The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: "Spectator must be able to describe the trick" (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I interpret Vernon's message to be a call for straightforward simplification.
He prefers a trick with a short arc and punch, rather than a multi-phase drawn out behemoth.

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
I interpret Vernon's message to be a call for straightforward simplification.
He prefers a trick with a short arc and punch, rather than a multi-phase drawn out behemoth.

I assume you aren't talking about his Smile routine! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I don't think the spectator needs to be able to describe the trick - it's a matter of style. It's like the difference between a book by Jane Austen and a book by Gabriel García Márquez. Both are terrific authors. At the end of an Austen, I can describe everything; at the end of a Márquez, I'm like wow, my mind is blown, and I'm not entirely sure what happened.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, shaunluttin wrote:
I don't think the spectator needs to be able to describe the trick - it's a matter of style. It's like the difference between a book by Jane Austen and a book by Gabriel García Márquez. Both are terrific authors. At the end of an Austen, I can describe everything; at the end of a Márquez, I'm like wow, my mind is blown, and I'm not entirely sure what happened.

That is a very accurate comparison. By the way, the kind of magic that Shin Lim, Eric Chien and Bill Cheung exhibit did not exist at all in Vernon's time. It is a kind of symbiosis of technology and magic that create a magical experience. The same can be said of the creations of Marco Tempest.
The question is whether this kind of magic still belongs in the conventional subdomains micro and card magic? Should not a separate category be created for it? (techno-magic?)
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, shaunluttin wrote:

I think you are right! Magicians often hear "rules" from masters and don't realize that those are THEIR rules, not necessarily YOUR or MY rules. Magic is like movies. What worked in the 1940s movies doesn't work in today's movies.

KJ