The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Pete Biro died this morning. (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
So sad to hear this. Pete was such a great guy and always a wealth of information. He will be missed and always respected.

RIP my friend.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
He always had such wonderful, insightful, and knowledgeable posts here in the Café. He’ll be greatly missed.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Speechless. Smile

I have truly lost another friend...

Doug
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Very sad. Enjoyed reading his posts. Once his Linking Rings book was released, I bought it immediately. A great book to add to your collection.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Sorry to hear that. Great guy. Corresponded with him and he was always helpful and positive. Loved his Genii column way back. He did professional photography for car magazines. World traveler and encyclopedic knowledge of magic.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I felt as if I knew him personally, just from his posts and pms in the Café. His history in magic goes way back; and he will be missed by many many folks in the worldwide magic community. RIP to a legend. Lynn
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
So sad to hear. What a kind and helpful man he was with all things magical.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
garymey
View Profile
New user
gary meyer
28 Posts

Profile of garymey
I first knew Pete at the Oakland Magic Circle. He had not been up for several years but always answered emails quickly and was filled with info on the Café. He was so much fun to watch do magic as you can on his website. http://pete-biro.com/tricks/
His books are invaluable and I think that Byron Walker has copies of most of them.https://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com/
The past year had been a tough one for Pete and the losses in the magic world have been difficult with Ricky Jay , Moi-Yo Miller, Harry Anderson, Scott Alcalay, and Wayne M. Rogers among others. May they all keep amazing each other some magical place we don;t know.'
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
So sad. He was one of the Wise Men here. Always generous with his advice. Will be missed. RIP

Fortasse
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I met Pete at the Castle. We had a scheduled dinner there as a group, then on to the shows.
Sorry to know he passed away.

RIP Pete!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I met Pete Biro at the IBM Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas, back in 1975. That was the year that Terry Seabrooke came to the US for the first time. I had just made the decision to go into magic full-time. I was very impressed by Pete's persenality and his willingness to be helpful. I ran into him several times after that, notably at the various incartnations of the Convention formerly known as the Desert Magic Seminar, and some of the IBM Conventions.

If it had not been for Pete Biro, there probably would never have been a Cups and Balls Museum. In 2003, when Ted Lesley was doing his lecture tour in the US, I was his driver, roadie and manager. I already had a modest cup collection, about 25 sets, but they were quite disorganized. We stopped at Stevens Magic Emporium in Wichita, KS, and I saw a Pete Biro Galli-Galli cup. Just one cup. I asked Joe Stevens about it, and he said that it was a Pete Biro product, but it was no longer available. However, he would see if there might be some way to get a set of them. He made a phone call to Pete. A week or so later, a set of these cups appeared at my house. Pete had sent them to me. I think they may have been the last set he had left from the first batch. Of course, later they were produced by RnT II.

When the cups and balls bug really bit me, I purchased many of the sets Pete put up on line. He gave me all sorts of info about the cups -- who made them, who performed with them, various sources of literature, and he also introduced me to a lot of people I would never have met.

Leter, he helped me get a chance to lecture at the Magic Castle, and also to get involved in the big Cups and Balls weekend at the World Magic Seminar. He and Bill Wells put that whole thing together. I was like a little kid in a fantastic toy factory with the people that made the toys do what they were supposed to do.

Pete knew everyone in the business, and he was willing to help other people learn how to do the things they wanted to do.

I'm very sorry he is gone. I'm very glad that he was my friend.

I will miss him. I'll think about him every time I pick up one of the cups that I got from him.

He was the brains behind a lot of things that many of us take for granted.

R.I.P. Pete!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
john magic wright
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Pete on numerous occasions at Dean Dill’s barbershop . A true brother in the magic world and one of the truth thinkers of magic. He made his contribution anytime you can create a trick for magicians like Fred Kaps you’re in another league .Will miss you Pete
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Good to see you, Bill.

Wishing you all the best for the new Year.

Sean
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of gallagher
What a terrible way to start a new year.

He was a real 'source'.
He shared some fine Juggling Moves(!), with me!

,..and such a good guy.
Always on 'the bright side'....

Such a sad,..terrible news.

,.....hopefully someone throws a roller-skate key,
in his coffin.
gallagher
vanp8
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vanp8
RIP Pete, you are missed.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Same to you, Sean!

Quote:
On Jan 2, 2019, fortasse wrote:
Good to see you, Bill.

Wishing you all the best for the new Year.

Sean
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I never had the opportunity to meet Pete, but I have grown to love his posts — always helpful and kind. I was shocked to read of his passing in Vanish Magazine.
The Wizarding World has lost one of it's greats.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
How sad to hear this news. Pete was a great guy, always very helpful and knowledgeable. He'll be missed.

I love reading the posts from people that knew him a long time. Thank you for sharing more stories that show what a great guy he was.

Rest in peace Pete.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Just seeing this now. sad. #RIPPeteBiro.

He sold me a vanishing bird cage several years ago with Al Koran's sheath.

He will be missed.

D
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Pete was an absolute delight. My wife and I met him at Dean Dills place as well. He will be missed.
Good magic to all,
Eric