The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Canadian book collectors. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, everitt99 wrote:
Picked up a copy of Scarne on Card Tricks recently, signed by the man himself.

Wow! Great find. Congrats. Whereabouts in Csnada are you Everitt?
everitt99
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of everitt99
Yes I was quite excited when I found it for sale. Needless to say I jumped on it pretty quick! And I recently moved into Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Wordsworth wrote:
Ouch on the wallet?

Correct.

...but worth every penny.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just realized I have nice copy of Marked cards and loaded dice by Frank Garcia signed by Garcia.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Did anyone get anything over black friday? Perhaps for Christmas for the deserving magician in your family?
I got four books from Vanishing Inc this year and did pretty well with their free gifts on the side. 20% off the books, which was nice.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Which ones did you get Wordsworth?
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I got:

Cassidy Artful Mentalism 2 - been wanting this one for a long time.
Framework, Tom Frame
Behr, Handcrafted card magic 3
Powers Tesseract - Mostly on impulse, thinking I'd try something 'current'. I've started this, and not completely sold so far.

I've gone crazy since then, also, and have ordered Illusioneer, and Cardboard (Redford). And also have the Helder G book finally on the way, which I pre-ordered back in 2018. All in all, I've got a lot of reading to do now.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Great stuff Wordsworth.
I've just ordered the new Regal book and the new Gagnon book.
But here is the question, are we going to drop $400+ on the new Forte book?
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Interested to see how you find the Regal and Gagnon. I've got four of Regal's books, and was close on this one, but didn't pull the trigger yet. And the Gagnon stuff has always intrigued me.
I had no idea on the price of the Forte was that much. It's supposed to be huge though, I believe. Two volumes and over 1,000 pages long (?) Are you looking at that one?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I got the Forte books the moment they were announced. And so far they are fabulous.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I actually just got hold of Reflections, by Helder G, after trying to track it down for quite a while. Got it from someone on the Café who is in Montreal. So that should make for good reading during this lockdown.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, Ben Train wrote:
I got the Forte books the moment they were announced. And so far they are fabulous.

Glad you're enjoying them. Are the re-prints available somewhere?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, Wordsworth wrote:
I actually just got hold of Reflections, by Helder G, after trying to track it down for quite a while. Got it from someone on the Café who is in Montreal. So that should make for good reading during this lockdown.

I've heard good things about this one as well.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I love the way his cards across looks. It's just beautiful to my eye. It uses contrasting colored backs. If you haven't got Secret Language, that book is great also.
Hope you guys are all doing okay these days.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Doing ok inside with the family.
Great time to dig out more books!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Tonight it's Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields and Aronson's Art Decko.

Best wishes to all my fellow Canadian magic bibliophiles.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Tonight it's Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields and Aronson's Art Decko.

Best wishes to all my fellow Canadian magic bibliophiles.

How do you like those two, Magicfish? I have both on my wishlist, but have neither at the moment. I know Ryan Schlutz has flagged out the Fields book a few times as a gem.

I've been really digging into a couple JK Hartman books this past week, and it inspired me to order After Craft and Caan Craft. Not too sure when they'll arrive given current circumstances, but I love delving into Hartman's thinking.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I am a big Hartman fan.
I have After Craft, Trickery Treats, Card Dupery, Card Dodgery, Card Devilry.

The Fields book is very good, some very devious stuff in there. I use his Cool Spell all the time. There is also an excellent card to card box recommended by the great Paul Chosse

Art Decko is also a great book which I believe has flown under the radar this far.
Among dozens of great items is an impromptu mental card effect which Simon said he had performed more than any other card effect over the past 30 years.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
How is everyone making out this year?
Has anyone been adding to their collection this year with the black Friday sales? Reading up on your old books given wfh situation in much of Canada?
I was down at Browsers in November and got Second Thoughts by Ramon Rioboo. (Have not started it yet). Then I really went crazy in November when the sales started. I think I picked up at least a half dozen books, and will probably add the Gladwyn one too. I always like to do some magic for the family over the holidays. Audiences will be small this year..
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hey Wordsworth. Doing great so far. I hope you and all my fellow canadian magic book lovers are healthy and happy.
There are some great new books upon us.
Jennings and Carney are the two biggies for me.