The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Jan Forster book (68 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
heliz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of heliz
Me too!!!
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Well Jan, you must at least feel well loved!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes ... Smile ...
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3268 Posts

Profile of 252life
Screw it, I'm learning German! Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Chat GPT will help with the translation Smile

(good even if I prefer the Deutsche Qualität with deepl) Smile
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Didn't realize that ChatGPT could help with translation. I've been resisting getting involved with it, but I may have to now. I'm wondering if the free version is any good, or will I need to spring for the paid version right away? Any advice would be appreciated--thanks in advance.

PS - Years ago when fresh out of school, I could make my way with simple conversational German. Hopefully that skill might get rekindled with a little boost from AI???
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Dreda
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Dreda
The paid version allows you to add up to 100 pages whereas the free version is limited in the number of characters...
I only try the free version.
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
I am excited for this release in English. Hoping for an update if any.

Also wanted to ask, you have a couple DVDs in German. Any chance of those having a translation in English added to them?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2023, Louis Gordon wrote:
I am excited for this release in English. Hoping for an update if any.

Also wanted to ask, you have a couple DVDs in German. Any chance of those having a translation in English added to them?

Good idea, considering it now! Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Excellent idea!
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Not a book but I’m very excited that Jan is touring the uk next year:)

Maybe the book will be able to be bought at the lectures?
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2023, Pixelated wrote:
Not a book but I’m very excited that Jan is touring the uk next year:)

Maybe the book will be able to be bought at the lectures?

Any dates or venues yet, is Jan doing any lectures for performers?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2023, 252life wrote:
Screw it, I'm learning German! Smile

Good luck with that. I started learning German a few years ago and it's not easy for an English-speaking person. The pronunciation takes a lot of work and they have sounds not present in the English language - such as "ich". The sentence structure is also entirely different. It's doable, but you'd better be prepared to devote a lot of time.

Give you a little tip: any words that contain "ie" or "ei" (and there are LOTS of these) are pronounced with emphasis on the second letter - "ei" is "i" sounding, "ie" is "ee" sounding.

Rennt um euer Leben, er hat eine Panzerfaust! Smile
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Sudo Nimh - Jawohl! Also "eu" is pronounced "oy" and "au" is pronounced "ow" as in "cow." Learning such things isn't easy, but as the old saying goes: "Arbeit macht das Leben suess."
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2023, Deckstacker wrote:
"Arbeit macht das Leben suess."

Indeed! And to add to that: Alles, was es wert ist, getan zu werden, ist es wert, gut getan zu werden. Smile

(I hope I got that right. I'm not so great with sentence structure still and that one's tricky.)
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Sudo Nimh - Considering your expressed philosophy of doing things well and my apparent positive attitude towards the "sweetness" of hard work, perhaps we should cast a joint spell and translate Jan's works into English for all to enjoy. Should be "Kinderspiel" for a pair of willing wizards like us, nicht wahr?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Perhaps. Smile

However, my knowledge of German is nowhere near good enough for such a task. I am *far* from proficient, and because I have no one I can speak it with, I forget portions and have to look up stuff regularly. I was told my verbal pronunciation is very good, however, I still struggle with some words. For example, "suess". I'm phonetically pronouncing it as "shoose" or "shuice", but I'm not sure if that's right. I would really love to reach a decent level of fluency. Why? No idea; I just love the language. Would be nice to visit Germany one day - I think it's a beautiful country, but highly improbable that'll ever happen.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
As a penniless, native English-speaking scholarship student at a small liberal arts college in the Midwest many years ago, I too loved German and greatly desired to attend the Middlebury College summer school in German but could not afford to do so. A knowledgeable and very persistent advisor helped me to apply for financial aid, and Middlebury--which already had a dishwasher for their German "Sommerschule" that year, as well as a relief dishwasher--created an "assistant relief dishwasher" position just for me so that I could pay for my tuition. That summer in Vermont, despite experiencing great difficulty overcoming crippling shyness and suffering extraction of an abscessed wisdom tooth while there, I eventually learned to speak enough German to win that year's award for "greatest improvement in the use of the target language."

Bottom line: It sounds as if you already have the requisite three M's for success (all of which are "Motivation"). I therefore make bold to say that nothing stands in the way of your eventual fluency in German except you yourself.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Well, I'll be 50 next year so I don't know that it's of much practical value anymore. All the German I've learned, I did so on my own with no formal education; as is with everything I've learned after dropping out of school and leaving home in grade 9. I used Pimsleur and other similar resources to learn.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
As suggested above, I've used ChatGPT on Jan's German material and have had great success with the translations. I'm a big "Jan Fan" so a few years ago purchased his Mentally Inspired #7 Series (Siebenmal Mental Angehaucht). When I purchased it, I decided I would use online translation software to hand type in each routine! Yeah, after a while I realized this was going to take a very very long time, so I stopped.

But when ChatGPT came along, it became so much easier. All I did was talk a picture on my iPhone of a full page. I then was able to highlight and select the text from the photo and paste it into ChatGPT with the prompt "Translate this from German to English", hit return, and 10 seconds later the English version text began to appear!!! Yes, there are a few times I need to modify the translation, but it's clear and accurate enough for me to get the general idea of it all. The first routine, HYPNO-ZAHLEN (HYPNO-NUMBERS), took a total of about a half hour to translate.

When Jan's material does come out in English, I'll still buy it because I'm sure there are subtleties "lost in translation", but in the meantime, I'm finding this to be a workable solution.