The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: What do you do with all of your magic Instructions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Bill, you are so right. I am at the age now where I am working with my wife to simplify our lives as we grow closer to retirement. I have quite a few collections including some coins, stamps, comics, toys, and even knives...none of which need any further documentation to enable them to be sold. My magic collection...like everyone's...is different. Without instructions or in some cases provenance or COA's (certificate of authenticity), the value of the prop can be greatly reduced. And you are spot on regarding hoping our families will know how to connect the dots.

Much of my magic is stored in its original packaging with the instructions included. For my older props, which is the majority of my collection, I've organized my instructions in file boxes, in acid free sleeves. They are filed alphabetically by effect title...and Bill is so correct. This system means absolutely zero to anyone not familiar with vintage magic props. I may as well have invented my own language and filed the props using Ozish, my new language that no one will ever be able to understand.

So, I'm thinking I need to numerically pair my instructions with my loose props. I can use small stickers that affix to the back of each prop, and link to instructions labeled with the same number. Simple. And the instructions will stored alphabetically by trick name, but the number of where they are ordered in the file, will be recorded on the back of the prop.

Of course, I realize this plan is based on my current collection, and not taking into concern future purchases which will disrupt the order. So, I'm thinking I may need a sub-category besides the instruction number, e.g. Item 53A.

I'm just riffing here, as I find myself looking at my magic room, which quite literally looks like Dumbledore's office, and wondering how the heck I'm going to have my family make any sense of it? Working that out will be truly magical.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I keep an inventory of all my magic props, gimmicks, DVDS, instructions in a database I wrote using FileMaker Pro.
FMP is cross platform and can be used in both Windows and Macs. I customized it just for my magic collection.
I also use another for my home videos going back to 1979. 80 VHS, 45 - 8 mm tapes and many digital files.

The magic database is an inventory of almost all my stuff and where it is being stored. I have 18 different bins and cases and boxes.
Each item includes which binder the instructions are in or the file path if it’s on a computer or location of DVD.
Also, date of purchase, price, seller, my proficiency with the trick, children or adult, category such as card, silk, levitation, etc.
I store this database on my Mac. But my IPad gets updated automatically when changes or additions are made.
If I make a substantial amount of changes I print it out. Also each box or bin has a printout taped to the outside listing what is in that box.
It’s a lot of time to do this but it works for me.
Besides, I’m retired and have the time..
Ihor
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I have a shoebox.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
For the ones that will fit, I put them into a binder with clear sheet pages. It's a great way to keep them in good condition and easily accessible.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have several three-ring 3" binders with instructions in clear protectors. I should have segregated them into various types of effects -- and some are in special show books with instructions in performance order. I continues tis while I had a working copier so I have some dupes for individual shows.

Some instructions have been removed from the binders and put in file boxes ready for sale (if there are instructions) escpecially close-up.

Years ago I used to save everything into a hard drive file -- but the disk went kaput. Thank goodness I have a good memory, except for the exact titles, instructions yes, titles no.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Hard Copies usually go into a binder BUT since I am stuck at home for now I started scanning them and putting them on memory sticks, I am doing them by categories like utilities, gimmicks, type of effect, etc.. I am making two copies as a backup in case one of the sticks should fail
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Looks like the page 2 members did not read the page 1 posts. Oh Well, the old saying, "You Can Lead A Horse To Water, But You Can't Make Him Drink"; comes to mind.

Change all your Computer and Back Up mechanical hard drives to SSD drives (Solid State Drives). It is proven that they will outlast any mechanical drive for less money per drive.
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I started collecting in the late 1970s. Back then I simply punched holes in whatever instructions there were and put them in report covers.... about 30 to a cover. Of course the instructions for some effects did not lend themselves to having holes punched in them and I simple put them shoeboxes (e.g., booklets... Doug Henning's Twilight effect comes to mind, the instructions were a nice little book). Simplistic I know, but that's what I did way back when... and low and behold, 50 years later, I still have report folders... although the shoebox stuff has been transferred to plastic boxes with snap on lids. And all of it in plastic tubs when not in use. After reading all of the above I think I will attempt to re-marry effects with instructions, which might require more recollection the I can muster. Lots of the old stuff has been untouched for too many years to count.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I have no instructions for any effect I use-they all are in the bin after I have got the basics right, then I create my own routines through live performance.
Been doing this since I was a young lad. waste of time & space for me but if you enjoy that sort of thing then that's great as well.

I have a written record of my specific routines that Ive created and perform in my act, I don't need or keep originals etc.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2019, Wiza

...So, I'm thinking I need to numerically pair my instructions with my loose props. I can use small stickers that affix to the back of each prop, and link to instructions labeled with the same number. Simple. And the instructions will stored alphabetically by trick name, but the number of where they are ordered in the file, will be recorded on the back of the prop...

This is the simple method we have used for decades; it works! (Of course, there's a separate written listing of all the numbers/locations complete with miscellaneous comments where required.)

Julie
waynet
View Profile
New user
Central Valley, California
63 Posts

Profile of waynet
I use Evernote:
Name of the trick
Photo of the prop(s)
Scanned copy of the Instructions
This gives me a searchable reference that can also be organized by category and tags to find things easily.

Physical Copies of the instructions go into a box in case they need to go with the prop to a future owner.
Balthasar
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
18 Posts

Profile of Balthasar
I work as ICT-er, so I run a Synology NAS (network attached system ) from my home.
That is a 4 bay 32 TB server which runs backups so another location.
The benefits are, that I can always have acces to my files. ( on my tv, pc, phone, or someone else his tv it makes no difference )

Written instructions, I change to .pdf
instructions by movie I download it, and put them on the nas.
Something's on youtube I download and again on my nas.

All is ordered by category and easily findable and accessible
life is like a box of chocolates
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
At a live Paul Daniel Lecture , Paul mentioned the first thing he does is throw away the instructions on any effect he buys or bought as a younger performer,
That way you work the effect for yourself and create an entirely original routine which in my case is exactly what Ive also done for over 25 years. As a Professional Corporate Entertainer All my instructions went straight into the Bin for every effect Ive ever bought, most effects you have seen so know the routine you just put your touch to it all..
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I keep all of my printed instructions in a large, indexed, alphabetized 3-ring binder. Nowadays, more and more instructions are available as videos and not printed.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I usually lose them as quickly as possible and them beg people on the internet to send me digital copies of them after I realize I can't do the tricks without them.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
If it's a worker, instructions for the most part is useless and are discarded. Those "other" effects trying to make the roster reside in ziploc bags (Thanks Billy McComb). If the effect doesn't make the cut, then it's off to the Magic swap circuit. Having the instructions and all the parts help maintain value.
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
I have them just tossed in a drawer. But after reading this post, I need to change how I store them.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
If they’re printed on 8.5”x11” sheets of paper, then I three-hole-punch ‘em, and throw ‘em into a three-ring binder.

If they’re smaller than that, then I tape ‘em onto a sheet of three-hole-punched paper, and in they go.

Quite often, however, I completely re-write them and print them out myself before notebooking them. I strive to make them no more than one page long, and to make them not just concise but also clear enough for easy re-learning. (If I don’t perform an effect for a long time, I forget how it goes, along with all the subtleties and nuances the original instructions may not have mentioned, so I try to “improve” my written directions to best suit my own needs, quirks and uses.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836