The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Why would penguin put this on youtube? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C

Seems like a little blatant exposure for the purpose of sales doesn't it?
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Is this really any more of an "exposure" than the dozens of online magic shops that describe effects and make clear that the purchase includes a gimmick? Is there some huge audience of laypeople who watch the YouTube channels of magic dealers, but would never have thought to visit the same dealer's own website to look at the descriptions of effects? Specifically identifying the gimmick as a flipper coin (if that's the objection) is going to be meaningless to anyone who isn't already familiar with it, and redundant to anyone who is.
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Over 11,000 people viewed the video to date. Rick Lax has a lot of laymen followers from his Facebook page so he should be more careful about what he discusses and reveals on social media. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was kicked off the Café because of his behaviour. He appears to be modelling himself on Brian Brushwood. Not a good move imho.

I suggest he removes the exposure video asap.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Don't think he was kicked off. He just doesn't post anymore.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
If anyone knows how I can get this in the 2 pound coin version I'd be very grateful.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yeah, that's more information than needed to sell the trick in my opinion. Unfortunately, the issue of exposure isn't even a consideration for many magicians these days.

This video made me laugh for another reason. Rick points out that the coin allows you to show two coins and turn them into one AND you can show three coins and turn them into two. Hey, that's two tricks right there.

I even thought of another trick myself. You could show four coins and turn them into three! (If you buy this coin and want the details of my trick just pm me)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
This is a 2014 video and you guys have too much free time to be worried about nothing.

Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Lseeyou,

Thank you for using your free time to comment on how I spend my free time.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Mike,

You seem to be in the know. Do you think there is anway I could use this to show five coins and turn them into four?
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, MazingMandy wrote:
Mike,

You seem to be in the know. Do you think there is anway I could use this to show five coins and turn them into four?

I'm not mike so I'm not sure about that but I know of a trick where you show six cards take away three and still have six...
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Yeah, that's more information than needed to sell the trick in my opinion. Unfortunately, the issue of exposure isn't even a consideration for many magicians these days.

This video made me laugh for another reason. Rick points out that the coin allows you to show two coins and turn them into one AND you can show three coins and turn them into two. Hey, that's two tricks right there.

I even thought of another trick myself. You could show four coins and turn them into three! (If you buy this coin and want the details of my trick just pm me)

That was my point. Way to much information to sell the trick. It used to be show the effect as a teaser. But this simply gives it all away.

Lax should be ashamed of himself.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
That would imply he was capable of acknowledging fault in himself, and also the ability of feeling guilt for it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Get the torches and pitchforks I say.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I guess Mark Mason is okay with it???
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
At 1:40 in the video he says this gravity flipper "locks together with a magnet" which means you can actually make the magic happen in the spectators hand. that's not true!!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2579 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Is it true enough that the spec can examine it after it locks?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
You COULD make the magic happen in the spectator's hand. The spectator can hold the gimmick but they can't inspect the gimmick so it would require management (ie take the coin back immediately). Under a performing situation where the volunteer is well chosen this would be no problem. Performing for your friends at school...no way.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
It does not "lock".

Look, this video is from 2014, so if there was an issue, I think it would have been removed. discussion of "latest and greatest" complete.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The phrase "locks together with a magnet is pretty clear.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I agree that it's a very old video, and if it was an issue would likely have been removed long ago. It's also only had 11,000 views since 2014, a number of which were probably in the past day, so that's not too much impact outside of the magic community.

As far as in the spectators hands go - isn't that basically what Eric Jones did in his AGT routine? I realize it may not have been a Mark Mason Double Deception, but otherwise roughly the same idea - and it worked just fine.

I am surprised about the inspectable, bit, though, I was under the impression that this version of the gaff *did* lock so that it was moderately examinable ... unless that person also happens to have a PK ring!