The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Canadian book collectors. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
76 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2022, PaulPacific wrote:
Welcome Dragonlore. I'm in Toronto too.

Thanks. West side (High Park), you?
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Oakville
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Good day my fellow Canadian bibliophiles.
Today I am the proud owner of a limited, deluxe, collectors edition of The Magic of Gerald Kosky- signed by Kosky and inscribed to Sid Lorraine.
Hope you are all enjoying your books!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hello again fellas. I hope you're all enjoying this summer weather. I've been going through my library and I had forgotten how many signed copies I have.
Book of Secrets signed by Carney
Deluxe Collectors Revolutionary Card Technique signed by Cutler.
Tricks signed by Ben.
Card Manipulations signed by Hugard.
And many more including many of my Lorayne books.
Do you gents own some special signed volumes?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I’ve got a copy of Expert Coin Magic signed to me by David Roth when he lectured here in Montreal many years ago.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
76 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Whenever I am buying a book from a contemporary author, I try to buy a signed copy directly from the author.
So far, I have signed (and/or dedicated) books by Gene Anderson, Doug Dyment, Roberto Giobbi, Pit Hartling, Patrick Redford, David Regal & Dr Michael Rubinstein.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Delighted that my some of my dedicated books include those by:

Roberto Giobbi, Colin McCleod, Joshua Jay, Andi Gladwin, Derren Brown, Eric Mead, Michael Weber, Gene Anderson, Eugene Burger, Jamy Ian Swiss, John Carney, John Lovick, John Graham, Magic Christian, Max Maven, Michael Ammar, Paul Gordon, Paul Vigil, Pit Hartling, Steve Beam, Steve Cook, Ted Lesley, Tom Baxter, Tom Craven, Rob Zabrecky, Keiron Johnson, John Galsworthy and Paul Brook

Feel extremely fortunate to have encountered these fine folk.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just realized my copy of Approaching Magic is signed by David Regal!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Good evening fellow Canadian bibliophiles,
My local used bookshop had a sale on today and I found a nice little book called Simple Numerology by Damian Sharp.
A little gem for 3 bucks. Delightful.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2022, Bruce T wrote:
Delighted that my some of my dedicated books include those by:

Roberto Giobbi, Colin McCleod, Joshua Jay, Andi Gladwin, Derren Brown, Eric Mead, Michael Weber, Gene Anderson, Eugene Burger, Jamy Ian Swiss, John Carney, John Lovick, John Graham, Magic Christian, Max Maven, Michael Ammar, Paul Gordon, Paul Vigil, Pit Hartling, Steve Beam, Steve Cook, Ted Lesley, Tom Baxter, Tom Craven, Rob Zabrecky, Keiron Johnson, John Galsworthy and Paul Brook

Feel extremely fortunate to have encountered these fine folk.

Wow! This is great, Bruce. You've met lot's of great magicians, and, obviously have an impressive library.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Good day Canadians. Since it's almost to the end of the year now, I was wondering if anyone got any great books this year. It does seem like there were a few good releases this year. But new releases, classics, hidden gems.. whatever you guys think is cool.

I have bought very little this year, which is unusual for me, but did start reading "The Magic of Jonathan Friedman: the musical" which has been a pleasant surprise, and of course always catching up and rereading all the oldies and goodies. I planned to buy the Chadwick book, but it has sold out for the moment.

Any good recommendations anyone can share? Maybe something we can keep our eyes open for in case of boxing day sales?
Hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying the season this year, and having a good time with the family and friends.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I picked up Magical Heroes by John Fischer and really enjoyed reading that over the Holidays. Some great insights into some magic Icons. Also recently acquired the new book on Merv Taylor which also contains instruction sheets from most of his commercial releases, great reference book. I buy less "trick" books these days as the shelves are overflowing with those ;0
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
You raise a good point, JM. A lot of the talk centers around the "trick" books, but there are lots of great books about this subject in general that are good reads. It seems that more biographies and history are showing up lately. A few along those lines that I picked up and read recently were the Kalush Houdini bio, and a couple of Jim Steinmeyer's (including the Chung Ling Soo book). And I also discovered and purchased a couple novels from an old Richard Osterlind interview that some have possibly heard of: Psychic Mafia, and Nightmare Alley. Guillermo Del Toro has done a film on Nightmare Alley that I have not watched yet but plan to see once I finish the book.
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2022, Wordsworth wrote:

Any good recommendations anyone can share? Maybe something we can keep our eyes open for in case of boxing day sales?

The Hermit's first year is in print. The first volume seems to be quite substantive and it's a great way to support a Canadian based magic magazine. Scott Baird is a Canadian magician.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2023, Wordsworth wrote:
You raise a good point, JM. A lot of the talk centers around the "trick" books, but there are lots of great books about this subject in general that are good reads. It seems that more biographies and history are showing up lately. A few along those lines that I picked up and read recently were the Kalush Houdini bio, and a couple of Jim Steinmeyer's (including the Chung Ling Soo book). And I also discovered and purchased a couple novels from an old Richard Osterlind interview that some have possibly heard of: Psychic Mafia, and Nightmare Alley. Guillermo Del Toro has done a film on Nightmare Alley that I have not watched yet but plan to see once I finish the book.

I have and have read all of those and great reads. Psychic Mafia is pretty fascinating. Nightmare Alley is a classic. The new movie is great and I also have the original which is also very good.
arielf
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
133 Posts

Profile of arielf
I'm not a book collector by any stretch of the imagination (although I do have a sizable magic library). But as of yesterday, I'm the proud owner of copy #47 of the limited edition of a brand new book, "Diamonds of Performance" by Christian Bischof of Switzerland. It's an important book and you'll be hearing much about it in the near future.
Ariel Frailich - I Saw That! Exclusive Magic, publisher of Sub Rosa, Reading Writing, Card Stories, Performing Magic for Children and other fine magic books.
https://isawthat.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm intrigued, Ariel, Ill keep an eye out.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hey gang, hope you are all well and happy. I am certainly happy- I am the proud new owner of the Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick and Very Hush Hush by John Bannon.
Let the fun begin!
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2023, bentpenny wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2022, Wordsworth wrote:

The Hermit's first year is in print. The first volume seems to be quite substantive and it's a great way to support a Canadian based magic magazine. Scott Baird is a Canadian magician.

Thanks, bentpenny. Just joined the CAM and am happy to report that Vol. 2 is on the way this December!
Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Great news, Scott. Will Volume 1 be reprinted?