The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Recommend a packet trick that is somewhat unusual, offbeat, or fun (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I'm looking for a fun packet deck that is a bit off-beat and something different.

So not the usual recommendations (e.g. B'Wave), but something a bit more unusual, ideally with some fun non-standard cards, and which still is strongly magical enough to produce great reactions.

Any suggestions?
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Gee, I just answered this in the other reply I sent to you a couple of minutes ago - Cameron Francis's "Nothing But the Truth" has lie-detector images on the card backs.

Also, head to Christian Schenk's Card Shark web site (card-shark.de) Under "Online Shop" click on "Vintage Style Effects." There you'll find several answers to inquiry. (A tossed-out tarot. Beautiful butterfly cards. Rorschach Inkblot-Test cards. An effect from Paul Gordon. And more.)
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Love the look of Nothing But The Truth by Cameron Francis - thanks for the suggestion!

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Headhunter- Bob Farmer
Trick Kards- Nick Trost
Did You Get the Odd One- Randy Wakeman
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Daryl's "Presto Printo" is always a fun one
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Highly recommend "CARDTOON" by Dan Harlan. See it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0mHZ-PBZM
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
In your first sentence I think you means packet *trick*, EndersGame? I recommend Colombini's "Close Quarters," available on Lybrary. Four quarters drawn on separate cards (you have to draw them yourself on blank cards) assemble, so that now all four are on one card. Then the four quarters are "moved" to another card, where they appear as a drawing of a dollar coin.

Darko on the Café demonstrates his own very effective variant where four quarters turn into a *real* coin.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
MagikDavid, I have to get out my Cardtoon deck again. The handling on the video you referenced is much better than what first learned from the instructional video when I first bought the deck.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Bob G - Yeah, I thought the same thing. His handling is less complex than Harlan's original. Seems to fit the criteria that EndersGame was asking for, don't you agree? A little 'off-beat'... something different... visually magical and always gets a great reaction.
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I do, MagikDavid -- it's definitely fun and offbeat. I'm pretty sure Enders was asking for packet tricks, but what the heck. I like your quote, by the way -- very funny.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
EndersGame,

I looked at the trailer for "Nothing but the truth," and enjoyed it very much. Surprisingly, it didn't include the surprise ending I've read about. Anyway, I have a question: I'm assuming that the spectator always "chooses" the card shown in the trailer. How difficult would it be to make up one's own packet that involved a different card? I don't mind if the cards have a home-made look (e. g., True and Lie written by hand), but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to set up the T. and L. cards in a way that would match the different card. Hope that made sense!

As I think about it, I could probably work this out for myself. Still interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Just realized I should have directed my previous post to Emory -- or anyone else who has ideas, of course.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Alien Autopsy or Cup Cards Both are fun and very different from standard cards and easy to do.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2019, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Alien Autopsy or Cup Cards Both are fun and very different from standard cards and easy to do.

I wasn't familiar with Alien Autopsy so put it in google and there was a couple of youtube clips and I still have no idea what the effect is.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
I've got two packet tricks that I use often and believe offer a unique approach:

1) I think Alakazam's "What the tarot holds" is a pretty interesting effect:

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-What-......Set.html

The method is pretty easy to figure out, and I don't use the tarot cards--just regular cards, and I assign different meanings to each card (e.g., Ace = wealth; hearts is good, spades is bad). In this way, the cards can be pulled from an ordinary (even borrowed) deck, examined, and then you can proceed with the effect. I actually made a little holder for the cards that has "What the tarot holds" printed on one side, and the meanings of the cards on the other (I use AKQJ10 spades and hearts). I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this little packet trick!

This fits my presentation and style, so I would recommend picking up the tarot cards and routine from Alakazam.

2) Another little goodie is Rick Lax's Reverse Psychology:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6995

Again, pretty easy to create and master, and it adds the psychological angle to make the presentation interesting.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
496 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Take a look a Close’s Clones. Not your run of the mill packet trick.

-Feral
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
You might check out the "Vintage" section at Card Shark. They have a number of effects that use non-standard cards.

Here is the URL: http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=......tegory=3
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2544 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Stick men 4 from the Richard Sanders Show dvd set.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Color Monte (unless that's a "usual" recommendation?)
The mirror finish colored diamonds are unusual (to laymen) and the kicker is extra unusual.
magikmax
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
113 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Gone by Daniel Bryan is a nice packet trick, sold by Alakazam Magic in the UK. AFAIK they offer free world-wide shipping on their own items (which this is one)