The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..21~22~23 [Next]
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Oh, I disagree. It’s a ‘random’ number. I think the right person will be totally game for it in the hands of the right performer.
I concur that much of it is down to acting on the part of the performer, and most certainly the ‘stranger’. Context is everything. But I do still feel that the solution is the one people will (correctly) guess at. Then again, I could be wrong.
It's all in the reflexes.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
In the context of this routine it is perfectly plausible to use the specs phone. Makes sense.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Looks good. Disappointed that the lead-up emails to this did not mention (although maybe I missed it) it's only for iPhone when registering for the launch video/pre-register opportunity.

Fantastic though. Yet another reason I just need to dump Android, ha!

Apologies for the confusion there! Android is in the works!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, SleepyMagic wrote:
I didn't like the look of this until I watched the performance and saw that only the spectator talks to the stranger and not the magician! This looks amazing!

It's a shame I live in the UK and thus only works in North America

I have limited this app to North America. The reason for this is that there are some differences for users outside of the U.S. I am planning to make this available to international users by end of this week, with the offer to give you a full explanation on the differences so you can be absolutely informed before making your purchasing decision. Also, the next major update (free) will have international features to accommodate users outside of the U.S. If you would like to discuss, please feel free to PM me. Thank you! You can also reach me at thestranger@jonathanlevit.com
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, sebbyg wrote:
I'm concerned that there is an additional "subscription fee" mentioned in the listing on the App Store but not in the trick ad copy.
Perhaps Mr. Levit can explain whether this subscription is needed to achieve the effects as performed in the video demos. Is it possible to turn this subscription on or off?

Thanks for the question. The subscription is NOT necessary to perform the effect. This monthly subscription (you can cancel at any time and the first month is free for you to try) will communicate the selected card to the stranger without you having to do anything. If you are not using this feature, you can still call a live person and either use a code to communicate the card, or use a forced card. You can also interact with one of several recordings in the app that sound like real phone calls. The recordings will reveal any card selected or named.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, magicmind wrote:
I bought a card/mental thing years ago from Lee Earl. These tricks are only going to last as long as they keep up with iOS updates(compliance) and their servers if this is what I think it is.

You are right! It's important for these apps to stay up to date with the operating system. I'm fully committed to continuing development with this. I've already begun work on the next several updates!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Psy wrote:
A couple of questions:
1. Does it work only in specific countries or languages
2. As a mentalist, I don't use cards. Can I use words or numbers instead of cards?

Hello! For the questions about other countries, please see a response later in this thread.
As for the question about cards vs. numbers, the app is currently set up to use a card. The phone calls that are recordings in the app (that you interact with as the magician) will reveal the selected card. If calling a real person (your stranger), you can have them reveal anything you like.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1064 Posts

Profile of sbays
This is easily one of the best things to have come out in a long time. There are some great things built into this. I love it.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, sbays wrote:
This is easily one of the best things to have come out in a long time. There are some great things built into this. I love it.

Thank you!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
And while this is obviously very cool, let's just be honest, I'm mostly excited that you got to work with Fox Mulder. Ummm... Awesome!
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
And while this is obviously very cool, let's just be honest, I'm mostly excited that you got to work with Fox Mulder. Ummm... Awesome!

I'll be honest too....that WAS cool! A highlight for me, for sure!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I purchased with conjurer community sale price which may be available to everyone. As you can see Jonathan has been coming on here to answer all questions about the app so you pretty much know what you are getting. There are a few subtleties in the settings for the app which help it to seem even more natural. As you can see from the live performances Jonathan has a friendly performing style which goes a long way to selling an effect like this. I don’t think I could “fool” friends and acquaintances with this trick they way I did with say WikiTest which to me is still the best technology trick you can buy. Perhaps I will try it with a friendly “stranger” at one of my few professional gigs. YMMV
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Xcath1 wrote:
I purchased with conjurer community sale price which may be available to everyone. As you can see Jonathan has been coming on here to answer all questions about the app so you pretty much know what you are getting. There are a few subtleties in the settings for the app which help it to seem even more natural. As you can see from the live performances Jonathan has a friendly performing style which goes a long way to selling an effect like this. I don’t think I could “fool” friends and acquaintances with this trick they way I did with say WikiTest which to me is still the best technology trick you can buy. Perhaps I will try it with a friendly “stranger” at one of my few professional gigs. YMMV

Thanks for this! I appreciate what you are saying about performing this in a way that will fool anyone. Keep this in mind, if you are using the recordings, with very little practice, you will learn the interaction with the stranger. You can practice inside the app and you can print the scripts so you can follow along. And I've edited these recordings so the interaction happens at exact moments, in sync with the timer that is on screen for the call. So you are being cued right on screen! And, once you get more comfortable, you can even secretly pause and play the recording as you like during performance. They really are super simple to interact with and they will absolutely fool people. If you choose to use the option of calling a live person, remember, that if you are using the texting feature, the stranger will know the card without you having to do anything. At that point, all you need to do is have a REAL conversation with someone. Imagine you don't know them and ask them to think of and name a card. I have full confidence you can pull this off!
RichOrvec
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RichOrvec
Is is possible to make my own recording? For example, if I say wanted to reveal a word that I forced, could I make my own recording with my own “script” for the voice of the spectator?
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
One last question ...

Does the app make a real phone call when you use the voicemail option or is it faking a phone call?

Thank you,
Greg
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Greg Rostami wrote:
One last question ...

Does the app make a real phone call when you use the voicemail option or is it faking a phone call?

Thank you,
Greg

You can use the voicemail option for either a fake phone call or a real phone call.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I’m definitely thinking about picking this up. ( I buy way too much magic ) But I’ll wait for a couple more reviews to come in.
What a great combination of ideas that were put into this.

On an off note, I do have a prediction.
I can see Inject 5.0 adding a feature that allows you to have a 24/7 live accomplice using FaceTime to name any celebrity/place/food/nameDOB or anything you want for only 4.99 a month. Or .99 cents per FaceTime call.
I would have to purchase Inject then.
jlevit
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of jlevit
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
I’m definitely thinking about picking this up. ( I buy way too much magic ) But I’ll wait for a couple more reviews to come in.
What a great combination of ideas that were put into this.

On an off note, I do have a prediction.
I can see Inject 5.0 adding a feature that allows you to have a 24/7 live accomplice using FaceTime to name any celebrity/place/food/nameDOB or anything you want for only 4.99 a month. Or .99 cents per FaceTime call.
I would have to purchase Inject then.

Awesome. Sounds great.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
By the way, I think there is one more day to buy this at $30 off, then the price goes up.

https://conjuror.community/the-stranger/

There was a pre-release webinar about this effect last night. Before it was finished I immediately bought it. I've not had much time to play with this, but I will tell you Jonathan was extremely thorough with the details and features of this effect and the instructions. Totally worth the price right at this time. Its just awesome.
The one thing, if I may be honest, I don't like in-app purchases with recurring fees, so I will never, ever use that feature. It's a real shame, because the feature you have to pay a subscription for is unfortunately one of the best and most useful routines. Oh, well. There are still a lot of other very cool routines you can do with this. And no, I don't think the specs will necessarily figure this out, especially if you practice your acting skills.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Now I gotta hope there a discount for the Android version pre-release should I decide to purchase. *Ahem* Smile one can hope anyway...