The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: How I carry sponge balls (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Hi everyone,
So I've always had a problem when I forget to take the sponge balls out of my case or bag far a few days and I rush to my next performance and they look like they've been beaten up, wrinkled and squashed etc. It take a few minutes to futz with them to get them to spring back and look lively. So I came up with this very simple solution for my problem (boy these should be out biggest problems...right) I went and got a few hair curler tubes, and taped 2 together,then one piece of back to back tape across the bottom. Now the sponge balls stay in the correct shape and nice and springy! when they are taken out for the performance. I tried TP tubes but the cardboard got crushed easily and didn't help, the plastic is nice and the holes allow air to circulate so nothing dries out. This is also good to hold them when they are still a bit damp after cleaning them. Yes! I've invented the Plastic Tube!!!!
Bruce

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Good idea, thanks, but I stopped using curlers years ago, baldness set in. Smile

If you use the Super Soft sponge balls, all you need to do is wet the balls and squeeze them out they expand to like new round and fluffy.

Your right though, they take up to much room to carry to shows.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I wet the sponge balls and place them in a ziplock bag..
I then flatten the bag with a book or any flat object and then close the zip loc.
The balls remain nice and flat until you need them.
When you open the bag, the balls spring back to life.
Ihor
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Ihop,
do you try to remove the air from the bag or just close it while they are flat, I'm going to try that....
Thx
Bruce
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Drmolarmagic,
I put the wet sponge balls in a ziplock bag.
I flatten the bag and the sponge balls which squeezes out the air and close the bag while it is flat.
It remains flat and the balls remain wet.
Make sure you get a good bag that doesn’t let the air back in.
Ihor
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Cool idea
micwize
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of micwize
Good idea, thanks for sharing
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I use racquetball containers. They are small enough to not take up too much space, but they also provide great protection from smashing.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I use the Goshman box they come in to be honest. Or just a ziplock bag....you can't really damage them.
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
95 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
I've been putting my sponge balls in a Q-Tip travel case, which is about the size of a deck of cards. Which can be picked up online or in the travel section of a store like Walmart or target.

Picture here: https://tinyurl.com/3ep49eww

It keeps my travel case organized and when I want to use them, I simple run them under the tap and remove the excess water by squeezing them and then pat dry with a small wash cloth. If you're going some where that you think you want have access to a faucet. A bottle of water in a cup would be the same thing. I wouldn't want to keep the sponge balls wet in a bag to avoid the chance of them obtaining a smell of dampness.
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Gwydeon
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of Gwydeon
At the moment I carry mine in one of these snap bags:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0839G5......F8&psc=1

They are also perfect for my C&B mini-baseballs

Did anyone had have problems of getting them moldy already?
Especially because they wander through many hands and fetching germs and other nasty stuff attached to most hands....
I know how fantastic light damp sponge balls are, but stashed in a vacuum bag, don´t they turn to life by time and try to run away?
Nick Collins
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Nick Collins
I came across some economical tubes with end caps that seem to work well:

https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Group-Tr......7Y1J9RQ7

They’re perfect for four (4) 1.5” sponge balls.
If you use larger balls, the link probably has similar sizes available.
-Nick
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a partitioned plastic box, found in hardware stores and craft stores. They enable me to keep business cards and other items safe in my close-up case. I also have several hard-shell pencil boxes in the case to store other props.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Belt looped sunglasses case with magnetic closure. Wear it upside-down to use as a hold out- https://www.amazon.com/Eyeglass-Prescrip......-28&th=1
Can be attached inside jacket if preferred. Use a second one for other props. Holds a deck of cards with extra room. Have a Batman utility belt of magic! Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I use a chinese take out box and pk'd it.