The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Pacioli's De viribus guantitatus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Hi all,

I posted this elsewhere but I will repeat it here.

Back ca. 1500 Luca Pacioli (Leonardo da Vinci's best friend)wrote a book called De viribus quantitatus, or On the Power of Numbers. In 2007 an announcement was made that it had been translated into English. However, I have been unable to find any trace of the book on World.Cat or the Internet besides the announcement, which did not include the title, editor, or translator.

Does anyone know anything about this volume?

Thanks,

HLT
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Note: I posted this same item on the Turn of the Page section.

I have ascertained that it was translated into English by Lori Pieper in 2007. Unfortunately it is apparently unpublished as it is listed as a "draft" at the Conjuration Arts Research Center.

A commentary on Pacioli is at http://repositorio.ul.pt/bitstream/10451/18435/1/ulfc113829_tm_Tiago_Hirth.pdf.

The great news is that it is comprehensive. But unfortunately it is only a commentary, and the 46 mathematical magic tricks are explained in terms only mathematicians can understand, ie. complex algebraic equations. The good news is that there are a few of these tricks in Prevost which are easily figured out.

HLT