The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: SansMinds Magic :: Silent Assistant by Sansminds Creative lab (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
The SA is not "like a raven" - it is "like" a PK ring. However .... the first half of the SA video - the "tricks" Herman teaches are all things I could accomplish just as easily with a raven. Can you do more tricks with an SA then a Raven? Sure. Would I "build an entire routine" around EITHER?

no
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Yes, the tutorial doesn't show everything you can do with SA, you can do way more. By routine, what I had in mind is something like what Dannicus did with his Event Horizon, as shown in his trailer.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2018, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2018, Brian Tanner wrote:
Doug, I must respectfully disagree with your statement, I use S.A. for just a cup, and have no problems whatsoever. In fact, that's why I bought Silent Assistant. Axle's JAC gimmick is very strong, but I much prefer using S.A. in lieu of it...

Wow. Really? OK. I guess this IS a powerful tool. I know a PK ring does not work. I've tried it. I have also tried my system. My system (after having your ring finger all taped up, then scissor-trimmed on the non-palm side) works for a neo wrapped in a dollar bill in a coffee cup. It also works well using a GLASS tumbler like in the demo. But JAC, it fails.

So Silent Assistant must have something we have not seen before. Again, it's been years since I have researched what is out there, as far as this principle is concerned. I mean, you can HURT yourself with an M5! In my parts box, I used to have a whole section of stuff for PK. But now, there are neo-neos! You pinch a finger between those...ha! Tech has come far, kids! We be in a NEW era!

Silent Assistant is a winner. Again, I cannot justify another fifty bucks when I just spent a HUNDRED and fifty for Axel's. But remember, you get a whole ROUTINE with Just A Cup, and performance rights! It's a kicked up Chop Cup (but it's NOT) and die. Silent Assistant has a whole RANGE of uses, plus, my Raven is NOT completely silent. Workers, this may be the best fifty dollar investment to come along in a while!

Silent Assistant is more like what I was trying to do back in 2001. We did not have the type of ******s we have today. I guess I'm gonna get a sample pack from my old friend. He is always on top of the new stuff. I'm interested in different shapes. Round, square, rectangular. My research extends into other hobbies besides Magic. One idea I have is to animate Matchbox-type cars in a display diorama. But, I digress.

In the demo, I see moves I would not do for various reasons. I know too many hand-grabbers. Probibition/Cola Cap would be PERFECT! Quarter Thru Glass Window is another. The advantage The Raven has, is, once the coin vanishes/changes, you can IMMEDIATELY show you are clean. The SA cannot do that. But think about it, Raven users! Why not use BOTH? Smile

Doug

I picked up the S.A. and I am impressed on how well it works. Looks great as well. I mostly bought it for my cap in a bottle. I don't like wearing my P.K. ring all the time. Works great for that. I also put it on to try with my just a cup and it picked up the die and worked very well. The only thing was it did not stay in my hand very well. I will need to add some kind of sticky stuff to it. All work with it more for my just a cup and see. As far as hidden in my hand. Looks very good for flashing. I also have a little trick to do to it to make it blend in a little better on your finger.
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, GAMJoker wrote:
Well, sadly it's the same like with thumbtips. If it fits, you are lucky - If you have different sized fingers or just a different skin color, you're screwed Smile
Sadly I have like the most brightest skin color you could imagine. So even there are different colors of thumbtips, you can always see them on from a mile away. This product doesn't even have different options, so I'm pretty sure this will be nothing for me eiter Smile
For me there are better ways to achieve the same effect Smile

Jam Joker,
My mentor was Al Cohen back in the 50's. He as you know is retired and lives in Boca Rotan. 90+ years old. When I was about 12 years old, it did about a 10 minute routine with a thumb tip. When done, he showed it to me. It was "Red". Don't worry about skin tone. I will say the magnet is not real strong. It will pick up a fifty cent piece. Size was an issue with me. It would not stay on my finger. A little Scotch Reposionable Spray Mount will solve the problem. It is quiet! Hope this helps
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Jam Joker,
My mentor was Al Cohen back in the 50's. He as you know is retired and lives in Boca Rotan. 90+ years old. When I was about 12 years old, it did about a 10 minute routine with a thumb tip. When done, he showed it to me. It was "Red". Don't worry about skin tone. I will say the magnet is not real strong. It will pick up a fifty cent piece. Size was an issue with me. It would not stay on my finger. A little Scotch Reposionable Spray Mount will solve the problem. It is quiet! Hope this helps
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, Magic KL wrote:
It reminds me of Tarantula. Maybe it was inspired by it.

It is not as strong as a PK ring, but it will pick up a fifty cent piece & it is quiet. Probably cost Sans Mind about $5.00 to produce. I paid $67.00. I like it, but highly overpriced. From Sans Mind, would not expect less. Got a Vapr Watch from them about six weeks ago. Doesn't work. Customer service is non existent!
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, Logan wrote:
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14119

Pk Blista came out awhile back and it's basically the same thing though not as well disguised for the casual flash that you can do with the Silent Asistant.

I've seen Darryl's Control trailer and there is no 'bare hands display' that you can do with Silent Assistant too. In fact, as awesome as Greg's performances are, it does look like he's finger palming something most of the time.

So I guess that's the real big plus of Silent Assistant, which is that you're able to flash fairly freely that there is nothing in the hands.

Not sure if that makes it worth the steep price point though...

Magnet not as strong as a PK ring. It will pick up a fifty cent piece and it is quiet, but highly overpriced!
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Byronmaddox, I don't agree with your comparison with TT. That tool, depending on the way it's handled and/or its use, color doesn't always matter. But with SA, you would like to show your hands empty, flash them briefly. So, color matters. And if you want to spread your fingers too, you must also care about color, or people will see that it's red, black, blue, etc.
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
Hi, I'm keen to buy the SA, but I would like to be sure that:
a) It is not too big for my fingers.
b) It is close to my skin color.

Would it be possible for someone to PM me:
1. The exact measurement of the gimmick, or how I can measure my finger to know if it fits and not too big (as that seems to be frequent feedback from reviews).
2. The approximate color of the gimmick, by reference to this skin color chart: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:......hart.svg

Thanks!
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just ordered this in hopes that it will work well with Spike as a PK ring or Sharpie replacement.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
This works well for what I need it for. PM me if you are looking to dump any. Thanks.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Silent Assistant – Sansminds

Product description : You maybe know the PK Ring which is a strong tool for any magician or mentalist. There have always be a few problems with it, such as the sound it makes when it connects with a coin for example or the fact you have to wear it when you’re not typically wearing jewellery. Sansminds thought about it and produced Silent Assistant which is basically a half sanada gimmick with a magnet inside (I’m not spoiling, it’s clearly shown in the trailer). So you can do vanishes, travel and many more things with it.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $49.99 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a little cardboard box, with inside 3 little magnets which you can load into almost anything. They’re round and flat, quite small. You also get the link in order to watch the explanation video, the first part is cool, they teach you how to use the gimmick and then they stop talking and show you ideas they had. And you can see that one idea, the transposition of 2 coins, one of which is on a wallet, can’t be done in real life, they edited the video to make it look cool but don’t expect to be able to do it, it looks so crappy in the tutorial. Apart from that, the other ideas are cool. You finally get the gimmick which is really well made and should blend into any white type skin. If your skin isn’t matching the gimmick, you can use make up so it will fit your color. The gimmick is nice, I find the magnet to be not that strong so you’ll have to be close to the magnetic objects you’re using. Overall, it’s a bit overpriced for what it is but it’s made well.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xve0fI524

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
• It’s overpriced for what it is, it should have been sold for $10 less at least.
• The magnet is not that strong, this more to steal magnetic object in your hand rather than doing telekinesis stuff.
• You cannot adapt the gimmick to make it fit better and hold a bit better on your hand, it has a U shape and you can’t bend it even slightly to make it fit more comfortably !

THE PROS :
• I really like the way the gimmick look, it’s really well made and when you close a bit your fingers, it will be 100% invisible.
• The magnet is strong enough to take objects like magnetic shell or things like that so it all depends on what you want to do with it.
• The sound is really low with it, maybe because of the material in which the gimmick is made, which feels like rubber and allows to minimize a lot the sound the object makes when connecting with the gimmick.
• It’s small enough to be carried in your pocket and you don’t have to have it on you at all time, just “palm” it when you need to. No fear of losing data when you’re approaching your credit card to the previous PK Ring.
• If your need is to pick up a light object without making any sound, SA is perfect but if you need a really powerful magnet, you may have to check Control by Daryl Vanamburg.

Overall rating : It’s a really interesting and well-made gimmick, if you have a use for it, you will love it ! I’m still not sure whether I would use it but still, great tool, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, it depends on what you’re planning to do, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Control by Daryl Vanamburg is similar, PK Blista too.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, GAMJoker wrote:
Well, sadly it's the same like with thumbtips. If it fits, you are lucky - If you have different sized fingers or just a different skin color, you're screwed Smile
Sadly I have like the most brightest skin color you could imagine. So even there are different colors of thumbtips, you can always see them on from a mile away. This product doesn't even have different options, so I'm pretty sure this will be nothing for me eiter Smile
For me there are better ways to achieve the same effect Smile

Actually you are not "screwed" by any means if the color does not match perfectly. If you use a TT correctly it can be bright orange and still never be seen, same goes for this gimmick as well as it is not meant to be seen as it lies underneath the hand. The only thing that having the color match your skin accomplishes is so you can briefly show your hands or flash the TT, or helps conceal accidental flashes.

But you never have to show them at all, and a lot of magicians tend to "over-show" it actually and draw needless attention to the TT. You can also repaint them easily to match your skin. I use an XXL which fits great, as many others I had were too small. A lot more room for loads as well. But this gimmick is even easier to hide as it is on the bottom of the finger.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2017, Ustaad wrote:
One might like to checkout - Sanada Gimmick Routines by Toyosane Sanada. It comes with a DVD and requisite props. Unlike the others, this Sanada gimmick is made from special soft and flexible material.

A demo vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvwAr1d3FI

Smile

Yeah I have this as well and it reminded me of it.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
RussellJ
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
7 Posts

Profile of RussellJ
I read with interest the comments on 'Silent Assistant'. I'm rather suprised that no-one has pointed out that this is very similar, if not identical, to Roger Curzon's Zurcon gimmick, first released by Roger through Magick Enterprises in 2005. The following year it appeared in Roger's book 'Sublimations' complete with illustrations and manufacturing instructions.

I'll try to upload the relevant pics from Roger's book (with his permission). I've not seen SansMinds' instructions so perhaps they have credited Roger. Although maybe they should have contacted him first?

Click here to view attached image.
RussellJ
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
7 Posts

Profile of RussellJ
It seems I can only upload one image at a time. So here's the second one:

Click here to view attached image.
RussellJ
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
7 Posts

Profile of RussellJ
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
As much as I like this utility, I would use the term "silent" loosely.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Very interesting history, Russell. This utility device hides in plain sight and is virtually invisible to the casual observer. I flash my palms openly during performance and use it to detect an enormous Spike hidden under a styrofoam cup. It never fails to notify me of precisely where the immediate danger is. For my purposes, this truly is a remarkably hidden and silent assistant.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Can either control or Silent assistant work in conjunction with a Tarantula 2? I am wondering if you could use one to hide a tarantula under and still use flash hands. I don't know if they would stack but just thinking, might have to use on separate fingers. But it would be cool if they did.