The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Unliftable (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
41 Posts

Profile of dennye
Wow! I just purchased this today and watched the instructional video 5 times before I could wrap my head around this. Not because it is difficult or complicated but just the opposite where I was overthinking it. Also, in being in a different language didn't help since I had to try to watch the English captioning at the bottom the same time I was trying to watch the video. I am very excited about this. Unliftable looks awesome to perform and I believe I am going to have a lot of fun with this. From the way this looks you can just throw something on a counter or table in front of anyone and ask them to pick it up and they wont be able to and then just reach down and pick it up yourself. My mind is racing to find many different ways I can use this in public places just to mess with people and then hand out my business card.
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
What a fantastic idea. I watched this today and I really like it. Being a physicist, I am always looking for simple physics ideas to apply to magic. This one is awesome. These guys from Thinking paradox always produce great stuff. I've never been disappointed.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
41 Posts

Profile of dennye
To be fair to the people who have asked, it looks like the main part of the gimmick may have to be purchased through a plastic company. So that being said, it is very cheap to buy the material needed to make the gimmick but I may have to pay $25 just in shipping charges if I cannot find a plastic company within an hour of my house that I can walk into to purchase. I will be calling around tomorrow to check into.
ollybollydobdob
View Profile
New user
UK
80 Posts

Profile of ollybollydobdob
I got everything I needed from Hobbycraft here in the UK, cost less than £5, and that will make at least 20 gimmicks.
Hope this helps,
Darren
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
It looks like a positive consensus on the value of the concept. Could those who have constructed the gimmick comment on the availability of the materials? 2 people have said you may have to order something online, with a hefty shipping charge, especially in the US.
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
41 Posts

Profile of dennye
I can tell you where I live, I have called dozens of print shops, craft shops, sign stores, plastic outlets and I have finally given up looking for it locally, and decided I am just going to order it online and pay the extra $25 in shipping:(
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1753 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I have been unable to find an affordable gimmick as well. I purchased some of the substance online from a different source and it isn’t the right type at all. I just can’t justify sending $25 on shipping for a $5 item. That’s ridiculous to me. I’ll have to find a cheaper alternative if I’m ever going to use this.

Madison
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi Madison - I feel like I should apologize. I responded earlier that the needed material should be easy to find at any office supply store. I spoke prematurely thinking it would be simple. I'm going to call around to some sign shops in my area but might have to purchase online as well.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Hi there,
Can someone be kind enough to tell us living in england where we can buy the material? Is there a high street shop like Rymans or WHSmith that sell it?
Or can someone post a link to an english website selling the correct thing? Would like to order from england to avoid paying shipping!

Really would appreciate it. Did someone mention Hobby Craft? Which is the right material on the website?

Thank you in advance!!
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
I had the same experience a little misleading .Yes they supply a link to where to get the material but they did not do their homework when it came to shipping costs. Its not like going to your local Office supply store and picking this up.
You pay for the trick then almost the same amount for the materials if not more, then at least double that to have material shipped. The creator and Penguin would have done all of its customers a huge favour, time and money saver by simply supplying this one item. I know that eliminates the instant download but you are spending more time and money just getting the one element that is crucial to the trick working. In my case I spent some more on material at a HOBBY STORE that I THOUGHT would work but it did not.I will eat that "my bad". I think the effect and the principle is well worth what they charge its just this post purchase "circus" you go through to get the crucial material that makes this frustrating. Unless you happen to live next to the supplier of this expect to spend at least double and even triple the amount of the listed price. I know some may have local access to this gimmick but I have had PMs with people who do not. Again killer principle and wonderful effect but ..............
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
I imagine the gimmick can be removed from the item? Such as the phone?

Madison

To clarify another response yes the gimmick can be removed but not"in flight". In other words its not something you add in or take away during a performance. If you removed it , you would do so in privacy and you would need several minutes and certain materials to "re apply " the gimmick.That said with a little audience management, in most cases it would be hard to detect if you leave it on, as the creator has designed.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Tempestad - you said you can't let the audience fully examine the object, but to quote from the ad copy - 'The gimmick is invisible to sight and touch, and many of the objects could be handled by the spectator without the secret being detected' - so is this statement false?
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, magic_tony wrote:
Tempestad - you said you can't let the audience fully examine the object, but to quote from the ad copy - 'The gimmick is invisible to sight and touch, and many of the objects could be handled by the spectator without the secret being detected' - so is this statement false?

It's....misleading.

The gimmick is not "invisible" per se. Depending on the object, it might be harder or easier to detect. Personally, I wouldn't let a spec investigate the object too much.

Can "many of the objects" be handled without the secret being detected? It depends how you interpret "handled". Can they hold it (but not really investigate it) without detection? Probably. But if they are looking for something, they will likely be able to find the gimmick.

I'm with Tempestad - I wouldn't let the audience "fully examine" the object.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
846 Posts

Profile of roblane
Just took the plunge and I think it's a superb idea. I'm yet to purchase the required but have faith that it will work as described. As for examination, why would the spec want to? If demonstrated as shown in the video the spec handles the deck fairly and has no reason to look elsewhere for a solution, other than the pseudo one provided. I'll report back once I've constructed ad road tested.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Charming Cheat
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Charming Cheat
Same for me! Cannot find it anywhere around me. Please, if someone PM me the link to buy it. The link provided will cost a lot of money.
Not that youtuber.
Charming Cheat
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Charming Cheat
A great concept though!
Always liked to do a 'light and heavy box' routine.
Not that youtuber.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Hey Guys:

I think this is what we are looking for and it is in the USA.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.as......IFvD_BwE

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
mrjinglesusa
View Profile
New user
Fairfax
57 Posts

Profile of mrjinglesusa
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, Steven Conner wrote:
Hey Guys:

Steve

It's not an issue of not being able to find it. The issue is, with shipping, it's over $30. It may cost less than $6.00 but the shipping in the US is over $25.00.

This is an example of a company charging exorbitant shipping to make more profit. There is NO WAY it costs over $25.00 to ship that by UPS Ground within the US.

So, you end up paying more for the "thing" you need to actually do the trick than you paid for the trick itself. That's the "issue" people are having with this.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, mrjinglesusa wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2018, Steven Conner wrote:
Hey Guys:

Steve

It's not an issue of not being able to find it. The issue is, with shipping, it's over $30. It may cost less than $6.00 but the shipping in the US is over $25.00.

This is an example of a company charging exorbitant shipping to make more profit. There is NO WAY it costs over $25.00 to ship that by UPS Ground within the US.

So, you end up paying more for the "thing" you need to actually do the trick than you paid for the trick itself. That's the "issue" people are having with this.

Just got off the phone with the company. The product is 2'x4' and shipping through the PO is $10.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Do a search on AliExpress.com you can find it there. Shipping should be a lot cheaper.

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile