The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Vampire Dawn (Paul Hallas) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
This is another of several packet tricks included in The Ultimate Card Trick Collection by Paul Hallas. Paul is a respected authority on packet tricks, having authored several books on the subject. Originally this packet trick came with a DVD, but now it comes with just the cards, and a link to a special website with detailed video instructions.

Vampire Dawn

Effect: A blank card is placed face-down on the table, and you tell the story of the dying art of vampires, showing cards with pictures of four vampires, who are on their way back into hiding before dawn. But unfortunately someone prevents them from making it before dawn, and the cards turn into dust; now all four cards are shown to have turned blank. As a final twist, the blank card on the table is turned over to reveal that it's no longer blank, but now has the name of the Vampire Hunter responsible for this mystery: Prof. Van Helsing.

See Paul's performance of Vampire Dawn here:

Comment: Besides the gaffed cards that are essential to this routine, knowledge of the Elmsley Count is required to perform this effect, and Paul does a good job of teaching it. The Vampire story helps carry the narrative, but this theme won't work for everyone, so it is one limitation of this routine.

The cards are poker-sized, and have an air cushion style finish, and seem to be durable and handle well. The video production quality is excellent, with very clear audio and great visuals and multiple camera angles. Paul's teaching is solid, and he explains all the sleights needed, although already having an ability with the fundamentals of card magic will make learning this much easier. Still, this routine isn't complex, and there's no knuckle-busting moves. The novelty element of these cards can produce some fun and light-hearted magic. It may not be killer material, but with the right presentation, it can be used to create some good reactions and entertainment.

fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3079 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Doesn't list the price on the site
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2018, fonda57 wrote:
Doesn't list the price on the site

The link I gave was just to the publisher's website. I normally buy my magic from Amazon, eBay, or Penguin Magic.

It's priced around $20 on Amazon at the link below - and that's for the entire set of seven packet tricks:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Makers-Ulti......6WLMXKLJ

You'll find it on eBay right now for around the same price.
robfind
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of robfind
I picked this up a year or so ago and just got around to playing the DVD and it does not work. This effect came with Handy Trick too. Anyway the DVD does not work. Can anyone help? THANKS!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2023, robfind wrote:
I picked this up a year or so ago and just got around to playing the DVD and it does not work…. Anyway the DVD does not work. Can anyone help? THANKS!

Is it possible that the DVD is of the wrong region code for where you live (or for your DVD player’s region of manufacture)?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836