The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: SansMinds Magic :: Vanishing Sharpie by SansMinds Creative Lab (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of Magic KL

It is a great idea, but kind of expensive...especially when you compared it to Vanishing Pen. It's almost 2x more...
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2579 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I noticed when he pulls his hands back he has no sharpie ink on his hand. Am I just thinking like a magician that without some form of marker on his hand, layman may think gimmick?
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
I'd be more concerned about the fact that its SansMinds than the fact that there is no ink on the hand...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Really likes their pen version and always wished someone would put out a Sharpie version.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
The pen was actually good. No reason to think this won't be. But the price...yeah....
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
711 Posts

Profile of brandon90
55 is very steep - great effect and something I've been waiting for since Vanishing Pen - I don't think I'll take the plunge for that price.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Not for 55.00 doubt it will sell Crazy price what are they thinking ?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
I noticed when he pulls his hands back he has no sharpie ink on his hand. Am I just thinking like a magician that without some form of marker on his hand, layman may think gimmick?

Yes, you are just thinking like a magician. No layman will think of that. Besides, the effect is not that you crush a sharpie, it's that you vanish a sharpie. Smashing your hands together proves that the sharpie has vanished, not that it's shrinking from existence. If there WAS a mark on your hand, THEN laymen would point it out and think they somehow caught a part of your secret.

$55 for an impressive and exceptionally practical effect to perform in professional strolling situations - why are people complaining?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

^ a great point...except for the price part. Just seems odd that its nearly double what they charged for the regular vanishing pen, is all.

I would have considered it otherwise. For now, I'll just stick with the flip stick or a good ol fashion up the nose vanish!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 1, 2017, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
^ a great point...except for the price part. Just seems odd that its nearly double what they charged for the regular vanishing pen, is all.

I would have considered it otherwise. For now, I'll just stick with the flip stick or a good ol fashion up the nose vanish!

You shouldn't be comparing them, it's irrelevant! If you had to justify the price hike, here's how: A bic pen is not in a worker's pocket. A sharpie IS. Making it a sharpie has made it super workable for working pros.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Completely relevant as it is the same effect! And it's a small one at that, methinks. At least the pen was priced commensurately.

I hear you though. And I know It's all to the eye of the beholder. But, for me, since the overall effect is kind of small to begin with, I'll stick to the other, just as effective methods to vanish/manipulate a sharpie (I recommend the Pencyclopedia DVD as a great resource for all things Sharpie ).

Had this Sharpie been less, it would have been a nice impulse buy. Unfortunately, I just don't care enough about the effect to take the plunge at $55 + ship + tax.

That said, I have no doubt many others will love it and put it to good use. And if they ever tire of their copy, I will happily take it off their hands at a pre-owned price!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
The pen is simply 6" of the gaff material which is probably off the shelf material, or at least pretty easy to manufacture.
The Sharpie is tapered and then has a very tapered end at the bottom. Plus, it has printing on both sides and is a particular shade of gray.
It's obviously targeted more at working pros who already carry Sharpies, otherwise just do the pen version.

But add all those extra things up and it comes out to twice as much. Although it would be great if it could be sold at the same price as the pen it still seems pretty fair to me all things considered. It's kind of like comparing a Johnson Hopping Half to custom gaff maker. You pay more for a better product that is more useable.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2579 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Lolololol. Nice one Patrick
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Touche. But it wasn't thaaaat funny...c'mon Smile

I think the real humor is in spending $55+ for a Sharpie sponge.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

It wasn't meant as a burn, it simply perfectly illustrated my original point. The creators are allowed to charge whatever the heck they want for their vanishing sharpie - you buy it or you don't. Creators put out products to make money, who cares how much they marked it up. That's the price, you don't get to bargain. To a worker, $55 is more than made back in one gig...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:

Well, I do agree that as with so many of these types of gaffs, it really all comes down to how realistic the Sharpie looks.
If it looks as good in real life as it does in the video then I have no issue with the price.
But if doesn't pass muster then I'd feel ripped off if it were one tenth the price.

The main issue seems to be in comparison to the pen versions price. If the pen didn't exist I'm not sure there would be the same degree of sticker shock that some seem to be experiencing.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

True. One could complain about the price of all tricks. I'm sure we have all paid over $55 for the silliest of trinkets.

Like PG said, though, the creators can indeed charge whatever so all good. I just think it was a mistake as it is no longer a quick impulse buy (for most) like the pen was.

I'm sure those who purchase it though will enjoy it.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:

What's funny is you think it's sponge. I saw these at Magic Live. These are a rigid vinyl or something like it.
Official Thread Killer
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

It was intended hyperbole.