The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silk to Egg (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DanielCardini
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of DanielCardini
Hi Guys.

I have seen some eggs on the market but mostly I think the fake eggs looks so bad and not that genuine.
So my question to you guys is : what kind of Silk to Egg routine is your favorite with the best looking fake egg of course?

I was looking into Jao Mirandas Silk to Egg Pro, its looking good, maybe someone has it and can comment?

Feel free to comment.

Thanks
//DC
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best eggs were by www.Tirofog.com , don't know if they are still making them. They were made from real eggs.

It is nice to have a well made prop, so I usually make my own whenever possible. That is part of being a magician, you learn many skills.

The egg does not have to be that perfect, as it is not seen any closer then a few feet. This effect is not what is considered a close up effect, do to some angles, thus, no need to be perfect, unless you are a perfectionist.

My favorite was the 1st one I ever learned 60 years ago. It still is the best in my opinion. No one can tell you which handling to like, that is a personal experience for each individual.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I use eggs from Bob Sanders. They've worked fine for me - I do recommend getting extra eggs since they will break if you drop them.

Hudson
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Those who are not planning to break open a real egg at the end of the routine don't really have to worry about how realistic the egg looks. It's only when you do the magic thingee and show the egg has a (gasp!) hole in it, and then you magically seal up the hole and crack open the egg so the yolk is on you, that you have to make sure your eggs look alike. And then if you go on to restore the broken egg and push the yolk back inside before sealing it all up again, then you really have to make sure all your eggs look egg-zactly alike.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
I use eggs from Bob Sanders. They've worked fine for me - I do recommend getting extra eggs since they will break if you drop them.

Hudson

I second Bob Sander's egg.
I'm very happy with it.
I can't however say which is the best because I haven't seen them all.
Ihor
DanielCardini
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of DanielCardini
Thanks for all tips guys.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I buy my eggs at the larger craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They are ceramic and I just cut my own hole in them with my Dremel tool. They are very realistic. I have not seen Bob Sander's eggs, but am sure they are great!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I learned, from my first mentor, STUART ROSS, in 1946, the TARBELL routine for the "Eggsplanation".

I would "argue" that Harold Sterling made "the best eggs for the silk to egg bit"

I bought four of them in the spring of 1955 ($1.00 each) from Harold. They were made from real eggs. They had a "plastic" lining. Because I used them, they eventually cracked. I still have one, which I occasionally use.

My friend, Sid Lorraine, in one of his lectures, years ago, explained how to make one. I've long since forgotten his "formula".

Another old friend, Karrell Fox "reinvented the wheel", when he wrote up HIS "method" for doing the trick with a REAL egg, and a silk (nothing else)! It'a in one of his books!

I like it!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Daniel, I agree with you!

I only use ceramic eggs that look feel and are the right weight for real eggs.

In my Walk-Around routine I actually put them in the volunteer's hand.

Having done trade shows for vendors of real eggs , I could not afford the embarrassment of using the plastic junk.

We ship DoveLite eggs all over the world.

email me! Amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Agree the ceramic eggs look so real, while I don't use the effect in strolling I will perform it for a group that has asked for you to return to show more,especially if 8-10 of them are seated, plays so well,ceramic eggs sell the illusion.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Have you tried our DoveLite Silk ceramic eggs? Pros around the world use them for all of the right reasons. They look, feel and have the weight of real eggs. They are also available in white or brown. They are no longer available new from dealers in the USA. They are so realistic that in my Walk-Around silk to Egg routine I actually put them in the hands of my volunteer.

Amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:

Hudson

I got mine from Sanders also.
I can’t recommend which one is best because I don’t have all of them.
But Sanders' eggs are pretty good.
Ihor
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
My friend, Sid Lorraine, in one of his lectures, years ago, explained how to make one. I've long since forgotten his "formula".

Sorry, I missed this post from Dick. Sid taught this to me too and I've made several over the years. I don't think this constitutes "exposure" as you show gimmicked egg in act. So will post here.

You use a toothpick to make a hole on each end of egg. Then you blow in one hole and the contents come out the other. Then you use small grooming scissors to make hole on side. After this you gently wash out inside. After it dries you coat the inside with a layer of wood putty. This is left for 24 hours to cure. If you like you can put a small dab of paint over each hole on end. There you have it, a robust gimmick made from a real egg.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For those of you who like to end an egg routine by cracking the egg open to show that it is real, in my Mini-Mysteries "There's an Egg in your Hat" (Book 4) I have included my "broken and restored" egg trick, never before revealed. The egg is broken and the contents dumped into a glass, along with the broken egg shells. Then the contents seem to visibly draw back together and reform into an egg again. You tear and restore paper, you tear and restore playing cards; why not break and restore an egg? Now you can!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
After 59 years as a magician and over 40 years using Silk to Egg, Silk to Egg combined with Twentieth Century silk is my favorite. The routine possibilities are endless.

Perhaps it is time I wrote a book on the variations.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Write the book, Bob !
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I use ceramic eggs. They look good and real. They are also available in both white and brown eggs. (Doing magic in Europe I learned that brown eggs are more common there.)

My ceramic eggs will hold a 24" silk.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
Anyone know a good place to buy the “holes” for a realistic look? I’ve seen ones that look like a silk coming out of the hole but can’t find them anywhere
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Propdog Magic sells them. They are easily made yourself with some double stick tape and colored silk pieces.
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
Thanks Dan I like that idea!