The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: For all the Lefties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I'm a lefty too. I just noticed last night that if I spread the cards in the Invisble Deck as a righty would, it is much easier to see the target card coming and to prepare it for the revelation.

I've also found it cumbersome to translate right to left throughout a set of instructions when I first started.
Dusty the magic clown
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Dusty the magic clown
I still haven't got a lot of card sleights down because I'm a lefty. Is there a book for left handed magiacians out there?
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
Ah yes, the lefties. We have it over on the righties you know. I had to learn everything right handed. And then I converted them to left handed. My manipulation routines are both left and right handed, I teach these to my students. This is why I have such excellent students. I am so very proud of my students they have all won many awards and continue training with me. I teach manipulation for stage and for close up. Not only should one be dexterous with both hands but I have always felt the complete magician should know both close up and stage, as well as biz practices, my students use hardly any store bought gadgets either, many of the principles of each will compliment the other, just ask Dakota Rose, Michael Platt, Shayna Reed, and Matt Stanly to name a few. Oh I cannot take all the credit I encourage my students to learn stuff from others as well and some have had many teachers of different magic disciplines. Nah, I'll take all the credit ha ha. Just kidding. No really.
Peace to all
Larry Taylor
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 21:22, funny_gecko wrote:
I hate how you can't see the pips on my fans.

Yeah, but Virginia City Shuffle is a snap for us lefties!
skyler heims
View Profile
New user
Redding, C.A
2 Posts

Profile of skyler heims
I'm a lefty also and I find it challenging in some ways but a major advantage in some sleight-of-hand tricks or even some card tricks.
chrisgq
View Profile
New user
WV/Florida
58 Posts

Profile of chrisgq
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found that annoying as well, and also had a heck of a time getting the deck in the right position when I initially learned the fan.....
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I also fan the cards left handed.

The only time I am hapy with it is when I control the spec's pick to the bottom, then ask another spec to think of any card in the fan (only thing they can see is the spec's pick, the rest of the fan is blank.)

It makes for some good mentalist fun before the reveal...

Cheers!
Learn something new everyday.
gaggin
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of gaggin
Yer I'm a 'lefty' too, But I hold the deck in my right hand..., I also play cricket and bowl left handed, but bat right, so I guess in a way I'm some what ambidextrous.
gaggin
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of gaggin
Yer I'm a 'lefty' too, But I hold the deck in my right hand..., I also play cricket and bowl left handed, but bat right, so I guess in a way I'm some what ambidextrous.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I'm left-handed (I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous) and have had no trouble whatsoever learning things. I do it all the right handed way which I find easier for me and some things which are, in the main, performed by the left hand, such as Charlier Cuts and revolution cut, I found a lot easier than some as the left is my stronger hand.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I'm a rightie, but I've always done cards left handed. Dealing, getting breaks, and so on. The biggest problem for me is peeks when holding a break. Over the last couple of years, I've been working on trying to do cards more ambidexterously, but...

I've never had a real problem learning despite this. In fact, a lot of my early learning was done from Harry Lorayne card books (no VHS or DVD in the mid 70's) and I never even noticed I was a "card leftie" till years later!
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I'm leffty, I have no deficulty learning sleight.
but I quit using the invisible deck cuz when I spread the card from right to left the index of the card shows on the bottom of the deck not toward the spectator. so they can't see it.
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I'm leffty, I have no deficulty learning sleight.
but I quit using the invisible deck cuz when I spread the card from right to left the index of the card shows on the bottom of the deck not toward the spectator. so they can't see it.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I just started learning how to do things with the other hand. It's really not that tough, and once you get it looking natural, spectators don't even notice that you do some things with the left, and others with the right ('cause I can't do them all with the other hand smoothly...)
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I'm a "lefty" myself. Never had any problems.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I'm a lefty and agree with the transposing instructions thing. I wish tricks came with warnings if they are specifically designed for right handed people.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 01:05, chrisgq wrote:
Quote:

I found that annoying as well, and also had a heck of a time getting the deck in the right position when I initially learned the fan.....

If you do your fans with the deck in the left hand you should be able to see all the pips. But you are probably referring to fanning while holding the deck in the right hand. If that is the case , just use a reverse thumb fan rather than the standard. That is how I initially learned to show all the pips. but now I am more comfortable fanning the way a right handed person would.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
I am a lefty as well. I found that if you place a mirror in front of you and place a book in between you and the mirror, illustrations toward the mirror and look over the book into the mirror, you will sell all right handed pictures have now...ahem..dare I say it?.. magically transformed into left handed pictures. I know..I know..that was bad..lol
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I have found that learning from dvd's in mirror fassion works a treat for a leftie.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I am left Handed And I teach A lot! I have found Teaching From Left To right Good For my People!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com