The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Triple Coins. (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey d1...Funny, when you mentioned "Dime & Penny," it reminded me of how I used to fool people all the time with an old, cheap trick called "Perky Penny." Smile It was one of the first coin tricks I ever had (or could afford) Smile as a kid, but it would really fool people. Smile When I got older, I found that the old trick still fooled people badly, plus I was much better at presenting it and making it even more deceptive. Smile

It's a simple one, like the old "Dime & Penny" but like it, it's very deceptive, and can be examined with the right handling. Smile I would think that not many people do it nowadays anymore especially amidst all these greater trick coin effects, but it still rocks if you just want to keep it dirt simple but just as magical. Nice pocket trick! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Hey d1...Funny, when you mentioned "Dime & Penny," it reminded me of how I used to fool people all the time with an old, cheap trick called "Perky Penny." Smile It was one of the first coin tricks I ever had (or could afford) Smile as a kid, but it would really fool people. Smile When I got older, I found that the old trick still fooled people badly, plus I was much better at presenting it and making it even more deceptive. Smile

It's a simple one, like the old "Dime & Penny" but like it, it's very deceptive, and can be examined with the right handling. Smile I would think that not many people do it nowadays anymore especially amidst all these greater trick coin effects, but it still rocks if you just want to keep it dirt simple but just as magical. Nice pocket trick! Smile

First off, I love the quote: "Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." I may have to re-quote this to my students. Smile

I've never heard of the Perky Penny before, so thank you for bringing it to my attention! It's amazing what these simple little tricks can still do.

D.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2019, dmoriarty1 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2019, Sophocles wrote:
I have Sucker Punch and Roy Kuepper's Hopping Halves (Expanded, Half Dollar).
If I were to add to my coin collection, what would you recommend that could have multiple uses? (most bang for the buck).
Magic is a hobby so budget is a concern.
Thank you for your views.

I have Sucker Punch (which I used for practice) and HH (my go-to coin trick, but I add a third Chinese Coin to make it an international routine). This may have already been suggested, but if you're a hobbyist, I'm assuming you have Dime & Penny and Scotch & Soda. If not, those are essential little gems that I still perform often.

I've ventured into higher-priced items (N2, N3 and N4 coins come to mind), but always fall back on the ones I mentioned. I agree that some basic gaffs like C/S (mentioned above) and a Chinatown Half will get you a lot of mileage, but I would argue that "bang for your buck" does not always necessarily equal multiple uses. I've dazzled a room of 150 students with the Dime & Penny. Just my opinion. Smile

Thanks! I ordered a Johnson Dime and Penny. Perhaps combo it with a penetration and card reveal.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, Mb217 wrote:

I think you have to hand it out to convince people it’s not a trick box. (Reminds me of the card box in magic sets). Would love to see or hear about your handling.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Sophocles... Smile

Believe me, you're golden if they think there's something tricky about the box. Smile

It's an easy old trick to do, and at first as a youngster I could't figure out much beyond the old instructions, which in those days for such a cheap trick, were always very simply put, just enough to explain the trick and "good luck" to you. Smile Or perhaps I just didn't read the directions good enough way back then...who knows? Smile

But when I got a bit older, I understood things a bit better and it was easy enough to take advantage of the sorta built-in misdirection of it to be able to finish clean, where they can check out the coin, washer and of course, the box. Smile

*Sent you a PM.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, EasyK wrote:
Hello, from cold Norway!

I've been reading.. A lot. And some of the post goes back years, so it's not easy to choose. But I would like some help or input to which direction I should go.

I'm looking for a triple split coin, and it's so many choices. 3CM, Triple Threat, Triple TUC, Johnny Wongs STC/PP3, etc.

I have the TUC and I can do a lot of routines with that and just some s***LD coins, but it's only a Quarter so it's so small. So wanted something more visual like the Eisenhower dollar. So decided that it would make my routines much easier with a triple. So my search started, and never ended.

So I decided to ask here, and someone please tell me if I missed a simelar recent post.

And so K, what did you ever decide on this, and how is it going for you? 😊

dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Thanks! I ordered a Johnson Dime and Penny. Perhaps combo it with a penetration and card reveal. [/quote]

It was one of my first buys, and I still have it and use it to this day. Best $5 I ever spent.

Let us know what routine you come up with!

D.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2019, Mb217 wrote:

Believe me, you're golden if they think there's something tricky about the box. Smile

This gave me a good chuckle. Thanks Mb! Smile
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, dmoriarty1 wrote:
Thanks! I ordered a Johnson Dime and Penny. Perhaps combo it with a penetration and card reveal.

It was one of my first buys, and I still have it and use it to this day. Best $5 I ever spent.

Let us know what routine you come up with!

D. [/quote]

Here is my routine:

Do a card trick with a !@#$** card. Say we'll come back to that in a minute. "Let me show you something else."
Show in one hand a Tic Tac box and in the other the dime & penny. Then bring the box on top of the dime and penny. Act as if you are squeezing.
Lift box to reveal only penny. 1st wow (disappearance). Then turn box to show that a dime is in the box. 2nd wow (penetration). Cover part of box with finger so people only see that there is a dime in the box. Then lift finger to reveal that the dime in the box has the card. 3rd Wow (impossible card reveal).

This is a variation based on Sankey who does this without a penny and as a prediction. Basically, my routine introduces a penny and ignores the prediction part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyD13sQ0ekU

Sophocles
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A very similar trick is taught on Brian Platt's Catapult DVD set. Utilizes a dime and penny set and the dime penetrates through a Tic Tac box. I purchased Catapult back in 2010, though I don’t know how long it was out before that.

Thanks!

Jim
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2019, Sophocles wrote:

Glad to hear it! It's a (minor) classic of magic, for sure, but always produces amazement and fun.

D.
dmoriarty1
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of dmoriarty1
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, Sophocles wrote:

Here is my routine:

Do a card trick with a !@#$** card. Say we'll come back to that in a minute. "Let me show you something else."
Show in one hand a Tic Tac box and in the other the dime & penny. Then bring the box on top of the dime and penny. Act as if you are squeezing.
Lift box to reveal only penny. 1st wow (disappearance). Then turn box to show that a dime is in the box. 2nd wow (penetration). Cover part of box with finger so people only see that there is a dime in the box. Then lift finger to reveal that the dime in the box has the card. 3rd Wow (impossible card reveal).

This is a variation based on Sankey who does this without a penny and as a prediction. Basically, my routine introduces a penny and ignores the prediction part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyD13sQ0ekU

Sophocles

Sounds like a fun routine. If you can record it and share, that would be great!

And thanks for the link to the Sankey routine. I know Sankey gets on some people's nerves, but I enjoy hearing his explanations.

D.
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
I did it with a poor quality cheap S&S to wife and dad separately. They both liked it. FYI my wife doesn’t like magic much so...
I’m now wondering thinking that perhaps I should act like I’m writing something down as a prediction as it may be just too magical (penetration and sudden appearance of named card). I used centavo and if tic tac is filled it conceals it enough. Also you don’t really need to seal it like Sankey suggests. That’s just overkill and I’m not sure it adds anything.
thejavman
View Profile
New user
SC
16 Posts

Profile of thejavman
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, StarManager wrote:
I am not a fan of Ray's coins. (Transient) He's creative but to me all his work looks like it came out of a machine shop. Rough around the edges on his coins, rings, etc. Hate to say it but it is my personal experience. Super Triple is better but I hate the stickers they use. They wear. You get a couple extra but they look like stickers and do not clink right. If you are getting JJ's you don't need the others. OR - if you get ANY of these you will be happy. My vote is JJ and his online tutorial is thorough and well presented.

Who is JJ? How do I get in touch with his coins? Thanks Jim
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2019, thejavman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, StarManager wrote:
I am not a fan of Ray's coins. (Transient) He's creative but to me all his work looks like it came out of a machine shop. Rough around the edges on his coins, rings, etc. Hate to say it but it is my personal experience. Super Triple is better but I hate the stickers they use. They wear. You get a couple extra but they look like stickers and do not clink right. If you are getting JJ's you don't need the others. OR - if you get ANY of these you will be happy. My vote is JJ and his online tutorial is thorough and well presented.

Who is JJ? How do I get in touch with his coins? Thanks Jim

https://www.jjmagiccoins.com
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Hi name is John Jurney. A magician and CNC Engineer so he can fabricate his coins on expensive, computer controlled machines. Great guy.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Simplymagicweb, your video using JJ's coins. Whose routine is that John's? yours? A mix? I really enjoyed it, BTW.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1432 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, FlightRisk wrote:
Simplymagicweb, your video using JJ's coins. Whose routine is that John's? yours? A mix? I really enjoyed it, BTW.

Thanks FlightRisk - yes it’s my routine buddy. It’s available for download at £5 via PayPal sean@simplymagic.co.uk - I had lots of magicians asking me to do a tutorial for it so that’s why it’s available 😁
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, simplymagicweb wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, FlightRisk wrote:

Thanks FlightRisk - yes it’s my routine buddy. It’s available for download at £5 via PayPal sean@simplymagic.co.uk - I had lots of magicians asking me to do a tutorial for it so that’s why it’s available 😁

Yes Flighty, it's a wonderful routine, and an absolute steal. Smile

And yes, John's coins come with a load of unique quality from a really "great guy," as you duly noted. Smile

RSitnick
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of RSitnick
Any recommendations on published routines with Triple Split Coins? I have a few videos but it would help to slow them down and step through them.
Books and lecture notes would be great!