The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: The Little Box of Spirits (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I see that Gemini Artifacts will now be offering this item.

I purchased it through Alchemy Moon a few months ago.

I definitely recommend it! It's my favorite bizarre purchase this year.

The more-than-thorough instruction manual describes the specific effect for which the box was designed. I feel, however, that the potential of The Little Box of Spirits's use as a utility device has been, thus far, undersold. There is absolutely no reason to be restricted to the routine described in the manual. In fact, the title of the manual is "A Box With many Tales." I thought of a number of different plots right away (including a happy ending twist on the routine described in the manual).

The box's secrets exist on a number of levels and whether or not they are all revealed is up to the individual performer in any given performance. One of the box's secrets reminded me right away of the clock (and the plot) from the Abbott & Costello movie "The Time of Their Lives" (For those of you who were involved in MatCult's collective, you may remember I wrote an article about that movie in the "Seance" volume).

Not since Bobby Hasbun's "Inferno" has an effect sparked my imagination. I hope a forum is created somewhere where owners of the Little Box of Spirits can brainstorm. I look forward to sharing my ideas in more detail and in seeing what others come up with.

A job very well done by Paul Kostrach and Chris Gould!

https://geminiartifacts.com/collections/......-spirits
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Backing up MG here. A wonderful prop all the way around. The plot is intriguing, and the box looks refreshingly different than the usual dusty old wood box we've seen so much of (not that there's anything wrong with dusty old wood, at least that's what I tell my wife...). And, if you don't care to follow the routine, the box doubles as a utility device, so it's a win for everyone.

Recommended!!!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
The box is built like a tank, quality construction from Paul. His craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing. It not only looks authentic it works like a charm and is small enough to carry around easily. One of Chris's stories for this effect is super creepy and disturbing and well thought out. My favorite story from him hands down. The book regarding his thinking towards performance ideas and mechanics is gold and interesting to read from start to finish there is no filler. Chris can be a funny guy (sorry Chris), he has no ego and tells it like it is. It shows in his writing. Maybe that's why I like the man so much.

You may use it as a magic utility device. However, the strength of the box is to use the hidden features to support the story and to create the effect of real magic not tada magic. Chris and Paul work well in tandem and are successful in their approach. I dislike performing magic tricks, this is not a magic trick.

I can honestly say I own most of Alchemy Moon's stuff and this is one of my favorites. You won't be sorry you bought it and you will most likely never sell it. This is top shelf work, I guarantee it. I also know how hard it is to make and how long it takes Paul to make it. You are definitely getting your monies worth that's for sure. The time both of them spent on this, they can't charge what it's worth. I would expect they will NOT be making a lot of these, so if you wait until they are sold out you will be kicking yourself. I would be surprised if there were fewer than 10-20 (I have no idea).

I wish I could balance this review with some brutally honest negatives. I have thought long and hard about that. But the box is so well made and attractive and the routine and information in the book is solid. I wasn't fond of the key on the string, I won't use it but that's about it. This is not hype and if you get it, you will know I'm telling the truth.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Very tempted!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I love mine .... It's sitting right in front of the screen as I type this.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Love this one. Need to put it to work more often.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
597 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Sold out...
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Yep just saw they sold out this morning, was hoping there would be a couple left today when I was able to have the funds & get to the bank after work.....now hoping there will be 1 more possible run on these.....
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
597 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
There will certainly be a run on that run Smile
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I really appreciate the detailed reviews on this, guys. I completely bypassed this at ECSS, thinking it was basically just another pendulum board, which I have little interest in. This is good info; seems like a great item. I, too, will look forward to a future run of this.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
As soon as Paul put them out at the last ECSS I was on them like Jack Skellington "What is this" as the title had Bizarrists two favorite words Box+ Spirits and I can say it is indeed a winner, the first thing I noticed was the craftsmanship it worked as smooth as could be wanted and had a feel unlike a standard prop, when you can get one don't wait, buy
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
So right Vlad. Box + Spirits = Vanishing Cash.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

I love how the dirty work is done at exactly the same moment one of the secrets of the box is revealed. I also love how examinable the box is afterwards. In fact, you actually want your spectator to examine it and to discover another one of the box's secrets.

At the risk of sounding technical, The Little Box of Spirits is a really neat item. Smile
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
I hope to see this property at ECSS IV.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
I will have a small number of these with me at ECSS IV, and Vic will have more on the Gemini site as soon as I can get another small run done. As mentioned above, these do take some time to make, and I have other items to build for ECSS too (plus a couple of new items in the works), so it's hard to say exactly when they will be ready. But they will definitely still be in production for the time being, as we haven't put a cap on the total run yet.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, glad you like them!
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
The most objective reviewers in Spooky are struggling to find an improvement on this effect. That has my attention.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Sir wrote:
The most objective reviewers in Spooky are struggling to find an improvement on this effect. That has my attention.

Everything put out by Alchemy Moon has had years of thought and development. YEARS. There is no filler; I'm continually astounded by their offerings. No idea why things like the new Artifactum aren't getting more discussion on the boards here.
Am I missing something? Is there another forum "Spooky" I'm not aware of? It seemed like you were referring to reviews I haven't seen on the Café.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I use this in combination with Fortune 500 .. I think it's my favorite effect to date. I may video a performance this season. I also use it with my Calaveras cards if I don't use the expansion method.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

This is again available at Gemini
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd get one if available. I'm positive that one day Paul will be recognized as a world class artisan if not already. These are definitely works of art.