The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: SansMinds Magic :: Vanishing Sharpie by SansMinds Creative Lab (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Checking back to see if anyone has this and would share their thoughts and opinions.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Knowing the original vanishing pen, this would probably look nice as a production as well.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
I have their vanishing pen and it's really quite good. But I agree with the others who said that the price ($55.00) is a bit high for the Sharpie version. If SansMinds plans to move any volume of this product they really should revisit the pricing.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Well, I ended up buying this and just received it today.
First impression is very, very good. I am happy I got it.

From the minute I first got the pen version way back when I wished that they would produce a Sharpie version. I felt that then they would really have something. I think there may even be an old post from the old pen thread where I stated that. Or someone else did and I agreed. So anyway, I couldn't really resist the temptation to get this one.

Granted, it is quite a bit more expensive than the pen version and I always liked the pen, but just found it difficult to work into any of my existing routines and never felt like carrying 2 extra pens around just for the one effect. So it wound up in a drawer.

But I can really see myself getting some use out of this one. I can carry this and Platt's Sharpie Quickie and have a couple non-card/coin effects always on me while taking up virtually no additional pocket space. For all intents and purposes it looks exactly like a standard Sharpie (no "Shurpie" or anything like that.)

There is a lot more detail involved with this version compared to the pen so I can accept the higher price tag. It seems to be very well made but my only concern is that because of the printing on it, there is a possibility that it could show signs of wear over time and the gaff really needs to match your other regular Sharpie reasonably well, it can't be blatantly different. But I guess only time will tell.

Assuming it holds up well enough I would say Sansmind did an incredible job producing this extremely genuine looking facsimile.
I've always said I'd rather spend twice as much and have something I can actually use, so I guess this was an opportunity to practice what I preach. Smile
Martin Adams
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Martin Adams
I loved the pen version but carrying 2 pens just for that... I think the Sharpie version is just a logical "next step". If you find a good use of it 55 is fine IMHO but just for fun yes its expensive.

Now its available at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products......tive-lab

Best,
Martin
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, videoman wrote:
It seems to be very well made but my only concern is that because of the printing on it, there is a possibility that it could show signs of wear over time and the gaff really needs to match your other regular Sharpie reasonably well, it can't be blatantly different. But I guess only time will tell.

Assuming it holds up well enough I would say Sansmind did an incredible job producing this extremely genuine looking facsimile.

Videoman - I can't help but notice in the trailer that the Vanishing Sharpie looks dull compared with a normal Sharpie.
Is this true in real life?

Click here to view attached image.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Lee, because of the type of material the gimmick is made out of, yes it can get a little dull due to handling it. But I believe you can shine it up again although I have not felt a need to do this. It is normally just slightly duller in appearance and not something I am concerned about anyone noticing, especially since the gimmick is not seen for very long and is generally in motion until you wrap it with paper. If desired, you can wrap it so almost the entire pen is covered if you are concerned about it. But personally I wouldn't worry about it.
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
If you hold this in view will it look suspicious? The pen I could just set on the table before going into the effect and it didn't look any different.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
1 gig will pay for the high price. That makes the purchase much easier.

If the price of magic tricks go up much more I will need the same fee David Copperfield charges.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
It's interesting to see how many people complaining about the price. I don't think $55.00 is unreasonable. The concern that the regular sharpie may not match the gimmicked one seems to be an easy fix. Just make the regular sharpie match the gimmicked one.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
755 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
First review on Penguin so far isn't good: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23744#reviews
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
I honestly don't get that Penguin review. Not sure how you could love the pen version and not like this, it's exactly the same.
It's totally fine that they don't like it, or consider it overpriced, those things are subjective. But to say it's horrible and looks nothing like a Sharpie is just so far from my own experience and opinion that it makes me think that they either got a really bad one or I got a really good one.
I've had it sitting out on my desk and have picked it up to write thinking it was an actual Sharpie at least 10 times already over the last couple weeks, and I usually consider myself to be more picky than average about these types of things. So the 1 star review really confuses me.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
755 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Good to know videoman. Thanks for sharing your experience!
kcbeave
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
The penguin review could be someone that really like it and wants to keep it away from as many people as possible.
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
423 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
It looks and feels perfect. You can write with it if you feel that you need to. The weight is substantial like that of a Sharpie.
I missed out on the first iteration of the vanishing pen so I cannot compare them directly. I don't think that
it will look as pristine after a few months of use (hoping that it makes it to at least 4 months) but even then I'll just
transition to a, "Oh, This Sharpie is running out of ink and is starting to look a little worn." as a motivation for the vanish.
Quite happy with this.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Infographicmagicreviews
View Profile
Regular user
Nelson
137 Posts

Profile of Infographicmagicreviews
I don't own this effect but in general I would never believe a review from a person that is not a verified buyer. Penguin has that icon function for a reason

Quote:
On Oct 11, 2017, Phatmeat wrote:
First review on Penguin so far isn't good: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23744#reviews
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2017, JosephKerr wrote:
It looks and feels perfect. You can write with it if you feel that you need to. The weight is substantial like that of a Sharpie.
I missed out on the first iteration of the vanishing pen so I cannot compare them directly. I don't think that
it will look as pristine after a few months of use (hoping that it makes it to at least 4 months) but even then I'll just
transition to a, "Oh, This Sharpie is running out of ink and is starting to look a little worn." as a motivation for the vanish.
Quite happy with this.

So you can also write with this pen? If that's the case I will be buying one soon?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
I'd use the term "write with it" very loosely. You can only write with it in the same way that you can "write" with many other Sharpie gaffs.
Not to mention that if you ink it up you'll likely get ink all over your hand(s) when you cause it to vanish.
I wouldn't buy it thinking you can write like a normal Sharpie.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Smile Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C
Besides, if you make it vanish shouldn't the ink vanish too?