's promising. As soon as a pizza joint answered, everyone's eyes got wide (including mine). No way! We found a pizza place?! While we're on hold I say, "should we do this?" Oh man, Jonathan, you made it too easy. But what happened next, I couldn't believe it; when the guy came back on and I told him what we were doing, my (non-family) SPECTATOR, without any prompting or suggestion on my part, started talking to the pizza guy! They TOTALLY bought in to it. It was SO good! And then the guy named her card! And my little audience, 2/3 of which don't even usually feign to give me a polite reaction, went wild.

My wife told me three different times tonight, "that was some really good stuff you did tonight" and once, "I didn't realize you were that good." (Like I said, they never see me perform any more.) She said, "I mean, I might have an idea about the card, but that phone thing ... I have NO idea how that's even possible."
David Hale
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Hands down, The Stranger is the Magic app that gets the best reactions of all the magic apps that I own.

Nobody else buy it, I want this all for myself. Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Psy
Im still waiting for the feature that allows you to create your own recordings :/