The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Professors nightmare to one rope ending. CLEAN (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Frankly, there is not a cleaner Prof. NIghtmare to one rope ending. LIke mine. No special hidden joints, etc. just show the WHOLE D. rope as one. do a switch and do c n r. But maybe the switch, which flies over the spectators' heads completely, is too good for magicians.

Pavel rocked. Kudos to his magic. This is a good application of his genius. Thanks Pavel. You rock.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Frankly, there is not a cleaner Prof. NIghtmare to one rope ending. LIke mine. No special hidden joints, etc. just show the WHOLE D. rope as one. do a switch and do c n r. But maybe the switch, which flies over the spectators' heads completely, is too good for magicians.

Pavel rocked. Kudos to his magic. This is a good application of his genius. Thanks Pavel. You rock.

Sent you a PM - please read your messages
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
So once again, I found this to be the premier Prof's Assistant's nightmare. Because a lady who was watching concluded that she knew the Prof's nightmare portion.
She is a sharp cookie. I could not have done the other "famous" versions and have gotten away with holding pieces together, etc. But I ended suddenly with one rope,
showing it cleanly. And she gave up and it blew her mind. Showing again, Pavel's methods were the greatest. LIke it or not, he rocked and still rocks. through those of us in the know.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Pavel still rocks . RIP my brother in magic . you never got the credit you deserved . But you are now.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi countrymaven, I notice that it's nearly a year since this thread started... I'm sorry if this will not be the news you were hoping to hear, but the effect you describe has been out for a quite while and from a previous post of yours I'm guessing that the method you have in mind is likely to be the same the already marketed, 'Professor's Dream'.

I bought a set years ago and tried it out in my stage show in place of regular ropes but I found the kicker of the 3 ropes turning into one was a real anticlimax that surprisingly didn't work for me. The kicker ending meant nothing to my audiences so I soon ditched it and went back to using regular ropes. I'm sure others would have a different experience though as it seems to be a good strong magical ending

You can see it being demo'd here. If you thought it added something you could have the ropes handed out at the start of the routine to three separate audience members and they would appear to be pretty much normal ropes.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
"The kicker ending meant nothing to my audiences"

Curious. How do you know this? What occurred or did not occur that fostered this belief?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
There is also this version, called "3 to 1 Rope PRO" . Available from Tom Ladshaw Magic -

https://tomladshawmagic.com/parlor-platf......rope-pro

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2020, funsway wrote:

How do you know this? What occurred or did not occur that fostered this belief?

It was a number of things but the biggest clue was the raucous laughter, joyfully animated expressions, deafening applause and enthusiastic cheering. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Pat Conway's method - ungimmicked ropes. It's in the book, A Pat Way To Con.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2020, Sealegs wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2020, funsway wrote:

How do you know this? What occurred or did not occur that fostered this belief?

It was a number of things but the biggest clue was the raucous laughter, joyfully animated expressions, deafening applause and enthusiastic cheering. Smile

I was being serious. Sometimes silence can be an indication of "must be magic" more than those responses.. I guess it's a matter of what you are striving for.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I'll remain very satisfied with my no gaff version, "The Ultimate Nightmare", which has carried me around the globe. Of course only a few dozen copies were ever published back in the 80's. Just as well!
Ray Pierce
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
When people see the Prof Nightmare, I think the first thing they think is "There must be something fishy about those ropes." The original version can be, and needs to be examined. The ones that work with magnets or other trickery and the ropes can never be examined are just for other magicians, and nowhere near as amazing for lay people as the original. I especially think that a restoration that occurs without the ropes being examined at some point simply makes people wonder "what is tricky about" those ropes.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:
When people see the Prof Nightmare, I think the first thing they think is "There must be something fishy about those ropes." The original version can be, and needs to be examined. The ones that work with magnets or other trickery and the ropes can never be examined are just for other magicians, and nowhere near as amazing for lay people as the original. I especially think that a restoration that occurs without the ropes being examined at some point simply makes people wonder "what is tricky about" those ropes.

agreed, and perhaps any presentation that reveals the short piece is an error ( as in removing the ends)

How do you feel about having the ropes cut "on the fly" from an originally handled length? Perhaps restored to length at the end, or not?

or, ending with three equal lengths used in linking ropes and handled by the spectators?

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2020, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:

agreed, and perhaps any presentation that reveals the short piece is an error ( as in removing the ends)

How do you feel about having the ropes cut "on the fly" from an originally handled length? Perhaps restored to length at the end, or not?

or, ending with three equal lengths used in linking ropes and handled by the spectators?

I think that is fine:

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, DrVG wrote:
Hello gentlemen, I would like to seek your advice regarding the most convincing false count for 3 'similar' ropes ?

Also from your experience, is it better to start with 3 equal length or 3 different sizes ?

thanks

I think you should include the option of starting with single length and cutting it into three pieces "on the fly."
Could be three pieces of apparent/actual same length or three apparent/actually of different lengths.

MagicIan and I had several discussion of having a spectator cut the rope and "accidentally" mess it up,
or apparently cut it into equal pieces but actually the proper lengths for PN.

We never decided on best method - alas, he passed too soon.

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I was careful to credit Pavel. The professor's dream ropes, from what I saw online are poorly made. You can see the gimmick very easily.I had to carefully make mine. I could never sell these. They take too long to make. But they last a lifetime and I can do this close up. NO problems. You can't buy this quality of ropes that I know of anywhere.
I let the audience handle my ropes initially, then do the Prof. Nightmare, then I go straight into a very clean cut and restored rope, which they can examine. It could be the routining because when I make them one, I never fail to get gasps.
Going into a cut and restored rope with a spectator and letting the audience examine or keep the rope cleanly at the end only makes it stronger. Yes there is some trickery involved in this part of the routine. But it has not been suspected so far.
But you do have to do what works for you.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Ray and Alan I am familiar with the ungimmicked methods you use. They are not all that... all that clean. Just rope puzzles. why not make a clean open no joints, one rope restoration. Then go on and hand it out and give it to the audience?
The commercial versions given, are as I noted, fairly junky. It would be better yet just to do an uncomfortable and quick and hectic "ungimmicked quickie version."

But if these work for you, God bless you. I just keep going until what I do gets gasps and I am accused of being a sorcerer, etc. I am not content to entertain or to fool, like puzzles do as well.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
A lay person needed a length of rope would never cut it up in the first place,
or on finding three pieces would little care if they were equal or not, i.e. if you want to form one long rope, what does it matter the length of the pieces?

So, the entire premise of PN is either to entertain or to prove that the performer has special skills - magical or not.
Trying to present a logical reason for the goings-on is difficult and probably futile.
Some will think "gimmick" no matter what you do, while others might think "sorcerer."

For me, ending with one rope only makes sense if you start with one rope.

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes , fun, I start with one rope. But I didn't want to reveal it. BUt you got me.
It is like a noodle. Why go to three if you don't start with one? Spaghetti noodle logic.
1 to three, three to same, then to one. wow. karma has rewarded the ropes.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, DrVG wrote:
Hello gentlemen, I would like to seek your advice regarding the most convincing false count for 3 'similar' ropes ?

Also from your experience, is it better to start with 3 equal length or 3 different sizes ?

thanks

I highly recommend that more than one count be used to show the ropes all the same size and completely separate. In my routine I use the commonly known display count, and also the extremely natural and deceptive "Alberti Count" by Gene Alberti.