The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Coin in bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Wondering about this. Anyone have any info about the history and originator of this effect?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hoffmann's book "More Magic" has the familiar coin gaff method detailed.
He elaborates to use a hollow cork so the performer does not need to grip the bottle in some odd way.
He also mentions using a hollow wand to introduce the gaff. Not bad.
He suggests breaking the bottle to recover the borrowed coin - which may have been less of a fuss back then than it is today.

The modern version using Dave Williamson's Striking Vanish ... well maybe he can provide additional historical provenance.

David Roth published an approach the the effect (well two if you include the funnel trick) where you have more options in terms of what the effect is "really". Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, Jon. I had no idea it went back so far and already so sophisticated. And I assume that Hoffman's books were basically full of already well-established effects.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As a teenager, my first experience with the Coin in Bottle was at the local magic shop. I seen it in the glass case for a while, and finally purchased it after the owner showed me the effect. It was a whopping $2, that was expensive when wages were only a $1 an hour. I never really performed it for people because it was a fake coin, half dollar size or larger. It had a devil stamped on the face of the coin. This was around the late 1960's. Gimmicked real coins were not made at that time to my knowledge. I believe the coin was wholesaled through Edward O. Drain company out of Chicago. The coin was stamped out of some gray metal, as the edge of the coin was dark gray. A silver shiny material made was pressed onto the surface to make look more like a coin. Coin edge was smooth, no groves. IT did not come with a matching coin, as I remember.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The coins were also sold by Adams Magic, the figure being Mephisto. The "Mystic Coins" trick used those too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
One of the greatest tricks in magic. I love doing it.