The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Roughing spray (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Can you guys pm what you are using for rou** spray? Thanks.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Testors Dulcote, Krylon Matte Finish 1311, Science Friction Spray, Plasti dip clear, Harry Robson roughing stick (back in stock at Vanishing Inc.)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Thanks Poof!
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
FWIW... I just purchased and used the Harry Robson stick that Poof mentions and it is great! SO much better than the brush-on roughing liquid I purchased before!
Tada!...

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Thanks Dapper! I'll probably stick with the cheaper option right now tho. 😂. See what I did there? My can of roughing spray (probably testors) is leaving a yellowish tint on my cards. Probably has nuthing to do with it being every bit of 15 years old. hahaa!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Dollarbill wrote:
My can of roughing spray (probably testors) is leaving a yellowish tint on my cards. Probably has nuthing to do with it being every bit of 15 years old. hahaa!

Do not spray it on so thick. that may be the reason rather than age. Hold the spray can about 8" away and a row of 13 cards should take no more than 1 second to pass over. If it looks like you missed some spots respray that row but faster his time (like 1/2 second fast) and it will be good enough when it dries.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Dapperdan wrote:
FWIW... I just purchased and used the Harry Robson stick that Poof mentions and it is great! SO much better than the brush-on roughing liquid I purchased before!

What were you using that was "brush on"? That is one I have never heard of. Also, with the stick, do you have to rough both cards for it to work right like testors and dulcote or can you just do every other card (like SF Spray)?

Smile Smile
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Dapperdan wrote:

What were you using that was "brush on"? That is one I have never heard of. Also, with the stick, do you have to rough both cards for it to work right like testors and dulcote or can you just do every other card (like SF Spray)?

I had picked up a bottle of Aldini’s Quick Fix Roughing Fluid. It goes on like nail polish.

As for the stick, Robson recommends doing both cards, and that seems to do pretty good. Also, in the video, he preps an entire Brainwave deck in 2 1/2 minutes. Smile
Tada!...

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Got me a can of testors today at Hobby Lobby. 👍. Even got 40% off coupon online on the way to the check out line! I think it was $3.22 total. 😃
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
I was contemplating getting Villain, but I don't have any experience with it yet.

https://www.ellusionist.com/review/product/list/id/2345/
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember back in the dark ages applying roughing fluid with a cotton ball...

Julie the Younger Smile
Freddie Henderson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Freddie Henderson
Plastidip is the best I have found Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi DB,

I haven't tried this myself, but somewhere I read a suggestion that instead you could scrawl on the card with a white crayon instead of using spray. The claim was that the crayon wouldn't show up. I liked the idea because crayons are presumably nontoxic. Has anyone tried this?

Bob
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, Julie wrote:
I remember back in the dark ages applying roughing fluid with a cotton ball...

Julie the Younger Smile

Me too!
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Ever try using a roughing stick? it works great! less chemicals, I use it all the time.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Roughing stick sounds like a good idea -- especially because you're not going to inhale any spray.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I have heard roughing sticks do not last as long on a deck. Roughing fluid lasts a long time.
I just have to try some of the tips here with roughing fluid. The decks have it wrong. The cards are too hard to separate. It is not just the touch, etc. So thanks for the tips!
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
I have heard roughing sticks do not last as long on a deck. Roughing fluid lasts a long time.
I just have to try some of the tips here with roughing fluid. The decks have it wrong. The cards are too hard to separate. It is not just the touch, etc. So thanks for the tips!

I have made a deck with the roughing stick it's been well over 6 months & they still stick n unstick great.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
I have used the stick for one particular effect and I only rough one card, works great although after about 10 performances, need to refresh it. And in the effect Monkey in the Middle, there is no need to seperate the cards until you reset it. Much easier to work with than roughing fluid also!
DrIlluminatus
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of DrIlluminatus
Been using testors for years no problem