The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Mentalism With Die ( Is It Entertaining ? ) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Nottingham Magician
View Profile
New user
Nottingham
46 Posts

Profile of Nottingham Magician
Does anybody know of any forcing die / loaded which are 100% accurate. Thanks in advance....
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Most if not all, forcing dies are 100% accurate. I don't understand the question?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Just saw an imaginary die routine on Scam School that was OK I guess, that is if you can get past the math?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Just saw an imaginary die routine on Scam School that was OK I guess, that is if you can get past the math?

I try to stay clear of effects that require the spectators to do math's as most usually mess it up and if you tried to do it in a working situation where spectators have been drinking you stand an even bigger chance of it being messed up.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
It all depends on the presentation as to whether it is interesting or boring. The magic (whether you be menatlist or magician) is all in the presentation.
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Yeah, with a good presentation its amazing! People love it
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, danieltirado wrote:
Yeah, with a good presentation its amazing! People love it

Not to come across as negative as I do think the effect has potential but is there a youtube clip or something so that I can see these people loving it as every performance I've ever seen the spectator's reactions have been average at best ?
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Entertainment value is more about magician not the props...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
All I can say is I haven't seen one magician make it entertaining yet.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1432 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Hi Warren - here’s a clip of me at a wedding…

https://youtu.be/UPw-fjiJCAQ

Personally, I find this gets fantastic reactions and has been part of my set for many many years
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2022, simplymagicweb wrote:

Personally, I find this gets fantastic reactions and has been part of my set for many many years

That's the best performance I've seen using this prop yo date but I think you got lucky when the lady named the square at the end which gave the effect an actual finish 👏
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1432 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
That's the best performance I've seen using this prop yo date but I think you got lucky when the lady named the square at the end which gave the effect an actual finish 👏 [/quote]

Thank you (I think???) - I have multiple outs at the end tbh, all of which give a conclusion. As with any prop in magic, it's all about the performance and in particular, how you interact with the audience which makes it memorable.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
As I said Sean it was the best performance I've seen yet as every other performance I've seen has been dull with no finish to it and I think that particular prop needs a finish especially for the price.
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
This is presentational as an issue. A great effect can be made from any prop IMHO. It's the hands of the master not (just) the tool!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, KarpeNoktem wrote:
This is presentational as an issue. A great effect can be made from any prop IMHO. It's the hands of the master not (just) the tool!

Agreed but almost all that I've seen present it have the same issue ie it tends to be a very dull routine.
bobaji
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of bobaji
I think if you just buy one of those tricks and treat it as the effect, then it will be pretty boring. You need to think of a routine and a presentation for it. In reality these are utility tools and not routines.

Seans video above shows how to make it into a performance piece.

I use the whispering dice and whilst it does come wiht a good routine from Richard, I've developed my own routine as well, which is quite different. ( the advantage is I now have two solid routines with the one prop.)

The problem it seems to me is when people buy something and use it straight out of the box as it were expecting it to do the entertaining for them and its kind of resonable becasue a lot of effects come either with a routine built in or good routines supplied, but something like this which is really a means to an end rather than the end in itself needs a bit more attention to become a show piece.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Bobaji I agree completely that's why ive never purchased it as Sean's performance is the only one ive seen that is entertaining and I've seen a fair few performances using that prop.
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Back when I first shopped from ProMystic, I decided that

(A) dice were the most natural prop to use, even more so than the ESP variant Sean Goodman used in the video above.

(B) the revelation would have to be dressed up with a LOT of spectator-focused presentation

If the effect were simply the magician knowing what number was rolled, (1) that's boring and (2) the most obvious solution will be correct, or at least credible enough to undermine the trick

I also wanted a presentation I could perform walk around with as many or as few spectators as happen to be available

My ultimate solution was this: I'd have multiple successive spectators shake the die and give each one a quick pseudo-numerology reading before revealing that the number I "chose" for them matched the actual number rolled.

There's no clear end-point, and no need for one, since each specatator's "reading" is a short-standalone act by itself.

It's played very well. I don't have video proof, but in terms of effects that make the audience members "scream," this is definitely up there with PK Touches and sponge bunnies.

NOTE: I would definitely add a more definitive ending for a parlor setting, perhaps a written prediction along the lines of Karmilovich's "Target Number" (it'd be ridiculously easy to have six fairly detailed predictions ready to produce from different pockets)

Finally, if anyone's curious, here's the numerology system I used. In case two people roll the same number, I listed multiple associated traits for each. The movie stars / characters give me an immediate "shortcut" -- in lieu of actual cold reading, I just describe the associated celebrity and what sticks is what sticks (just like actual cold reading).

1. PIONEER (Captain Kirk), initiating action, leading, independent, attaining, individualism

2. PARTNER (Michael J. Fox), cooperation, adaptability, consideration of others, partnering

3. SOCIALIZER (Oprah Winfrey), expression, verbalization, the arts, the joy of living

4. CORNERSTONE (Rocky Balboa), foundation, order, service, struggle against limits, steady growth

5. STAR (Tom Cruise), visionary, expansiveness, adventure, the constructive use of freedom

6. SYMMETRY (Mark Hamill), balance, relator, protection, nurturing, community, responsibility, sympathy
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I think a prediction finish would definitely add to the effect as I think it needs a finish
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2022, simplymagicweb wrote:

Really a perfect and entertaining performance. Nice, to the point and making the audience the center of the magic. Wow, you had me hooked and smiling. Bravo sir!

btw.: am still an avid user of your secret servante Smile
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary