The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: Eleven Dollar Trick (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
32 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
I've always been a huge fan of the Eleven Card trick by Edward Victor. It's a classic for magicians and a fun entertaining trick for some audiences -- sadly this trick is not for all audiences from my experience. So it comes as no surprise that I was an instant fan of the Eleven Dollar trick by Fred Kaps. First time I saw it was performed by John Carney on a video from YouTube. Great performance, obviously, with a great twist for the finale. Good stuff.

I've performed this trick for some audiences and I've had great reactions to it than with the card version. It's so much easier to come up with a plot for the trick and there are so many gags or jokes that you can come up when it comes to people holding your money.

What are you guys' thoughts on this trick? Please share some of your experiences from performing this professionally since I am thinking of including this on my professional repertoire and I want to get as much insight as possible before I test it.

John Carney's performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CNSUXKEyw

Edward Victor's trick performed by Dingle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPN5uOBX0E

Smile
Regards,

Oscar
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I liked the bill version more, but the card version was almost as entertaining. It's a great effect either way. What more can you want? Audience participation, magician in trouble, packs small, plays big, humorous. . .I am going to include it in my street show.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I love the 11 bill effect I've performed it for Nursing homes, only about 5 times. I thought it played well, but not as well as Stephen Bargatze's performance. Watch his performance if you can; PM me if you can't.

A few comments: SB made a bigger deal of his counting of the bills (held up high, and was more deliberate than Carney), and SB plays up the magician in trouble more than Carney, I'm guessing that is a theatrical choice and performance persona.

The complaints I've heard from MC members was the ending, it just sort of stops. Carney did add an interesting finish. (I played with a finish of doing a "ten card" trick, but that time I counted eleven.

What makes this a wonderful piece is being able to play off of the helpers - at the nursing homes that was sometimes a problem (one helper did not understand English!! ouch, that was awkward, or they may have trouble counting), and then I would occasionally have trouble with what I will call the "Z" move, and would truly have the wrong number of cards (I wasn't faking the look of panic, as I worked my way back to the correct number).

Probably my best performance was the first time I did it, for some "friends", and my two helpers took it upon themselves to figure out what was going on (one put his nose right in the bills as I counted), and just giving me a hard time. But it all worked, and their attitudes made it very funny.

John

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
227 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Please, where I can buy this trick? Thanks!
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2018, RodrigoGrando wrote:
Please, where I can buy this trick? Thanks!

Here's one source:
https://www.lybrary.com/fred-kaps-currency-p-124478.html
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C
Where's the coconut?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late Roy Johnson of England performed the Edward Victor 11 Card trick for me when he visited the IBM Convention in Texas. I went to just to see him, and he picked me to assist him. It blew me away, really I was very surprised.

Later Fred Kaps converted the effect from cards to Bills. Really great routine, takes a lot of practice. Oh, so many weeks of counting to get it just right. You guessed it, it not self working.

Stephen Bargatze is the one magician that get the most out of late Fred Kaps Currency effect. It is hilarious, many have tried to steal it, but nothing is as good as Stephen's routine. Because of all the stealing, Stephan only lets valued clients see it, as it is on a locked, secure, and protected website.
jeanboucher
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jeanboucher
Magicien pour fête d'enfants

In my more than 25 years of doing magic, I have re-discovered that the most magical audiences are children. They make the best audiences because they don't hide their surprise, or joy, or happiness: all of which, my Magic show will bring to life.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Stephen B is amazing. That was a different routining than he did years ago (he used to call it the "World's famous eleven dollar bill trick" I'm not sure why he modified that part.

What makes it a good routine is being able to play off of the helpers.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted my thoughts about Edward Victor's great effect on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on February 2, 2003 and May 1, 2018
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I really like the effect but I have not done it because there is no great climax in my opinion. Does anyone know of a better ending? Maybe I'm missing something.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2019, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
I posted my thoughts about Edward Victor's great effect on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on February 2, 2003 and May 1, 2018

For those that have the book it's on pages 12 and 427.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2019, drmagico wrote:
I really like the effect but I have not done it because there is no great climax in my opinion. Does anyone know of a better ending? Maybe I'm missing something.

You may like the endings explained in the Perverse Magic thread and book noted above.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
Thank you. I will check them out. I like the ending John Carney has. Is that written up anywhere using the envelope?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
Quote:

Is that the Genii forum on the Magic Café or on a separate Genii forum site?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
This is a great trick. With bills. Being able to play off the assistants and humorous suspicion of their money handling .hehe.
this inspires me to create something way better. With bills but playing off the assistants etc.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, John Long wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is that the Genii forum on the Magic Café or on a separate Genii forum site?

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6561
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Gerald:

Thanks! I will read it more closely tomorrow.

I toyed with a similar ending - performing a ten bill effect, but ending with 11.

So how did that ending "play"?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Stephen Bargatze is the one magician that get the most out of late Fred Kaps Currency effect. It is hilarious, many have tried to steal it, but nothing is as good as Stephen's routine. Because of all the stealing, Stephan only lets valued clients see it, as it is on a locked, secure, and protected website.

Bill I think you posted this previously, and it makes me wonder, how do you know this? Are you in touch with him? He does have a number of such videos on Youtube, so he's not exactly hiding his work.

As I think I responded earlier, years ago I did get onto his site, and saw a MUCH funnier presentation of the 11 card trick.(the above video seemed "flat" in comparison, but the routine was essentially the same. )

Just curious.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John,

I Know this because of a professional magician I have known for over 60 years, who befriended Steven and gave him the link to his videos he protected.

The video referenced above (YouTube). You can tell that is a younger, slimmer Steven. Your post sounded like it was an older Steven. I would bet the video on YouTube is from "working out the kinks" early version. You pointed out all the points that are different, and you are correct.

Sometimes it is nice to have friends.