The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Loaded Dice by Alan Wakeling (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I was browsing Hocus-Pocus's estate collection effects this morning and was pleased to see they were offering the Loaded Dice by Alan Wakeling. From what I've read, a limited number of the originals were made and are now collector's items. The item originally sold for $130 (as best I can tell) and Hocus-Pocus was asking significantly less than that. Condition was listed as MINT, complete with instructions, so I snatched it up.

I subsequently discovered that Collector's Workshop has started offering the effect again (not sure on how long ago). In Walnut:

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/load......-walnut/

In Rosewood:

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/load......isander/

Here is Chris Bent performing the effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWmLKazj1Go

Fun!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't get the effect, why would a box be used to show that the dice are loaded, wouldn't a simple roll of the dice accomplish this.

My opinion, this is not a very good effect, that is more confusing then entertaining.

Just how I see it. Although, I am not a collector of wood boxes to dust off every few days.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
It's my understanding that the dice are not loaded.

I'll keep it in a close-up case so it will remain dust free. Smile

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
BTW, yes, I'm a sucker for magic effects that use nicely made boxes. Smile

Loaded Dice arrived and I've been having fun with it. My wife is my only victim so far. Smile

Mark
malko64
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of malko64
Hello everybody, is there anybody want to sell his "loaded dice" ?
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't get the effect, why would a box be used to show that the dice are loaded...

Well if you're going to start looking for logic in magical patter I guess you're often going to find yourself very disappointed!

Actually I think this is a great trick, maybe it's more of a puzzle than a big mystery and perhaps it lacks a climax, but even so it's visually appealing.

Years ago I used to do a trick called dice climax (or something like that!) from Dai Vernon's Book of Magic, he recommended using it as a follow on to dice stacking, but it seems to me you could use Vernon's routine as a follow on from this trick and then you'd have your climax (with the production of a giant die) and it would make for an entertaining interlude.

Just a thought.
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
I too am a sucker for box effects and I have the loaded dice. I love the quality of this piece, now granted this is not a show stopper but it is a fun little effect and after you learn it you can make numerous routines of your own. There is a place for this effect at the right time and place.
I don't understand all I know about this
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Shoot me a message — I have a set I no longer use.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
This is a main staple in my close-up repertoire in addition to classic dice stacking and the Dr. Sacks derivative “It’s the Rules!” by Bob Sheets. In my presentation, I explain to the audience that it isn’t the box nor the cup that they need to watch; it’s the guy. Comes very highly recommended.
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2021, rmendez wrote:
This is a main staple in my close-up repertoire in addition to classic dice stacking and the Dr. Sacks derivative “It’s the Rules!” by Bob Sheets. In my presentation, I explain to the audience that it isn’t the box nor the cup that they need to watch; it’s the guy. Comes very highly recommended.

I agree this is an excellent effect, nicely made and totally examinable!

What more can we ask for?
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
And now we have Kirin Dice, by TCC, on this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/108......cription
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Is that TCC offering the same exact thing as the Wakeling Loaded Dice made by Viking?

In essence, different materials but the same kind of box with dice set and routine?
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Looks it to me. I used to have Loaded Dice, and it looks largely the same. Different wood, lid, and they make their own dice out of wood. But I didn't see any mention of Wakeling's effect, just Tenyo's Flash Dice.

I pledged for one, so I will know in a couple of months.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Thanks Seth. I am now deciding if I should pledge or wait and see what the verdict is on it. I want it to be a great version of the Viking/Wakeling set. We shall see.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I performed this at a couple of club meetings several months ago. I didn't present it as if the dice were loaded, but as if they were magical. I think the effect is quite mysterious.

I also think, for some reason, it seems more suspect with artistically produced, polished wooden dice.
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
JulienLosa
View Profile
New user
France
93 Posts

Profile of JulienLosa
Hello everyone !
I have this on my shelf, but... it seems like I have misplaced the explanations... if someone would be nice enough to scan them and send them to me ?...
Here's the proof I have it :
https://youtu.be/4krZeS9kNyc?si=XYr1tBq-XemJohpO

Many thanks !
Best,
Julien
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I am a long-time Loaded Dice performer and just received Kirin Dice. It comes with two sets of different colored, 19mm wooden dice. It is a larger box with a bit more space inside which aids in the manipulation. It uses magnets in the corners as opposed to a side hinge. A notable feature/enhancement is the ability to prevent spectators from affecting the dice by simply changing the lid orientation. Overall, I couldn't possibly be more pleased with this updated rendition of a timeless classic. It is extremely well made and will undoubtedly last forever. I also placed an Amazon order for some white 19mm dice which will lead nicely into any Dr. Sachs and/or dice stacking routine.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2023, JulienLosa wrote:
Hello everyone !
I have this on my shelf, but... it seems like I have misplaced the explanations... if someone would be nice enough to scan them and send them to me ?...
Here's the proof I have it :
https://youtu.be/4krZeS9kNyc?si=XYr1tBq-XemJohpO

Many thanks !
Best,
Julien

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you the instructions in PDF form.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just learned and added TCC's third routine on the instructional video: showing numbers in sequential order beginning with all ones, followed by twos and threes, followed by fours and fives and finishing with all sixes. This is the first time I've seen this very clever phase and highly recommend it.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I am a long-time Loaded Dice performer and just received Kirin Dice. It comes with two sets of different colored, 19mm wooden dice. It is a larger box with a bit more space inside which aids in the manipulation. It uses magnets in the corners as opposed to a side hinge. A notable feature/enhancement is the ability to prevent spectators from affecting the dice by simply changing the lid orientation. Overall, I couldn't possibly be more pleased with this updated rendition of a timeless classic. It is extremely well made and will undoubtedly last forever. I also placed an Amazon order for some white 19mm dice which will lead nicely into any Dr. Sachs and/or dice stacking routine.