The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPealing or APPalling? :: The Stranger (iPhone App) by Jonathan Levit (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..7..10..13..16..19..21~22~23 [Next]
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
755 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Looks good. Disappointed that the lead-up emails to this did not mention (although maybe I missed it) it's only for iPhone when registering for the launch video/pre-register opportunity.

Fantastic though. Yet another reason I just need to dump Android, ha!
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I didn't like the look of this until I watched the performance and saw that only the spectator talks to the stranger and not the magician! This looks amazing!

It's a shame I live in the UK and thus only works in North America
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1753 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I don’t really understand this.

So is this a prerecorded voice/FaceTime? Or is this an app that cues an accomplice?

Madison
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Only available in US app store right now...
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, MadisonH wrote:

So is this a prerecorded voice/FaceTime? Or is this an app that cues an accomplice?

Madison

I'm not sure....what it is as if it was prerecorded how would the spectator speak to him/her ....and it says no accomplices in the trailer
curt
View Profile
New user
Rockville, MD
13 Posts

Profile of curt
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, MadisonH wrote:

It's both, really...

While no accomplice is required to get an amazing result, you may CHOOSE to use an accomplice for a (potentially) greater impact, or to tailor the effect the way you want.

I can't get over how good this is, and there are improvements on the way.
sebbyg
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Hill, NJ
119 Posts

Profile of sebbyg
I'm concerned that there is an additional "subscription fee" mentioned in the listing on the App Store but not in the trick ad copy.
Perhaps Mr. Levit can explain whether this subscription is needed to achieve the effects as performed in the video demos. Is it possible to turn this subscription on or off?
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
The subscription fee allows you to send a text message to your accomplice with the informational as you receive it. It is possible to disable this option. The cost for using this feature is charged directly to Mr. Levit every time anyone sends a text using the app. I believe the cost is $3.99 per month, with (at the moment) the first month free.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4544 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got this yesterday and have been going through the instructions.

This is such a solid release and the instructions include about 3 or so live performances in different settings.

There are a few easy preselects, there is a practice mode with pre recordings for practice. You can select whether you want a disconnected call first, a voicemail, and then the stranger or stooge picks up. You can choose, 1,2, or 3 of those to happen.

Instructions are clear. There are a community of people who want to be the stranger.

The text out feature as stated is 3.99 a month, the first month is free.

It’s simple and straight forward and a very strong and clear effect.

I will be using this.
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
I wanna be a stranger! Where do I sign?

I am a huge fan of apps and, this looks absolutely epic. I also know how much time, work and money would have gone into making this idea a reality. I eagerly await a European version. Really, this looks super fun and creepy.

On a negative note, I still cannot believe there are magicians out there who don't have iPhones! Everything will ALWAYS come to iphone first... and Android users are missing out big time on some of the awesome things happening. Technology is a huge genre of magic and is only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger.
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3255 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I bought a card/mental thing years ago from Lee Earl. These tricks are only going to last as long as they keep up with iOS updates(compliance) and their servers if this is what I think it is.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I give it a month before this is used by a magi on one of those US chat shows and exposed by the media the next day.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Psy
A couple of questions:
1. Does it work only in specific countries or languages
2. As a mentalist, I don't use cards. Can I use words or numbers instead of cards?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Psy wrote:
A couple of questions:
1. Does it work only in specific countries or languages
2. As a mentalist, I don't use cards. Can I use words or numbers instead of cards?

1. Stay tuned for The Stranger International Edition
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I don’t know about this. How could someone not come up with the method by “only way possible” reasoning
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Precisely, Xcath1. Straight line reasoning. It would be an entirely different thing if it was on the spectator’s phone. A simple random number force is stronger, in my opinion. No app required and the spec’s phone can be used to achieve the same effect.
It's all in the reflexes.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Congratulations on the new release.

I have a few questions.

1. To perform with a live human answering the call/facetime (like the trailer), do you need an accomplice or do you offer a service of accomplices that are available 24/7?

2. If an accomplice is not available, I'm guessing there are options in the app to have a voicemail or a text reply for the reveal of the card?

3. The magician must use his/her phone? Can a spectator dial the stranger from their phone?

Thank you very much for the clarification.
Greg Rostami
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
I don't think using the magician's phone is a problem. Is a spectator really going to want to call a random person on their mobile?

The strength of this will be that the screens look totally realistic and mimic exactly what it looks like to call a random number from an iphone. If it looks exactly real and plays seamless from start to finish then time will tell. And even if the spectator does assume it's a set up their mind will still be blown by the logistics of it and fail to understand how it was possible. Time will tell... but I think this concept is a killer in the magic.

And yes, please god, let's hope they ban all TV rights. Ten a penny TV magicians have been truly killing our art recently. I find it quite sickening how anyone can actually go on TV and want to perform someone elses trick... with permission or not. Especially commercial off the shelf tricks.... I wish creators started to put their foot down more and wannabe TV magicians started doing their own original creations. Nobody is going to be able to perform double cross again now that's for sure!
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2019, Illucifer wrote:
Precisely, Xcath1. Straight line reasoning. It would be an entirely different thing if it was on the spectator’s phone. A simple random number force is stronger, in my opinion. No app required and the spec’s phone can be used to achieve the same effect.

Specs are not going to phone random psychotic axe wielding nutters on their own phone now are they? Jeez.