The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: How hard does Scotch and Soda "hit"? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
What kind of reactions does your Scotch and Soda performance typically get? Where do you place it in your routine? Have you found the half dollar/centavo combo to work well or do you use another combination? If the gaff was more versatile, I wouldn't have too much trouble buying it. But for similar effects other than the typical performance you could use the S&S set for, I would just use a [ or similar gaff. If all S&S gets are "oh okay cool" reactions, I'm not going to drop $30 or so on it. Maybe my thinking is limited, though. Smile
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
It gets powerful reactions, but I haven't done it in a long time because it requires a reset.

For a formal close up show you could easily fit it into a routine, but I choose not to do it for table hopping or walk around; it's too impractical.

I prefer C/S/B
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I agree with Theo here, S&S is a classic for a reason...it's darn good trick. Smile But the reset action has always been a bit of a draw back for some, and that's why they came up with a magnetic version, and even that has some issues to consider as to it.

Luckily there are many good closeup tricks like this that play very well, like Jay Sankey's "Holy Moly" though not exactly a coin trick, it has the same feel and look to it but just using washers. A clever trick that amazes people, just like his "Killer Key" effect that despite the name, does use an actual coin in it. Smile

And there are many other wonderful ones, a NEW one you really should look into is "F I T," now that's a good walk-around close up coin trick that amazes people. Easy to do, very interactive, but comes across as just impossible! Smile

Good journey to you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the suggestions Mb. I'll look into F I T myself.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
F I T seems pretty cool. Although if I'm guessing the effect right, I'd kind of have a hard time buying it considering what you actually get. Then again, S&S is $30-some dollars. The fact that it happens in the spectator's hands is what attracts me most to S&S. Plus it is mostly fool-proof.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Come up with a routine that uses the scotch and soda gimmicks but isn't the standard routine. Think outside the box... Also take a look at Don Alan's routine with Scotch and Soda.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
^ What I'm currently musing is doing a routine with half dollars and then bring out the S&S set. That way the audience is already used to the half dollar and hopefully they will blend seamlessly.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I believe Bill Palmer shared a scotch and soda routine that doesn't use a gimmick. It's fairly easy with practice. I don't have access to the notes at this time-everything is packed up to move. Maybe ask him about it.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
The good Dr Michael Rubinstein and other have shared S&S CSB and other style effect with out the gimmicks. Also, and this is coming from over twenty years of working, a killer effect will fall short with out the right presentation.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2018, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Mb. I'll look into F I T myself.

Quote:
On Sep 15, 2018, will lane wrote:
F I T seems pretty cool. Although if I'm guessing the effect right, I'd kind of have a hard time buying it considering what you actually get. Then again, S&S is $30-some dollars. The fact that it happens in the spectator's hands is what attracts me most to S&S. Plus it is mostly fool-proof.

You'll love F I T Theo, looks amazing and pretty simple to do, too. Smile

And will lane, you're right, S&S costs more. Smile And y'know, I like the trade-off of F I T not being done in the specs hands, for the fact that it is done all out in the open and not the usual behind-the-back bit as to S&S. Just the same, one trick is old, the other is new, both are fun & good to perform. Smile

Did F I T a couple of times today and left them scratching their heads... Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I will say that although I haven't performed S&S in some time, it does get killer reactions, and a lot has to do with the fact that it happens in the spectator's hand. Yes the one drawback is the reset but even with that it's worth the $30 investment for something you'll perform for years. Just my 2 centavos-
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Totally agree with GlennLawrence. All valid points. There is a reason masterpieces become masterpieces & stay popular.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I completly agree with Glennlawrence and Inert. S&S can fry people. Table to table would be a problem. Still it is a KILLER effect/ trick. will have to take a look at FIT just cause MB said so. 😛😀😀👍🤘.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
So Ken Simmons Had 3 softbound Half size Books On S&S. I had a routine in no. 2. Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Might want to consider Captain and Coke 2.0 for a version that can be done in the specs hand yet resets very easily.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, videoman wrote:
Might want to consider Captain and Coke 2.0 for a version that can be done in the specs hand yet resets very easily.

I second that. Captain and Coke 2.0 is very good.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4199 Posts

Profile of warren
Strange I read the reviews over at penguin magic regards Captain and Coke 2.0 and they wasn't very good.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Oooh, Captain and Coke 2.0 looks very interesting. How well does the gimmick stay together and how does it look to a spectator? The biggest thing about S&S is that, hopefully, the gimmick is impossible to figure out as the spectator themselves holds it. I don't want to have to perform a switch to hand out the coins.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I don't have Captain and Coke 2.0, but from reading the reviews on Penguin, I know wouldn't hand out the gimmick for close inspection. Also you need to be very good at spectator control if you are working it in their hands. You probably should switch the gimmick out if handing it out afterwards.

If you already own a good Scotch & Soda, then I would stick with it. I have a Johnson Scotch & Soda that is probably 14 years old and works as good today as it did the day I bought it.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I've used both. I would tend to agree that if you are going to hand out the coins for inspection, I'd stick with Scotch and Soda.

As far as the original question "How hard does it hit?" I remember the first time I saw it and I was blown away! I've used it for over 20 years and have received amazing reactions.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...